Search Unity

Feedback (Case 1161379) 2019.3: Reporting bug significantly slower than in previous releases

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Peter77, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

Submitting a bug-report with Unity 2019.3 is significantly slower than in previous releases.

Reproduce
    • Create new project
    • Press Window > Report a Bug
    • Submit that bug report
    • Repeat these steps with Unity 4.6 and Unity 2019.3

Actual
    Submitting a bug-report with Unity 2019.3 is about 60 times slower than in earlier versions.

In my test:
    Unity 4.6 = 1 second
    Unity 2019.3 = 60 seconds

Expected
    Newer Unity versions should not be slower than older ones.

2. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I can confirm this on my end. Submitted one yesterday, with a project that's mostly empty (a few MB total, including Library) and it took several minutes.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. bugfinders

bugfinders

it would make sense that unity dont zip the .git, and any of the other unnecessary folders (Library, logs, obj, temp..) when taking a copy of the project.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA replied with:
    I asked the following additional question:
    QA replied with:
    Unfortunately, still not sure what specifically "the project" means, but I'm not going to further bother QA.

5. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

I presume it attaches the Library folder, which contains PackageCache, which is a copy of all used packages, and ScriptAssemblies, which now contains all compiled assemblies for all packages used, as well as the usual Assembly-CSharp dlls. As a result *a lot* of stuff that used to be part of the Unity distribution and not packaged now live in the project hierarchy.

I would hope it does not contain the Documentation directories of all packages, although I somehow suspect that it does. Those can be big.

6. slime73

slime73

If Unity is sending that sort of information in bug reports without an opt-in for it, I guess they didn't think about larger projects at all. The Library folder on my system for one such project is 27 GB, and the project minus the Library folder is 110 GB.

7. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

You cannot really submit large projects via the bug reporter. I’ve always had to create repro projects for all bugs I’ve ever reported.

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Peter77 likes this.
  9. Peter77

Peter77

Great improvement! Submitting an empty project is quite faster than a few weeks ago. It takes about 20 seconds now, rather then 60 seconds. Unfortunately it's still slower than 4.6.

Here is a video I captured a minute ago.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019