Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1140018) Laptop cuts power when using Unity after Nvidia 417.71 driver

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by optimise, Aug 5, 2019.

1. optimise

optimise

Since Unity 2019.2 beta has ended. I post at here again. I believe it's still not fixed at 2019.3 yet.

I already getting no fix for months. Even now with the latest Nvidia driver I still get the same issue. It still cut the power of my laptop. I only able to reproduce this problem in Unity and no problem at any other software I used. Something wrong with Unity seriously and this problem really need to get fix asap. If one day new Unity version introduces some new features that requires new Nvidia driver I will not able to use that features. Fun fact the game build with Unity does not cut the power of my laptop. So, I believe it's Unity Editor problem that emits something.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you mean exactly by "laptop cuts power"?

3. optimise

optimise

It's something like safety system that protects laptop from short circuit. Or can says it turn off power immediately like you holding power button to power off directly when Windows totally freezes and not able to shut down.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah. Are you sure your laptop can handle Unity? That your GPU is not damaged?

5. optimise

optimise

Nope. Before that I also think like but a lot of testing proves me that it's not and Nvidia also able to reproduce the bug.

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

7. optimise

optimise

8. What do you need to reproduce this behavior? Because I have a laptop with a desktop GTX 1080 in it and with the Nvidia driver 431.60 in it, I'm playing with Unity versions a lot 2018.LTS+ including alpha and nothing like this happened.
    Could you please describe what do I need to see this effect?

9. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Have you tried if FurMark in the extreme setting does this too? It sounds like the overload protection kicking in in either the GPU power supply, or the main power supply.

10. optimise

optimise

Just create HDRP project template from Unity Hub. I guess the bug only happens at specific laptops. I'm using Clevo P650RS-G with GTX 1070 (Non-Max Q).

I only tried Superposition with no issue but just create HDRP project template from Unity Hub already can reproduce bug seems like not the overload issue. I believe there are some code instructions emitting from Unity Editor have race condition with Nvidia driver with specific hardware configuration.

11. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I have same laptop GPU and driver and was unable to reproduce :(

12. optimise

optimise

Hi @LeonhardP, any new progress for this case?