Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[CASE 1090068/1090073/1090075]Many issue with Mac Standalone build

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by aurelien-morel-ubiant, Oct 12, 2018.

1. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello,
    sorry for this spam but I found many issues during my MAC Standalone build.
    I will all report them here cause they are all related to the player settings module.

- The first one was :
    The icon not set during the building process but it's already reported in the "knwon issues" so i didn't report it again ;)

- The second one is reported in my case number 1090068 and the behaviour is :
    Fullscreen with Metal API will create an ugly shadowed cursor.
    The cursor on MAC OS X 10.13 (maybe other OS X too I had only this one) will display an ugly shadow under cursor in fullscreen with Auto graphics API for Mac. The same issue happens if you unselect Auto but set Metal API on top of the Graphics API list on Mac.
    Using OpenGLCore doesn't generate this issue.
    Start the generated app in windowed will not generate the issue even with Metal API activated

- The third is reported in my case number 1090073 and the behaviour is :
    No windowed mode without resolution dialog display.
    Build a version and choose Windowed without resolution dialog popup (so choose disabled) in this field and the build version will always be display in full screen.

- The fourth (and last one) is reported in my case number 1090075 and the behaviour is :
    Hidden by default doesn't work as expected - Resolution dialog always displayed
    When you build a version with the option "Hidden by Default" in Display Resolution Dialog, the resolution dialog will always be displayed even when you don't press the "alt" key at startup.

I hope I missed nothing... If anyone experienced those bugs feel free to comment (or if anyone doesn't)

Cheers,
    Aurelien.

User340 and LeonhardP like this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

3. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

mmm for 3 of them yes but for this one :

I'm not sure it's something related to the resolution dialog popup.
    Or maybe you have another Issue Tracker ticket that I missed @LeonhardP ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yeah, that's a separate thing that we're still investigating. But apparently QA has trouble reproducing it. Did you get their email?

5. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

mmm I don't receive anything concerning this issue.
    In fact there is a message in fogbuzz from your QA but I received no mail from this case (quite weird)
    I received only one mail concerning the case 1090073 - No windowed mode without resolution dialog display
    Cause the tester doesn't test the good thing so I explained it a more detailled process.

I would maybe generate 2 little gif example to show you the issue and how I reproduced it here.

Edit : Seems to be quite hard on a Mac cause the fullscreen app seems to start on a second desktop so my gif capture is setup for the first desktop not the second fake desktop that contains the fullscreen aplication.
    So I can capture all my parameters but not this one.

Edit 2 :
    I finally find a solution, I will answer to my ticket with those elements but I will put them here too.
    Here are the steps to generate a buggy cursor build with Metal API :

Here is the buggy fullscreen build result :

Here are the steps for the OpenGLCore API no buggy cursor :

Here is the fullscreen build without issue result :

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thank you very much Aurelien! Could you please tell me which email provider you're using (personal message is fine)? We're having issues with being blocked by some providers.

7. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

You're welcome ! I hope it will be enough to help you to find this nasty one !
    I hope it's enough to see the shadowed outline around mouse cursor with Metal API Fullscreen build ?
    I'm using Gmail as mail provider. But it's the first time a mail notification isn't redirect to me with your fogbuzz.

8. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@LeonhardP I made a lot of progress on the 2 lefting bugs !

Concerning the case 1090068 :
    the issue seems to be something related to the hardware on our Mac.
    we use a MacBook Air released in mid-2013 and the issue happens but when your QA team test on a 2014 or 2015 mac Mini the issue doesn't !
    So I found a Mac Mini here (which a 2015 I think) and the issue seems to be gone too.
    So for me it's probably something related to Metal API + hardware on this Mac, as I reported to your QA Team.

Concerning the case 1090073 :
    I think I found what happens !

For me it's a bug, but I don't know what could be done to fix this thing in a "good way".

Full explanation :
    You build for the first time an application on a Desktop machine.
    On this first time build you setup a "No Resolution Dialog" AND "Fullscreen Exclusive"
    Then you build and when you start the application it's all setup as you wanted (So in fullscreen) !

BUT

Next, if the developer want to rebuild this application with "No Resolution Dialog" AND "Windowed" (For example).
    You build and start your game and the game will start as a fullscreen application and not as a window !

All of this happens cause those value are setup in the Windows registry or plist on Mac or whatever.
    If you don't delete the registry entries between 2 builds, this one will keep the value from the first build you started !

So when you just update an application on a desktop where you don't use the resolution dialog popup and where you want to change the fullscreen display of your application (windowed, fullscreen, etc...) you are screwed :/

I think our bug is this one.

Don't know what we can do to fix this but for us it's quite an issue cause it's hard to say to a user to delete their registry entries (beginner user etc... can't handle this).

Cheers,
    Aurelien

LeonhardP and Cromfeli like this.
  9. Are you asking your users to overwrite the game's executable? I guess not, so if you want to update the exe, you write an updater, right? You also can write a registry updater as well in the mean time if you want. (Until Unity can fix this problem)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.win32.registry?view=netframework-4.7.2

10. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Yeah, we give the build through a drive (cause it's not a game but an application) so we asked them to just overwrite the app file on Mac, unzip it in a new folder on Windows/Linux. But the plist/regedit entries stay the same cause it's link to the combo "company / product name".

The updater could be a solution but I don't know if it worth to spend time on it for the few update we made on PlayerSettings. This fullscreen issue was just something we detect during our last builds cause by default it was setup to fullscreen so someone asked us if it was possible to get a window maximized or just a window at least and "tada" issue.
    We wil think to this registry updater anyway cause it could be something useful for other things than just Unity values.

11. Oh, if it like this 'users do things by hand themselves', you can get away with a .reg file, just export the proper keys into a file and ask them to double click it and allow to update the registry, you don't need to write a software if it's not a userbase-wide problem.

aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.
  12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Maybe implement a Resolution and Fullscreen Mode option in your in-game options screen? It allows the gamer to change it in the final product and your developers can use it during development too.

I had the same problem and that's the solution I came up with ;)

13. Lukas_Andriejunas

Lukas_Andriejunas

Unity Technologies

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It's a bug on Apple's side. We've notified them.

15. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Yep, I received the QA answer :) thanks !