Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(Case 1082979) Editor loop 98%

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by TokyoWarfareProject, Sep 18, 2018.

1. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

This is not exclusive of the beta, this has happened to me in 2018.2 too

upload_2018-9-18_21-39-39.png

Renders editor unusable.
    THis time I launched profiler prior to game, but launching also after had same effect.

DaveMero likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Did you report a bug for this yet?

3. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Nope :D

The thing is , that I've reported like 4/5 and All are linked to my project witch I've uploade full in its current state, and while sure your workers have an NDA signed with your company, Unity has no NDA with me and the more I report I feel it is being handed by more ppl I don´t even know who they are and t it make me feel a bit nervous :)

Also, setting the project up and running is not the fastest thing to do on your end, rebuild library, reimprot prefabs etc takes like 1h . So may be if you could make one or two QA devs already working with a reported issue with the project handle this I wouldnt mind that much.

Sorry for being bit paranoid but is the source of a crapton of work after all :D

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

That's understandable and I'm trying to get this issue of unclarity regarding the bug reporting process addressed. Submitting another bug report won't expose you further, though, but it will make dealing with the issue much more straightforward.

5. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Submited bug and reported some BUG reports that had the project linked, if on of those testers could handle the bug will rapidly see.
    I see beta2 is available, will try to test it tonight and see if keeps happening. Will also upgrade the whole project and see if other issue remain or new arise.
    edit: editor notifies of new unity beta but available for download is still beta 1, I assume this is a matter of time propagation etc...etc...

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot!

7. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

OK so I was developing on 2018.2 I really needed to run profiler because on Xbox game is running like **** while on PC is running like a missile and PIX seems to show a massive overhead on CPU aparently due to camera render, I'm not yet used to PIX blablalba, so I was gettin gthis terrible editor overhead and I could not profile, looking at the profiler window, there are some top buttons, Checked" profile editor" in next run so it tells you what is eating resources due to editor and when clicking it off it started profiling the game regularly, hope this can be a clue.

editor overhead is now 25% is a hit but does not crush performance/editor as before

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. Deeeds

Deeeds

The editor ALWAYS causes a huge hit on Macs. Something to do with the way the UI is rendered, made MUCH worse by anything getting updated.

Best way around this is to deselect everything and close as many panels as possible, particularly Inspectors.

9. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Interesting, I'm on Win10 tho.

And to get it clear tha 25% takes like 10ms now while the 98% caused collapse with like a couple thousand ms.

DaveMero likes this.
  10. Deeeds

Deeeds

Sorry to hear you're suffering this.

On the Mac, it's insufferable. Much more like the 98% experience, the game is unplayable if the hero with all its changes is selected and open in an Inspector.

11. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Could you try hitting the "profile editor" button as I suggested and see if that makes any change? It was like for you before I did so. It was unprofilable and I could not get a clue on what I had to optimice

12. Deeeds

Deeeds

Profiler is no help. It matches the Stats view, 180fps to 240fps...

It doesn't see the problems caused by the updating of the Editor, which is causing the playback to run at well under 15fps, perhaps as low as 3 or 4fps sometimes.