Search Unity

✨ Cartoon FX Remaster ✨

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jean-Moreno, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Hi there, it's been a while!

Cartoon FX Remaster is kind of a new stylized VFX pack!
    "Kind of" because it's a free update to Cartoon FX Pack 1, with all effects remade from scratch: new textures, new shaders, new particle systems, new script!

Cartoon FX 1 was one of the first popular stylized VFX pack on the Asset Store, and it was time for it to get a nice overhaul 8 years after its initial release!

The result is a collection of 50+ unique effects (+ variants) with:
    • Better visuals
    • Better performance/optimizations
    • Works in 2D & 3D
    • Works with the Built-in and URP (Forward & 2D) render pipelines
    • Works nicely on both mobile and desktop/consoles
    • Camera shake and animated lights with in-editor preview (linked to the Particle System UI)
    • Shadow casting when relevant with dithered shadows (e.g. smoke particles)
    • HDR effects for some nice bloom
    • Overdraw/fill-rate optimizations using custom meshes and techniques
    • Includes the Cartoon FX Easy Editor to easily change colors, speed, and other properties in a few clicks
    You can check out the WebGL 2 demo on the dedicated page: https://www.jeanmoreno.com/cartoonfx/
    Or check out the various effects in video in the mp4 gallery: https://www.jeanmoreno.com/cartoonfxremaster_gallery/
    Or jump directly to the Asset Store page: http://u3d.as/3bX

Hope you will like it!
    Reminder: it's a free update to all owner of Cartoon FX Pack 1!

Note: Cartoon FX 2,3,4 might follow the same treatment if this Remaster is successful enough!

Here are some screenshots:

Thanks!

eaque likes this.
  2. filod

filod

i bought this and enjoy the quality, great job! are you goint to support HDRP?

3. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

No plans for HDRP unfortunately; it's a very different rendering pipeline than built-in and URP so it would require a lot of work to adapt.

Feel free to let me know if you manage to adapt the shaders for it though!

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Fresh URP project in Unity 2021.3.9 with only Cartoon FX R1.2.1 imported thowing error on some effects. I am also seeing artifacts on some effects.

Shader error in 'Cartoon FX/Remaster/Particle Procedural Glow': invalid subscript 'projPos' at Assets/Shaders/CFXR.cginc(140) (on d3d11)

Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: ShadowCaster, Fragment program with CFXR_URP PASS_SHADOW_CASTER SHADOWS_DEPTH _FADING_ON
    Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    Disabled keywords: SHADER_API_GLES30 SHADOWS_CUBE UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING _ALPHABLEND_ON _ALPHAMODULATE_ON _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON _ALPHATEST_ON _CFXR_DISSOLVE _CFXR_DITHERED_SHADOWS_CUSTOMTEXTURE _CFXR_DITHERED_SHADOWS_ON _CFXR_GLOW_POW_P2 _CFXR_GLOW_POW_P4 _CFXR_GLOW_POW_P8

Attached Files:

5. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Please update to version R1.2.2 which was meant to fix those issues, and let me know if it works then.

6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

ah, thanks. Guess I just missed it while importing Cartoon FX into project yesterday since package manager only had 1.2.1 available.

7. JohnSearle

JohnSearle

With :
    • Unity: 2021.3.18f1 (URP)
    • FMO Cartoon FX Remaster 1 / 2, version R 1.2
    • Building to WebGL
    I'm running into the following:

and

Edit: I just noticed that the package manager says 1.2.3 for both FX and FX 2 (which I've imported), but the readme lists it as just 1.2. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. I tried a full reimport anyway, but to the same result.

Edit 2: Sorry, I forgot to include that this is URP.

Edit 3: I reimported the shaders starting with Remaster 2 instead of 1 (I had previously done it the other way around), and it seemed to work. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  8. davidlannan

davidlannan

Hi, I have recently bought your cartoon effects package 3 and the ShapeFX.
    On mobile Im finding the legacy versions seem to be more consistent across android devices, and I have had many build issues trying to get them to show up using the Remaster set. I read your tips on this, and the depth textures are set etc. But it seems every now and then a build wont display them on the OnePlus 9 I have, but show up on other androids. Any tips on this would be great.

I have started to use the legacy ones more and getting better results, but I have another question. Im trying to use one of the "Boom" text effects in the UI. Is this possible? I have tweaked the settings so it shows, but it seems it doesnt sort order no matter what I do (Im assuming this is a shader depth write issue or something like that). Should I be able to layer UI elements with the particle effects?

Thanks again for a great set of packages.

9. davidlannan

davidlannan

To answer my own question I managed to do it using the following method and it seems to be very stable.
    1. Make a UICamera:
    - New Camera with RenderType as Overlay
    - Orthographic projection
    - UI set for the Culling mask
    - Clear Depth ticked
    2. Make sure the Canvas for your UI is set to use:
    - Render Mode - Screen Space Camera
    - Render Camera - set to above new UI Camera
    - I made the plane distance 0.5 but this will be dependent on how you handle your UI layers.
    3. Create a Game Object to hold the Child Particle effects you want in the UI
    - Set the Layer for the Game Object to UI
    - Add child particle objects as needed ensuring they have their layer set to UI
    4. Remove the UI from the MainCamera Culling Mask (you dont want Main Camera rendering UI anymore)
    - Add the UI Camera to the Main Camera Stack. This will enable the UI to be rendered as an Overaly onto the MainCamera.

And thats it.. it works Great. Thanks for an awesome package.
    upload_2023-3-18_15-25-42.png

Jean-Moreno likes this.
  10. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Unfortunately I won't be able to help much on that matter... try to find what's different in the specs of that device that could be related to shaders?
    Also I think there's now a setting in Unity to allow for strict shader variant matching, make sure this is disabled and try again (if it was already disabled then too bad, that's not the issue!).

11. davidlannan

davidlannan

Thanks for the info. I think there are some oddities with URP and some particle + shaders + lighting setups.
    Going back to legacy solved it all for me (while still using URP). Its been mainly issues with mid and lower spec androids, so I suspect it could even be a vulkan driver thing - saw this a few times on other projects.

Thanks for the great particle systems though. Its really made my little game come to life. Appreciate the help.

12. Darioszka

Darioszka

Hi
    From few days we have problem with shader on URP.
    Particles show in game in editor. But not in build. There is just shadow. When we changed shader to another not from cartoonFX pack, particles are showing in build.
    There are bugs on console after build.
    Can you help?

Attached Files:

13. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Can you select the last message in those errors, and copy/paste the detail from the console output please?
    Are you using Adressables or Asset Bundles by any chance?

14. levelc

levelc

Hi, I purchased the Cartoon FX Remaster Bundle, which is currently at version 1.3.0, and it is running in URP 2D.

There is a noticeable issue that it cannot be rendered by Light 2D, which results in certain effects not achieving the desired state. Is there a way to enable rendering by Light 2D?

15. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Unfortunately "Light 2D" are unsupported at the moment; they use a very different approach than 3D lights, so it's not trivial to adapt lit effects to them.
    Are there any specific effects you wanted to use that don't render correctly in 2D?

16. levelc

levelc

Thank you for your response.

All effects work well in 2D, however, certain effects that rely on lighting (such as CFXR2 Smoke Cloud) will not display optimally in 2D. To correctly display these, lighting mode must be turned off in the material settings.

Hope to see Light 2D support one day!

17. joycatdev

joycatdev

Hey Jean-Moreno,

Hope you're doing well! Firstly, big thanks for the free "Cartoon FX Remaster" – it's been a game-changer for my recent project.

Quick heads up: I've been testing the text prefabs, and everything works like a charm on WebGL PC. But when it comes to mobile devices, there's a little glitch. After destroying one circle cube, the text shows up on PC but not on mobile.

Any chance you've run into this before? Would love your insights or any tips you might have to fix this. Here's the game link for you to check it out on both PC and mobile: DirectGameLink

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Attached Files:

18. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I haven't had reports of anything similar from other users, so I'm guessing it might have something to do with your code... in any case, I won't be able to help you unless you provide more specific details (I don't know what "circle cube" is, I don't know how you spawn the text prefab, etc.)