Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CaronteFX General Forum

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CommsNL, Feb 24, 2016.

1. C_p_H

C_p_H

Hello @CaronteDev,

I'm researching water plugins for Unity currently, and came across your previous response regarding water simulation in CaronteFX.
    Are you still considering adding water simulation baked liquid body physics?
    Actions: Triggers, Wave Complexity, Flow Mapping, Buoyancy, GPU skinning, Seamlessly Loopable Animations and Synchronized Particles or Sound Emissions when contact occurs.

I'm asking cause if there's any chance this may happen I'd rather wait a while longer to see what CaronteFX offers before purchasing any additional assets for simulating interactive water bodies.

2. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Thanks for your interest, we have made some early test of this, but I think it won't be available in CaronteFX for the next months, it requires further development to be production ready and we are now involved in other projects.

3. C_p_H

C_p_H

O.K., Thank you.

4. AKQJ10

AKQJ10

Hi,

The Adam films are just amazing. Good job, guys!

I have a question about the export to FBX operation. In the sample scene of barrel, CRAnimation Inspector has several buttons, one of which allows me to export the barrel falling down action to a FBX file and the anim clip inside the FBX works fine.

But if I manually make a unity animation clip. Then create an animated body with the clip and barrel assigned. It simulates just fine, with the barrel moving around just as defined in the clip. Now hit bake and it generated a game object named barrel_definition_baked. And start playing the scene, the barrel moves just fine. Now do the Export to FBX again. Select the FBX file just generated, on the “Rig” tab, it’s generic avatar, and the barrel looks OK. But on “Animations” tab, it shows a clip with the right length, but don’t play any animation.

Can you verify that animated body also works with Export to FBX function? Thanks in advance.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is Caronte 2.2.3 compatible with Unity 2017.2.1? I tried simulating something now and I'm still getting errors ("InvalidOperationException: Handle is not initialized." and then caronte is complaining about lack of bodies)

Update: Turns out it was because I was using the newer .net scripting backend and apparently it doesn't play nice with caronte. Maybe something that should be fixed in the future.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  6. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Thank you for letting us now, we'll do some testing with the newer .NET scripting backend and will report back.

7. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Animated bodies, non-skinned ropes and non-skinned clothes cannot be exported to FBX. We only support rigids, irresponsives, skinned cloths and skinned ropes for the moment. Also any GameObject hierarchy in your scenes can be exported to FBX (without animation) through Assets -> CaronteFX - Export selection to FBX

8. babisdrums_unity

babisdrums_unity

Hi everyone,
    Is it possible to export a cloth referenced to an animated body as an fbx file with caronte fx?
    For example i'm working on a character which is animated and i want the cloth that i'm creating with caronte as an fbx file. The character has many different animations in it which i can blend with unity transitions. Can i have the same result with the cloth?

9. Ascensi

Ascensi

@CaronteDev I emailed you on the weekend but did not get a response. I'm wondering if the option to add newly created faces inside the same submesh as the outside faces made it into CaronteFX 1.2.1g for crack free displacement/tessellation I'm using Unity Pro 5.6.4p3. I will be upgrading CaronteFX in the new year as long as Unity 5.6x is supported.

Also do you have any script(s) that can detach/unbind specific objects inside a physics animation by contact, explosion, detector and or time allowing the rest of the objects in the animation to complete but only selected ones with an unbind script attached carry on using Unity physics?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  10. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

With CaronteFX 2 you can bake extra animations into existing baked objects. Extra animations are added to the CRAnimation animation list as new animations tracks (you will have to use the "Bake into existing" mode of the bake simulation menu in order to achieve this):

When you export to FBX from CaronteFX 2, each animation track will be exported as a different FBX animation clip, so later they can be mixed, blended, etc. in Unity or other softwares.

The limitation of this is that cloths and ropes that you want to be able to export later to FBX have to be marked as skinned (so they are animated by bones instead of by vertices), when you are about to bake them from the CaronteFX bake menu, otherway export to FBX won't work for them:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  11. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Yes, CaronteFX 1.2.1g can generate new faces in the submesh 0, in order to achieve it you have to uncheck the option "interior faces in new submesh" that appears in the fracture nodes.

In order to unbind a GameObject from a CaronteFX animation you just have to unparent it (remember to activate the runtime null check option in the CRAnimation player, so it can handle the unbinding of some of it's animated objects). If you want Unity physics to carry on them, you will have to setup triggers/colliders/rigids and activate them when your desired conditions are met. We don't provide any script to do this automatically, because the number of trigger/colliders/rigidis etc you have to setup will depend on each case and effect you want to achieve.

Ascensi likes this.
  12. Ascensi

Ascensi

@CaronteDev Thanks for the above reply. Using your fragment system, can colliders/triggers work on the fragments if the objects were grouped as a skinned mesh to reduce draw calls? Thank you & happy new year!

13. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Merry Christmas! Yes, they can work as long you attach the collider/trigger to the corresponding bone.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  14. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Hi, Im currenlty using CaronteFX for my project and I would really like to see some sort of option on the Fracture part to fracture objects hollow. It would be preferable of course if it was actually hollow but maybe just an option to not add the caps for the chunks, I guess if a two sided material was used for the object you would get a illusion that the objects is hollow.

15. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Edit:
    Thank you for the feedback. We could add an option to the fracture node so it does not generate internal faces. That combined with a two sided material will gave the illusion of a hollow object, or we could generate the opposite faces so you can assign them a different material. We'll probably add such an option in the next patch.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

Hi everyone! @guidoponzini has prepared this amazing tutorial where you will learn how to create and simulate your own theatrical curtain! Check it out :)

Flurgle likes this.
  17. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Sounds great! Any idea when an update can be expected?

18. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

I can give an exact date right now, there are still some things we have to improve, but it won't take too long.

Filhanteraren likes this.
  19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Any updates on this? It's not exactly a deal breaker, but it's kind of annoying having to switch scripting backends (and restart Unity) every time I want to simulate something with Caronte.

20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also, I'm getting a pretty consistent crash on Mac OS (haven't tried Windows yet), when simulating a cloth.

It's starts simulating fine, but at some point Unity crashes. I haven't had any issues with simulating rigidbodies. I'm using Unity 2017.4.

Editor log says:

Unity(82060,0x70000d29e000) malloc: *** error for object 0x140c2bdf8: pointer being freed was not allocated
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    140736100377472:error:1408C095:SSL routines:ssl3_get_finished:digest check failed:s3_both.c:273:
    pb=0x10faa6600: BIO_do_connect failed

21. somosky

somosky

Does Caronte FX work with Unity 2018.1?

NeatWolf likes this.
  22. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

CaronteFX has a new version which supports Unity 2018. Discover the new features!

- Improved compatibility with Unity 2018.
    - Added support for .NET 4.x equivalent scripting runtime version.
    - Fixed a crash that happened when exiting Unity 2017/2018 after using the CaronteFX main editor.
    - Fixed a crash that could happen when simulating cloth bodies in macOS.

C_p_H and AcidArrow like this.
  23. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

If one has Realflow, does he need CaronteFX?

If I make a liquid simulation with Realflow, export it as an alembic file and import it into Unity, can I change/deform/displace the animation somehow? The purpose here is to create variations of the same animation, preferably influenced by physics.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  24. CaronteDev

CaronteDev

I think it would be easier to create different variations of the animation in Realflow and export them to alembic. Then in Unity chose what variation you want to play based on your specific criteria.

25. snw

snw

Hi,

I'm currently researching ways to simulate the tying of various knots as seen in this video:

Would caronteFX be capable of handling such scenarios?

Cheers

26. Flurgle

Flurgle

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ouch,
    Ouch, bad news. I hope they could at least support the player for a while.

28. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hi all
    Anyone here has caronte installed and active on his machine?
    I have installed caronte fx on unity pro and its gave error carontefx.isfreeverdion():
    Any one can help?

29. C_p_H

C_p_H

Yes sir, it’s a very nice secret weapon to have.

Pourya-MDP likes this.
  30. C_p_H

C_p_H

According to CaronteFX website they're still offering support until the end of Dec 2018, best to hook up with them ASAP before it's too late.

31. Flurgle

Flurgle

32. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hello every one just wanted to say that my problem resolved and the time of my machine was the problem :)
    Now i just started to using it and want to deform a car
    I wanna know can caronte handle such a scenario which a car will crash to a wall and deform the shape of the front of the car with realistic output?
    If so can anyone point me to the start of this scenario or maybe a selfmade tutorial about it?
    I looked over net and there was nothing
    Any help will appreciate

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Welp, it doesn't work any more for 2018.3.

All my already baked caronte animations don't play. It has something to do with changes to the prefab system, thanks Caronte and Unity.

I was hoping at least I would be able to play back my already baked animations in new Unity versions for a while longer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  34. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

For anyone else that might be struggling with this, CaronteFX still works more or less, BUT.

Caronte creates empty prefabs to store the mesh data for its animation.

Unity (in 2018.3) no longer supports "Completely empty prefabs", which actually means that it really wants to have a gameobject as root, while Caronte just made an empty prefab and added the mesh data it wanted.

So the solution is (use at your own risk), get your mesh prefabs and open them in 2018.2, create an empty gameobject, drag it on the prefab (the icon will change from white to blue), then copy that prefab to 2018.3 and it *should* work.

We deduced the above solution when Unity gave us the following warning:

I may have imagined the second paragraph.

atomicjoe likes this.
  35. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

I made an explosion with a metallic fence that has been deformed where the ground was going down.
    One solution would be to have the deforming parts connected to the chassis, when it crash you substitute the original one with the soft bodies. In the soft bodies you should go for some settings that keep the deformation and have almost zero "bounciness" jelly effects, simulating the deforming metal (chassis should have a less deformation than the body parts). Then you need to set all the connections between the soft bodies and the other parts

36. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Oh, there goes another great Unity asset that will not work anymore and lets down its users without warning!
    Don't you love it?
    Don't you love progress?

massslokoo32, AcidArrow and Flurgle like this.
  37. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It would be great if they could at least maintain the player, so our already baked caronte animations can still exist in our game.

We will attempt to do so ourselves, hopefully it won't be too hard.

Flurgle likes this.
  38. C_p_H

C_p_H

Just FYI: NextLimit’s RealFlow v10 has a CaronteFX plugin built in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  39. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I have been reading all the features of all versions of RealFlow and there is no mention of an Unity export/import plugin.
    The cool thing about CaronteFX was it's Unity integration and playback.
    How do you playback a RealFlow simulation in Unity though?
    I'm asking because I'm really interested. It would be awesome to have large 3D fluid simulations playback in Unity!

40. C_p_H

C_p_H

Export from RealFlow into Unity via Alembic format.

41. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I have never used alembic, but if I recall correctly, it's a point cache file format specifically made for exporting complex animations without bones or other complex systems.
    Does this really work in Unity?
    There is a github plugin for alembic as it seems, but how much can you trust it to be maintained and up to date?

Flurgle likes this.
  42. C_p_H

C_p_H

:cool: CaronteFX still works for me in Unity2018.3.6f1 however I was pleasantly surprised to discover Alembic as a standard install available via Unity's Packages plugins menu, guess its safe to say it'll be supported in the future updates of Unity3d. That'll yield plenty of time to prepare for a RealFlow-Caronte workflow in the future. Interactivity in game with RealFlow-Alembic workflow I assume could be a beast of a challenge compared to Unity-CaronteFX's built-in integrations but very plausible.

Flurgle and atomicjoe like this.
  43. unity_4TVgWLr2Fb6B7A

unity_4TVgWLr2Fb6B7A

hi ,excuse me where is CaronteFX plugin for unity?

44. C_p_H

C_p_H

It was deprecated in the Unity Asset Store by its developer awhile ago but still lives on as a component of RealFlow.
    CaronteFX  ParticlesEffects  Unity Asset Store.png