Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Carnival

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by yellowlabrador, Jul 25, 2006.

1. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Hello All,

Well wasn't gonna post this one seeing everybody's work is awesome!

But, what the heck. I actually built a little game with Unity. My very first one that I think is very stable.(No Crashes..I hope) :)

Still needs a lot of work, so forgive the artwork.

The Play Again button I had to remove because I'm getting this Error after I Destroy the Player.

The script is attached to a somewhat controller that has a DontDestroyOnLoad(this) but is on a function Update().

Attaching the error image and the game.

Any comments suggestion are very welcome.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Attached Files:

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think this is a great start to a carnival themed title with a bunch of mini-games... ring toss, dunk the clown, land the marble on the moving lily pads, blow up the balloon by spraying water in the clown's mouth, horse race with water spraying to move horses faster (multi-player!), knock over the pyramid of milk bottles, etc...

A few things I'd add/change to this scene:

Make the rows of animals move... in opposite directions and at different speeds. Base it on number of hits with a limited ammo supply instead of accuracy scoring.

Place the setting at a carnival. Model out a rickety old carnival wagon display with the slimy vendor standing off to the side making fun of you when you miss. Collect goofy prizes when you score high enough.

I'd truly get a kick out of a fleshed out game like this.

Keep it up man,
    Ethan

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Just double click on the error in the console. It brings you to the line in your script where it goes wrong. Then you have to either check for the player not existing or make sure the reference to the player is updated to a new one.

4. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

eh.. whats a .dmg file? and how do you open it?
    (if its a mac file, can you then please also make either a windows or a web version?)

5. freyr

freyr

dmg stands for "Disk iMaGe"... and you must open it on a mac. (Where you just double-click on it in the finder, and it will mount it as a virtual disk)

6. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

@Ethan,

I like the carnival wagon, the 2nd level has the animal appearing and disappearing and will add a 3rd level were the animals will be moving sideways.

@Joe
    The player I destroyed using Destroy(player) on the score script.
    The player was a variable var player:GameObject. and reference it in the inspector of the script. If I continue to run the game loading the second level, I get that error but the game object appears and you can play the 2nd level, but on the build game, I get a spinning beach ball and game will crash but can be reopen.

@shalow,
    windows version, sure but it will be after I make some changes to the game.
    web version, don't have a web site yet.

Thanks,
    Ray

7. freyr

freyr

The new player object in the second level is another object. The reference assigned in the inspector is pointing to the location of the destroyed object. Because you have told the object holding the refernece not to be destroyed when loading a new level, you must make sure that the reference is updated after the new level is loaded. (Using GameObject.Find or FindObjectsWithTag)