Search Unity

[CardboardVR] How to control scene content and settings from web?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by papiot, Jul 1, 2015.

1. papiot

papiot

Hi there,

I need to be pointed in the right direction. I have seen a demo which was configured as follows:

1. Android phone + Android app installed on the phone which was using the cardboard SDK
    2. Web application, which detects connectivity to the phone (the phone and computer have to be connected to the same LAN for this to work) - similar to how WhatsApp for web works.
    3. Once connected, on the web app you can control which 3D content to show on the phone. The Web interface is a combination of standard (looks like Node.js) web technologies and a Unity plugin. You can see on the screen what the user sees on the device via a small screen with low quality resolution. You can also control the scene directly - such as time of the day, number of people etc.

My question is: does anyone know how to put something like this together? How to start/stop the content shown on a mobile via WEB via unity? I don't need full solution, but at least to be pointed in the right direction/technologies.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else too :)

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You need a way to send a message from the webapp/Unity plugin to your android app. You could use a 3rd party network system like Photon PUN. (https://www.exitgames.com/en/PUN), let both your Android app and the webplayer/plugin connect to the Photon relay server.

After that you can send RPC calls to the Android app directly from your Webplayer.

With this you do not need to be on the same network, only have internet access on both.