Search Unity

CardBoard, VR by Google for Android, only $45

Discussion in 'Android' started by davbar9, Jun 26, 2014.

1. davbar9

davbar9

Ok thanks!

2. mmilne

mmilne

Interesting stuff! I don't understand how this can be stereoscopic though. You only have one camera on the phone. You can't get a stereoscopic image out of that. But you can make the overlayed 3D graphics stereoscopic. So you would just have a 3D object in front of a flat 2D background. Is that how its working or have I totally got that wrong?

3. 128bit

128bit

Yeah youre right. The camera view isnt in 3D, since the phone only have one camera. A way on changing that would be to convert the 2D stream into 3D (like modern 3D tvs) but thats would take to much power il think. But the objects that gets displayed/tracked are in stereoscopic 3D.

4. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

i try to use Input.compass.rawVector. In my iphone, it seems the value only updates when i spin/rotate my phone

5. 128bit

128bit

6. nico_abbink

nico_abbink

I'm trying to use you'r code, but i'm getting this errormessage:

ArgumentException: get_rawVector can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    GameLogic..ctor () (at Assets/Resources/JS/GameLogic.js:9)

7. nico_abbink

nico_abbink

I'm working on a Google Cardboard project, right now i have a demo for Android where u can look around in a special scene i build in UNITY 3D, everything is working fine & looking good, but what I really want is:

I want to walk forward when I press the Google Cardboard magnet button.

I found a few script's on the web, but I do not know exactly how to make these scripts work in my UNITY project.

Can anybody help me further whit this?

Greetinz Nico

8. Arno1975

Arno1975

@nico. Did you get it to work? using the magnet button on the cardboard.

hoor graag van je

9. saeed_m

saeed_m

hi @128bit,
    I've tried to duplicate Camera (child of ARCamera GameObject) to have tow viewPort for google cardboard simulation

and set the viewport rect X, W on duplicated camera to 0.5, also 0.5 for rect W on origin camera, but scale of camera's images not the same,

i've tried to fix it by using Camera.CopyFrom() Script and cam.projectionMatrix = ARCam.projectionMatrix, and many other solutions but it do not work good (as i attached my result);

how do you achive this?
    can you upload your sample project here please?
    tanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. 128bit

128bit

The AR chess project was actually just an PoC, so i did no backup. Lost it by an hardwarecrash. But i can set up an simple tracking project with vuforia and 2 cameras, when i got some time. Probably Sunday.

saeed_m likes this.
  11. alvarometon

alvarometon

Please, I build the Apk exacly how they come in the Google SDK, the demo scene, but when I play in the smartphone, only in VR Mode, the image flip up-down... Like in the imagem... I tried almost everything, but the image still fliped...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  12. SelfishGenome

SelfishGenome

Hellooo, anyone found a solid solution to get the magnet sensor to behave. I've tried so many things, I have it working flawlessly with some alterations of the standard google cardboard SDK which obviously only works on Android devices. Using the Durovis Dive is a nightmare, and I have tried your way @scottharber and it is making me sad inside as I had the most hope in it and the device does not even recognise the input. I'd be really interested to see what people come up with.

13. jessica1986

jessica1986

Hello,

I need some guidance from you regarding a VR hardware, i am about to purchase [based on google cardboard project].

Here is the link of the hardware - http://www.flipkart.com/domo-nhance-vr2-universal-virtual-reality-3d-video-headset-smart-phones-inspired-google-cardboard-glasses/p/itme6cwwhrtcumfz?pid=VGLE6CWWJBZXREMX&ref=L:-4535664435375289084&srno=p_4&query=vr+cardboard&otracker=from-search

DOMO nHance VR2 Universal Virtual Reality 3D and Video Headset for Smart Phones - Inspired By Google Cardboard Video Glasses - DOMO : Flipkart.com
    www.flipkart.com
    Buy DOMO nHance VR2 Universal Virtual Reality 3D and Video Headset for Smart Phones - Inspired By Google Cardboard Video Glasses only for Rs. 1990 from Flipkart.com. Only Genuine Products. 30 Day Replacement Guarantee. Free Shipping. Cash On Delivery!

I wish to make a game using this hardware, but my query is, how will the user play the game as the mobile is placed inside this , Can you guide me, is there some external remote ? or we use gestures ? How does a game is played ? and except the above device, there is another one available, which is much cheaper - see here -

http://www.flipkart.com/auravr-google-cardboard-inspired-plastic-vr-headset-video-glasses/p/itmeaf4nmfuk9gvc?pid=VGLEAF4N4EY7Z6NG&ref=L:-4535664435375289084&srno=p_1&query=vr+cardboard&otracker=from-search

Which one shall i buy ????

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  14. mmilne

mmilne

Get one that has a button on it that touches the screen. That way you can use the button to walk, shoot or perform any kind of action. Other ways to trigger actions are by looking at a certain target on the screen, sometimes with a visible timer (progress circle or changing colour) so you need to look at it for 1 second to activate it. You can also use bluetooth and and use another mobile device as a controller.