Search Unity

Cardboard SDK for Unity Support Dropped?

Discussion in 'VR' started by ROBYER1, Nov 12, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Saw the announcements for Google Cardboard being made open-source, however only the IOS and Android NDK versions have been made open source. The Unity Cardboard SDK has been archived, is this the end for Cardboard support/updates in Unity?

https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Since Oculus Go has been out for a couple years now, it's very hard for me to summon concern for Cardboard. The Go experience is so much superior to sticking your phone in a Cardboard headset. I can sorta see a little value in somebody getting a Cardboard headset if they've never experienced VR at all and just want to find out, on the cheap, a little hint of what it's like. But developing new software for it doesn't seem worth it to me.

None of which answers your question, of course. But I thought I'd share my perspective anyway. :p

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. mgear

mgear

i think cardboard is still essential.. entry level vr device (especially by price and ease of use).

*and i have worked on a cardboard project that is still running, its for schools and universities,
    they couldn't buy proper headsets for all.. so everyone can use their own phone + provided cardboard box.

A_Savvidis and JoeStrout like this.
  4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I have ruled out Cardboard for my current project - a Healthcare related endeavour, Oculus Go is the lowest level device we are targeting but I was still wondering what is going to happen to Cardboard with Unity - saying that, developing for Cardboard has been a pain in some past projects, these newer headsets eliminate some of the hardware issues Cardboard had.

JoeStrout likes this.