Search Unity

Car Wheel Friction

Discussion in 'Physics' started by KouroshX98, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Should i make a video tutorial about car fricrion?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KouroshX98

KouroshX98

Hello every one,

I was thinking about making a video tutorial to explain car friction in unity (forward and sideway friction), but before doing it so, i want to know if you have any questions about car physics so that i can include it in my video.
    Also please vote in the poll And if it get's enough upvotes i will make the video tutorial.(just want to know if anybody needs this tutorial :) )

2. radialxawn

radialxawn

You mean UnityEngine.WheelCollider friction ?

3. KouroshX98

KouroshX98

Yes , Exactly!

4. radialxawn

radialxawn

I think that WheelCollider is bad. I tried to use it but failed so now i am using a custom one.

5. KouroshX98

KouroshX98

Was your problem that you didnt know what wheel friction curve,extremum slip,extremum value and ...are?
    Cause i think those are the most vague things in WheelCollider, but i finally figured out the physics relationships in them.

6. radialxawn

radialxawn

Well, almost that, but additional problem are the wheel can get stuck sometime and the angular velocity can easily go crazy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  7. KouroshX98

KouroshX98

Well i will try to cover your problem in my video. actually this problem accurs because WheelCollider uses a single raycast so it cannot detect if an object is colliding with wheels from sides. so the wheel floats at the edge of the object and as soon as you apply a torque angular velocity goes up.

8. radialxawn

radialxawn

Ye, i knew it, now i am using a custom wheel collider base on sphere collider, it work really fine and i am trying to make it more stable.

9. devilhunterxl

devilhunterxl

Any progress with the video?

10. KouroshX98

KouroshX98

Hi there, i came back after a long time LOL. unfortunately at that point i started creating the video but there was two problems. first was that i handled to reach something stable for the car but it was not accurate, and second was when i started recording the video ... boom my PC just could not handle it cause i had a very old PC with low specs. now i have a new PC and in the last few months i worked and researched a lot about car physics and this time i was more successful =). So definitely i will make a tutorial in the upcoming months and i'll upload it to my youtube channel. you can search my channel in youtube. its name is selen games.

11. devilhunterxl

devilhunterxl

Cool then! Will be waiting for your discoveries:)

KouroshX98 likes this.
  12. c0mrade38

c0mrade38

13. devilhunterxl

devilhunterxl