Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Paint Shaders Asset - 2.0 LIVE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by beffio, Aug 13, 2014.

1. beffio

beffio

Howdy !
    Car Assets is a package that contains photo realistic shaders, a lot of realistic effects and useful scripts for cars. We give you a lot of example scenes made from scratch to show you full potential of that shaders. We provide you with shaders for mobile and high end PC’s Car visualisations.

Our Main Goals
    Create as close as it is possible Car Paint Material Shader that gives similar effects to poplar V-Ray rendering engine that uses Material Car Paint Shader. Our shader gives you really photo realistic car paint materials combined with realistic and efficient light techniques. It works realtime - it is very well optimised and as you can see in screens below give stunning results.

I would like to announce that Update 2.0 is Live.

Changes:

Fix & Improvments:

• Unity5 Support
    • Fixed Flickering Bug while Camera Rotating
    • Fixed Bug with Fog & Depth Of Field Advanced Shader
    • Added Decal with Alpha Channel Support
    • Optimised whole Shader now it takes 1 draw call
    • Fixed Issue with Shadows nowthey works correctly Simple Shader
    • Addeed Detail Textures (Flakes support)
    • Added Decal with Alpha Channel Support
    • Added Normal Map Slot Support
    • Fixed Issue with Shadows nowthey works correctly - Updated Documentation
    Unity 5 Physical Based Rendering Assets:
    • 10 new Scenes showing full potential of PBR & Unity5 Rendering
    • HDR 32-bit studio cubemap texture - Normal Map Texture for Ground Distortion
    • 50+ PBR Materials
    • Two Custom PBR Car Shaders that base on Standard Build in Shader
    • 3 new Car Animations - Script for Controling Camera Realtime Reflection Probe
    • Custom Made Lookup Texture for Vintage look
    • Lighting, Camera Deffered HDR Rendering & DX11 Image Effects using Unity5 new features settings - Learn How To Achive High End Visusals in Unity5 using latest features.

Update 2.0 Video
    Note that video & all screens below are made without any PostProduction in 3rd party software this Images are raw Captures from Unity5.

Trailer

Tutorial & Showcase

Mobile Realtime Demo

Version Changes:
    a) Update 1.1 and 1.2

- Added new materials
    - Fixed bugs and some script issues
    - Added video movie.
    b) Update 1.3
    - New interior with detailed dashboard, new interior materials and design
    - Fixed error with building player
    - New interior screenshoots and car paint screens
    - new car paint material preview scene
    - TUTORIAL VIDEO and showcase
    c) Update 1.4
    - Added Texture slots for all shaders with alpha channel. Now you can Add custom tilable texture into your Car or create dirt layer with alpha mask.
    - Added two custom textures carbon fieber and dots pattern all tilable
    - Created two custom Materials as an example of carbon paint material and dot paint material
    d) Update 1.5
    - Added Shaders Support for Unity 5
    e) Update 2.0 on the top

Links

Documentation - a lot of useful information and technical tips
    Asset Store Link - link to Store with all asset to Unity3D

Shaders (More details in documentation)
    • Advanced Car Shader (works with on mobile device really fast)
    • Simplified Car Shader (works with on mobile device really fast)
    • PBR Shaders based on Standard Build-In Shader for HDR Lighting
    Scripts
    • Autofocus Scatter Depth of Field script (focus using build in image effect dog scatter in centre of your screen)
    • Smooth Camera Script (smooth camera rotate script you can see in the video)
    • Explode GameObject Part Script (very useful tool for quick objects animations - define you initial and final position, rotation or scale and set hotkey click play and watch it in action)
    Effects
    • Light Flares (pre made prefabs - really nice looking effects)
    • Camera Light Shaft (cheap and efficient screen shaft you can define color and size)
    Animations
    • Intro Animation prefab (drag a prefab in to your project and set easy to use nice intro for you game or project)
    • uSequencer cinematic prefab animations you can see some of them in video (requires uSequencer)
    Model
    • High quality model with detailed interior made from scratch - 400k triangles
    Questions
    1. What do you think ?
    2. Do you have some future ideas ?
    3. Share your opinion with us !
    About beffio company
    Screens:

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    user2678 likes this.
  2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Looks very nice indeed but can I ask what all the .asset files are in the package, there are a ton of them all with numbers for the filename and extension of .asset.

3. Ecocide

Ecocide

Could you please post screenshots of the interior? Aside from that it looks awesome!

4. beffio

beffio

Howdy !

This .asset file are small files that generate uSequencer. That particular ".asset" files are part of prefabs that I give you with this package. Prefabs in uSequencer are cinematic animations that I made - you can see them in video. If you are interesting how that animation looks you will need to buy uSequencer and use my prefab files. Size of that files are very small bcs this is just some float data.

Yes of course atm interior in package look a little bit more flat but I made an update (you will need just to tweak materials from my shader package) and It will look like this after update. The main part of this asset was exterior and that shader that we wrote its really amazing how beautiful metallic material paint with flake layer you can achieve with it.

Updated Interior version 1.3 below.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. srmojuze

srmojuze

Wow. Unbelievable.

6. beffio

beffio

Hi there thank you. Right now we are working on small tutorial and in-depth showcase right from Unity. We want to show everyone what can you achive with that asset.

7. hopeful

hopeful

This is an amazing model ... you've done a great job! I saw this right after it arrived in the store and I immediately put it on my shopping list.

However, with the outside looking so good, I'd have to agree that the inside needs some luxury attention. I realize that sort of thing could get a little crazy, but maybe some small things (like optional contrasting door panels, chrome bits, lighting on controls, etc.) would help without being too work intensive.

8. Ecocide

Ecocide

I can only support that :) Instant purchase if the interiour gets tweaked a little.

9. beffio

beffio

Hi guys. Right now We are working on tutorial to show you whats going on with this asset.

If you want better interior - you will get it. In update 1.3 We are going to give you model with interior improved. I think thats going to happened in few days.

PS We made two extra videos for Unite 2014 with more smooth overview of car. You can see them below.

hopeful likes this.
  10. beffio

beffio

Hi there good news !

»» Update 1.3 is live
    • New interior with detailed dashboard, new interior materilas and design
      • Customers would like to see better interior and as we said here it is !
    • Added new prefabs with light flares
    • Fixed error with building player
    • New screenshoots and car paint screens
    • New car paint material preview scene
    • Tutorial & Showcase video
    New Video Tutorial & Showcase

New Detailed Interior and Car Paint Material Screens

Play_Edu and hopeful like this.
  11. hopeful

hopeful

That exceeded my expectations! Super job! Now the car has an interior to match.

I'll definitely pick this car up!

12. beffio

beffio

Thanks hopeful !

13. Meceka

Meceka

Everything looks wonderful, but there isn't much information about performance on mobile devices. Also there isn't a demonstration of simple shader. Can you please test with a lower poly car, and a mobile device (android, ios or windows phone, slower phone is better) and record the performance with a camera or with fps display. We are targeting mobile platforms, and there will be lot's of more stuff in screen other then the vehicle.

How do you compare your simple car shader with "Car Paint Mobile Shader Pro" asset on performance and quality?

14. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

nice Update and explode scripts is awesome man.

15. beffio

beffio

Hi Meceka we are going to make for you some quick video on mobile device. Our Simple Car shader will be definitly faster and even will have better visuals on mobile comparing to other shaders. You will see all in the video. That going to happen in few days.

Thanks Play_Edu. Yea explode script is very useful and easy to use for simple and quick animations.

PS We release few days ago our new asset called Geometry FX Particles with bunch of useful effects. Maybe someone will be intrested.

Have a nice day !

16. Paulo-Matias

Paulo-Matias

Hi, congrats on the quality, it looks so good, i was impressed but i have a question, what does it mean wen you say that the advanced shader isnt affected by light, what i can understand is that it needs to pre-render light maps, it means that the shader will not be affected by the lights in the track or if is night and day light?

17. beffio

beffio

Hi there, thank you. Thats not exactly how it works.

We have prepared here very efficient and optimised technique which will be very fast even on mobile. That technique using a textures to fake a light, so you don't need a real physical lights to create highlights etc. What does it mean ? We have two slots in shader one of them is lookup texture which create a faked light from that texture (that texture has been pre rendered in 3D software vray) and cubemap texture for reflections. So if you want to simulate that car is night environment or daylight you have to tweak colors of material to fake a overall brightness, that is advanced car paint shader.

Simple car shader don't create a light from texture so its affected by light and still have nice reflections. So if you need to have something that needs to be affected by light that should be simple car paint shader from our pack.

Thanks

18. beffio

beffio

Hi there,

We listen customers so they would like to see realtime video on mobile and here it is !
    We made a Car Paint Shaders Asset - Realtime Demo recorded using iPhone on middle class Android device (yea that sounds weird :) ).
    As we said shaders works really fast on mobile devices even with that high poly car model. This demo on mobile device had all the time around 56-60 FPS so its really good achievment. Video below shows you some car exterior body elements and interior dashboard etc. Have Fun !

Mobile Realtime Demo ~60 FPS

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  19. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

20. dox

dox

Amazing. Love that details.

21. srmojuze

srmojuze

Still can't believe how cool this is. Saving my moneyz to purchase this. :)

dox likes this.
  22. Juggernaught

Juggernaught

Hi, Just purchased this and its awesome with simple or advanced shader only you get around 3 drawcalls which is just fantastic and exactly what I was looking for. However just 2 problems I am seeing at the moment and wondering if you will add support for them in update.

* Applying diffuse textures on car to add unique details such as vinyls or color stripes / dirt textures etc.

* Making way to add custom cubemaps that are animated to fake the feeling of movement in race games. Although I have tried moving the object in scene and reflections move with it too, just need to try it in my racing environment to see if reflections remain static or they move accordingly.

Overall I am highly recommending this product, its just has that wow factor punch to it. Must buy for anyone looking to make those nice racing games out there.

23. beffio

beffio

Hi Juggernaught,

Thank you. Nice suggestions. I think we will implement that two features in next release. Yes We have a really good shaders programmer. We know what means optimisation. We put a lot of time into shader design process to have 100% confidence that it will work really fast.

I have one request on you. Could you rate our product and write same review on asset store product page ? I will be very greatful.

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  24. Juggernaught

Juggernaught

Hi, that will be really awesome if you implement that. We have posted the feedback on asset store too. Looking forward to updates and how it will proceed for customers who have already bought this version.

Thank you.

25. rizawerx

rizawerx

Hi, I'm interested to buy this shader...but before I decide so, is it possible to change color while running? via script of course...
    And is it possible to know when you'll update with applied diffuse texture for decal?
    Thanks

26. EtherGames

EtherGames

Hi,

We wont be able to use realtime lights or light probes in our game. Would this asset still help us in getting good car quality like in the sample you have given.

We have our own cars, Can we apply the shaders used here in the cars we have developed?

Will we get the reflection of the cars even though our environment lacks real time lights?

Thanks

27. Juggernaught

Juggernaught

Ether IT, it does work without real time lights and probes flawlessly. Which brings it to a minor issue we are facing which is it dont support real time shadows with 1per pixel light (directional light).
    Hopefully we ll see support for it too in due time. However if you need shadows for cars, shadow projectors is the way forward for now as shown in my work below.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10339755_594677823988359_7505963232670079977_n.jpg?oh=ce6150d207f4d43c1825a0c6c2712e81&oe=54D72132&__gda__=1423028155_7b3ae18aba8fe264e123f7ee9d38ce3c

28. beffio

beffio

Hi there,
    Yes, it's possiblr to change color while running and via script.
    I think I will upload update in two weeks - right now I have updated our Low Poly Strategy Prototyper Asset with Character Animations.

Hi there,
    Our advanced shader using a textures to fake a light, so you don't need a real physical lights to create highlights etc. BUT It will not work with realtime lights that was the idea to fake lights for optimisation.

BUT We have second shader thats its called Car Paint Simplified Shader - so if you want to use physical light you should use Simplified Car Paint Shader. That simplified shader also works really good with light probes.

Also if you would like to fake your shadows you can use texture from our demo. We are using there baked shadow as a static texture. It looks realistic and it is fast

29. ikarusfr

ikarusfr

Hi Beffio,

This is an awesome asset, great shaders.

Are you planning to make this asset to run on Unity 5?

Unity 4.x: :)

Unity 5 :(

Thanks

30. beffio

beffio

Hi there,

Thanks that you like it. Regarding to your question about Unity 5 . We dont have license for Unity 5 right no so we cannot even test it there. We think after official realease of Unity 5 we will defenetliy test it and repair all issues.

Cheers,
    Tom

31. beffio

beffio

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  32. ferretnt

ferretnt

Can you confirm the shaders include full source? There is a bit of a trend amongst shader writers for including compiled shaders only in the assetstore, which means we can never use them (because we always modify them a little bit to integrate with some of our other effects.)

Thanks,
    Alex

33. beffio

beffio

Hi Alex,

Yes of course all shaders are fully editable. Full source code is there.

Cheers,
    Tom

emergki and hopeful like this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

This car + shader ought to sell well today. I believe this is the best car in the asset store.

One new feature I'd like to see is a modification for USA-style license plates. (As much as possible, I want to see car models outfitted for both styles.)

35. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

hi , this seems as a perfect asset. I have two questions,

Is it possible to use the reflection map from the Marmoset Skyshop asset, which creates reflection map from the environment. I am aware that we can't use IBL on Advanced Shader but at least reflection is enough for me.

My other question is, can we see a showcase of simple car shader? I believe these screenshots are from Advanced Shader. In case I want to use simple shader to be able to get IBL, I need to see it before buy it.

Thanks for responses in advance.

36. beffio

beffio

Hi there,

We will think about that in next update to make USA-style license plates.

Really I dont have idea I never used Marmoset Skyshop asset. Always you can buy our asset and if it will not working with that kind of combination you can chargeback (just write to unity3d customer service).

Regarding to your second question of course. I just made shoots from Simple Shader (I used two directional lights to make some nice higlights). As you can see results are still very nice.

Cheers,
    Tom

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  37. Meltdown

Meltdown

Do these shaders work well on devices that support only OpenGL ES 2.0?

38. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Thank you but I can't see these screenshots for some reason.

39. beffio

beffio

Hi there,

Are you talking about old devices like iPhone 3g/3gs etc ?

Right now all should works fine that was problem with links.

I have updated them. Sorry for that.

40. Leito

Leito

Hi,

Great package.

While playing with the assets, I noticed that objects with your shaders applied won't receive real-time shadows that are being cast by other objects. Is there a way to make it so objects with your shaders get affected by cast shadows?

hopeful likes this.
  41. Meceka

Meceka

Assets/CarAsset/Scripts/CameraFocus.cs(9,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `DepthOfFieldScatter' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

DepthOfFieldScatter is in javascript, you are referencing it from c# script, i think it's the problem.

My build target is windows phone, unity 4.5.*

42. Meltdown

Meltdown

iPhone 4, iPad Mini etc.

43. Meceka

Meceka

I didn't realise we couldn't add diffuse maps on the material before purchasing, most mobile dev's will need it. Without diffuse map this shader looks good only on ultra-high poly cars. Can you estimate when you will add this?

Can you compare shader performance of simplified, normal shader and unity shaders reflective/specular and reflective/diffuse? I also need same comparison for transparent shaders.

Does flake consume lot's of performance? If not is it possible that you can add another shader that's just simple shader with flakes (also with diffuse map). I couldn't see much difference between reflective/specular and this simplifed shader.

44. beffio

beffio

Hi Leito,

As we wrote that before our Advanced Shader is not affected by light. Light is created from texture and all higlights are achived using that techique. So if object is not affected by light it will not cast shadows. We want to create shader that is really fast - but we know that if we want to have an shader that only creates lights from texture we cannot have realtime lights affection. So we have to decide. But in next update I will try to add some optional version to that two shaders that is affected by light.

If you need shader that works with lights and shadows use our Simplfied Shader. It will work with all things you want.

I will test that and try to fix it. It could be becouse image effects written by unity are in javascript and we prefer c#.

But you know Image Effects will not work on mobile devices.

Meltdown, I think it should work becouse there is nothing fency in that shaders. We were using standard shader techiques that should be compatible. But I will not give you 100% because I only have iPhone 5 and iPad Air. But maybe you know in Untiy3D there is OpenGL ES 2.0 Emulation and after i turn it on everything looks pretty but as I know sometimes it dont show real results.

I think this week I will try to put realese with texture slot.

Regarding to you second question about compare. Our Simplified Shader use standard techiques so some methods could be the same. But we created all from scratch and We think our shader is much more faster and code have really good optimisation. Sometimes that speed could be not seen becouse you know in simple shaders there could be really small differences.

Flakes will not consume a lot of performence it's based on simple texture mask but we have a lot of work math caluculation there - to blend and change color of a flake with whole shader.

Yes I think about that to create a simple shader with flakes. Right now we have a lot of work but I think in next releases We will add that feature.

Cheers,
    Tom

45. yezzer

yezzer

I bought this in the sale. Overall, this is a very good asset, with the potential to be a must-buy!

Quick thoughts:
    - Skyshop compatibility is a *must*.
    - Unity 5 compatibility will be essential soon!
    - Some functionality to allow decals / logos etc. on the car.
    - Cast shadows should work, using the simplified shader doesn't have the flakes of paint (which, IMO, is the best bit!)

Has anyone tried this with Oculus Rift?

Currently it only seems as if this is suitable for high quality 'showcase' projects - and not general game production. You may disagree. :)

Looks great though - I made a quick demo with this, and clients loved it.

46. Leito

Leito

Thanks, the simplified shader will do.

47. dttngan91

dttngan91

Have anyone tested on iPad? I purchased it but cannot run on iPad with warning
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Reflective/VertexLit' - Pass 'BASE' shader state not supported

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Glow Downsample' - Pass '' shader state not supported

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof' - Pass '' shader state not supported

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof' - Setting to default shader.

48. beffio

beffio

I will test what we can do with skyshop.
    We are going to fix all issues in Unity5 soon.
    Textures logos will be soon.
    I will try to make something optional between that two shaders that works with shadows.

This errors not goes from our shaders/package.

Our shaders paths and names are:
    'Beffio/Car Paint Opaque'
    'Beffio/Car Paint Opaque Simplified'
    'Beffio/Car Paint Transparent '
    'Beffio/Car Paint Transparent Simplified'

You have errors in shaders that goes from your project and I dont have really idea what they do.
    'Reflective/VertexLit'
    'Hidden/Glow Downsample
    'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof'
    'Hidden/Dof/DX11Dof

Cheers,
    Tom

49. dttngan91

dttngan91

It's weird because I just open your scene and then build it iOS, I didn't change anything. I guess these shader come from Image Effects shader of Unity. Have you used it in CarScene?
    Thanks

50. dttngan91

dttngan91

I figured out the source of this issue. Thank you for your support!