Search Unity

Car Idea with networking

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by grobm, Mar 4, 2008.

1. grobm

grobm

Here is a snap shoot of the network car sim I am working on. I am not able to get the Master Server to link right yet but here is a peek.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

http://www.vrshell.com/1.html

Attached Files:

2. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Very nice! :)
    I'm not a fan of racing games, but yours is very good! :wink:
    You should turn down the camera's "near clip plane".

3. 64746c

64746c

Actually, if you're talking about the z-fighting, then it's quite the opposite—increase the near plane. This (apparently) helps with z-fighting artifacts.

In the introductory screen, there's a typo. "Peddle and wheel supported" should be "Pedal and wheel supported".

Other than that, looks great.

4. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

That's very nice, but I've got to ask, what are you using for drive control and wheels? The built-in wheelcolliders, or something else?

5. drJones

drJones

a good start for sure : )

nice job on the car (with interior!) - how many polys?

you may know this already but one suggestion - whenever you have a reflective material its a good idea try to keep your edges nice neat (all going in the same direction etc.) - it'll get rid of some of those distortions in the cubemap.

6. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

Awesome stuff!

Is it just me or do the graphics settings buttons not change anything? I've got a pretty terrible video card, so it may not look different anyhow...

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Neat. One thing you might want to do is turn on interpolation on the car's rigidbody to make the camera follow be completely smooth.

8. grobm

grobm

It uses default wheel colliders, they are dynamically generated on start. So the weak points of my car script is the starting angel ... as well as it is missing a nice hud. Anyone interested in helping out on that?

The code is based off Joachim's car script.So if you like it, check out the vehicle example. Then tweak the physics to match your car's scale and change the project's time scale for better performance (it is worth your time to experiment and learn how to use them). I have also added some additional sideways slip code beyond what he wrote.

As for the graphics setting, if you do not see a change in some settings your graphics card can not support the additional card settings or draw calls. I would be interested to know what kind of card you have off list.

I will turn on interpolation since that was one of the issues I was still working on. Thanks Joachim, if i have not wrote before you rock! I am mad I can not buy a Unity T-shirt anymore. :)

I will repost later with a complete race sample, as things progress.

Thanks for the comments!