Search Unity

Car Engine Sound Based On Motor Torque

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Deleted User, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

I'm creating a simple vehicle controller for a small game I'm working on, and I'm currently implementing the sound code for the engine when the car increases in speed. I have the following reference that I've studied and implemented with no problem ( see answer ) : -

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1067016/car-engine-sound-code-unity5car-engine-sound-code.html

However, I would like to have my car engine sound based on the actual Motor Torque, would appreciate any input on how I might amend my current code ( based on the help given above ) to achieve this ?

Thanks

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class vehicleSounds : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public float topSpeed = 100f;
    9.     private float currentSpeed = 0;
    10.     private float pitch = 0;
    12.     void Update () {
    13.         currentSpeed = transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity.magnitude * 3.6f;
    15.         pitch = currentSpeed / topSpeed;
    16.         GetComponent<AudioSource>().pitch = pitch;
    18.         //Debug.Log(currentSpeed); // Showcase current speed
    19.     }
    20. }
    So, this is what I'm currently doing, would appreciate the help ?

3. Ian094

Ian094

Create an Animation Curve where x would be the torque and y would be the pitch.

Use the Evaluate function to get the pitch at the given torque and pass that over to your AudioSource.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, wow, I think that might be a bit more advanced than what I was looking for, is there a simpler method ?

5. Ian094

Ian094

You could just use the current code you have, but replace current speed with the current motor torque and top speed with the maximum motor torque. I guess that would be a simpler way.

Also, engine sound is usually calculated from the engine RPM, not the torque. This post may help you out:

http://entitycrisis.blogspot.com/2010/12/unity3d-wheelcollider-and-motortorque.html

PrimalCoder, Deleted User and m0guz like this.