Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Capacity to extend Addressable

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by AlexandreDelan, Jun 1, 2020.

1. AlexandreDelan

AlexandreDelan

Hello @unity_bill @DavidUnity3d,

I've been working on Addressable System since several months on a big projet.

It's a amazing tool. Myself and my team use it daily, we like it.

I still have two majors issues to solve to make it THE solution for our specific projet.

We use addressable for two reasons:
    - one classic - skins for gun, skin for avatar - no issues
    - one specific - map - our specific project nearly require to have specific map for each of our customers

For a map, a bundle can size one gig.

First issue is when we "Update a previous build" some time, it rebuild only what is necessary and some time rebuild all (all skins, all maps...).

This is an issue for us because we don't want all customers to download again all asset, it is a lot of data but most importantly we don't want a regression on all customers while we where only working on a custom map for one customer.
    We want to be able to choose what to update in a catalog.

I read al lot of thread about the subject, it is not possible to choose what to rebuild or not ("not included in build" option will also remove the key in the catalog).

What could be great will be to be able to edit the catalog json file just after the build. But the hash check failed if the file is changed.

Is it possible to remove the hash check of the catalog or be able to generate the hash by hand?

Is it possible to create a editor script or edit/access to the addressable code to fine tune the build process of the catalog? In order to be able to select the group we want to rebuild?
    I did not look at the code yet.

Others ideas:
    - remove the group "Duplicate Asset Isolation" to limit dependency
    - we have an other pb that may be linked. When we want to export a scene as a unity package, it export also a lot of thing not in the scene (I'm not talking about script). These things (prefabs, 3D models, materials...) may have been put in the scene for test purpose and removed later but the scene keep a link someway (as it is considered as dependency even if it has been removed).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The additional issue is we want to imitate the update of the catalog. We want our customer to choose individually when they want to update (during closing time for instance).

Is it possible to not update automatically the catalog? For instance to be able to inform the customer (player) that there is an update and that he may update now or later.

PS : we are using Unity 2019.3.13 and addressable version 1.8.3

2. AlexandreDelan

AlexandreDelan

I'm reading the addressable package. I understood that I may need to customize it to fullfil my needs.

For my second needs, reading the code, I found "Disable Catalog Update on Startup" as a start for my solution.

I also found HashingMethods.Calculate(jsonText).ToString(); to create the hash file.