Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

UI Canvas not following parent properly? [Confirmed, Fix in 5.5]

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Yocal, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Yocal

Yocal

Hello,

There's a canvas with two images parented to my wand. Worked perfectly in 5.3, but when opening it in 5.4 it doesnt seem to parent as expected and becomes more like rubberband-bound compared to parenting :)

Check it out: https://gfycat.com/FailingAlarmedHornedviper

Is this a bug, working as intended - if so, how would one get it back to the normal state?

- Emmett

2. Yocal

Yocal

Here is a stripped down project that shows the problem. The canvas slides but the cube follows the controller. You can download it from here the next week:

- http://wikisend.com/download/392310/FloatingCanvas.zip

Looking forward to hear if I've done something wrong :)

- Emmett

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Could you submit that stripped-down project to our bug database via the 'Report a Bug' option in Unity, then post the bug number here, please?

4. Yocal

Yocal

Sure thing, superpig - It's submitted under case number: 814569

For speed up bug-fixing:

ProtonOne, superpig and Devil_Inside like this.
  5. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I'm seeing the exact same thing, it didn't happen on 5.4.0b17, but I updated to 5.4.0f1 and my world space UI is acting like that too now.

6. Yocal

Yocal

The problem was present in 5.4.0b25 as well, the version just before the RC1... If that info is of any use - at least we have it nailed down to somewhere in between b17 and b25 :)

7. Yocal

Yocal

E-mail from the QA-team:

We have been able to reproduce this issue and have forwarded it to our developers as a bug. However, we cannot say when or how soon it will be fixed.

So that's something :)

ProtonOne likes this.
  8. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Strange thing is this problem only happens in the editor. Builds seem to work okay (WebGL & Windows anyway).

9. Yocal

Yocal

Oh! Nicely spotted! Did not think about testing that. Back to 5.4 then i guess! :)

10. Yocal

Yocal

E-mail from the QA-team:

A workaround is to modify the SteamVR_UpdatePoses.cs script.. change OnPreCull to LateUpdate. This will make the controllers line up with the UI but they will be slightly more latent, so it is only recommended updating in LateUpdate when you need UI attached to the controllers.

A proper fix for this is scheduled for 5.5 where the controllers will be updated before the UI, bringing latency down.

elJoel likes this.