Search Unity

Can't use Unity with NordVPN

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Turodoras, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Turodoras

Turodoras

Hi, I need help. I just reinstalled Unity after a long time of non-using Unity, but it says i am non connected to internet. The exact message is "You are currently not connected to a network. Some options will be unavailable.". My license is already activated, my only option is "Quit".
    Thank you by advance.

Edit: I found out the problem is nordVON, anyone has any idea to fix this on W10?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. NorthStarTS

NorthStarTS

Hey, I am in USA by the way, I had the same problem with Nord. I also found it slowed down other web sites, especially Amazon.com. Amazon would actually load quicker if I connected through Nord's Candian servers. Strange.
    I tried Open VPN recommended as a solution elsewhere in Unity forums. It works with Nord VPN servers but the problems with my connection would still come and go.
    I suspected part of the issue is Windows 10 firewall or other Windows settings, so I was actually turning off Windows firewall, which sort of helped but seemed like the wrong thing to be doing. It was not really solving the issue 100% of the time anyway.
    Just today I decided to stop trying to work around and fight Windows and instead use a part of Windows I kept seeing but had never explored. Setting up a VPN connection in Windows 10 using Windows 10 own network settings. It turns out Nord VPN tells you exactly what to do on their site. https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/windows-10/ikev2/
    It worked like magic for me. All websites are faster and even Amazon is flying. Oh, yeah Unity works fine too. ;-)
    So even though I just found this today, the results are so clearly good that I am 99% certain it is the solution I was looking for. I have set up my second machine the same way and it too is now surfing the web flawlessly.
    I will update this post if tomorrow or soon the same old sluggish performance and times outs come back.

3. usbuildpro

usbuildpro

Here's a much easier fix for those of you who want to use Nord VPN On Windows 10, and, use chrome for browsing. Simply run your Nord VPN, open google chrome browser, click on the dots in the upper right corner. Click on tools, click on extensions, search for Nord VPN, install the extension, and enjoy. As a added bonus, you will be able to use the package manager too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  4. harleyfinn90

harleyfinn90

Well I am using OneVPN https://www.onevpn.com/windows-vpn protocol ikev2 on windows 10 the setup procedure is similar as mention in above guide but there is no need to import certificate which makes it quite simple to configure. I didn’t face any issues like this.

5. frostyone

frostyone

2020 problem is still there

6. Totalschaden

Totalschaden

The Problem is around for many years already. It will still be there in 2021 because noone responsible cares. Sad.

7. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I just installed NordVPN and Unity now freezes on launch. Why was this never fixed?

8. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Because its not unity fault.
    The VPN client is intercepting ip conmunication that is local to your maschine and should never go over the VPN.
    Yes unity should not freeze but should show a error message better describing what is going on but its von client misbehavior that is causing it.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Thanks @fffMalzbier, good to know.

NordVPN just gave me this answer:

"We would rather not give you an estimation when we do not actually have one for certain. Telling you that it will take 5 days and if in reality, it ends up taking 2 months - would be bad for both sides involved. We understand that waiting is rather frustrating, and I can only apologize in the name of the company."
    ~ Rodrigo Iglesia, Customer Success Team.

Hahaha! Such fluff! So, they actually managed to not answer my question, which was: "Is a fix planned?". My interpretation is: no fix is planned =(

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. Alunny

Alunny

I'm trying this but it says "remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve".

I'm not even using Nord when I'm using Unity I don't know why I can't use them both anyway.

11. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Using the latest NordVPNapp 6.30.10.0 with Unity 2020.1.0b13 on Windows, Unity no longer freezes and/or crashes when attempting to open. Instead, never finishes the progress bar. I tried three times, and everytime it got stuck a different place. If I disconnect NordVPN, the progress bar starts to progress again.

So, this is still an issue. Unity can't open when NordVPN is active.

12. mookfasa

mookfasa

Still have this issue using 2020.1.2f1 with NordVPN. Anyone figure out a work around?

13. EliteFrame

EliteFrame

Potential fix is to disable the nordvpn network adapter in network settings, but it doesn't work all of the time. Also try opening unity with a different version. This seemed to work for me.

14. R3QQ

R3QQ

This worked for me:
    1. Uninstall both NordVPN and Unity (I used IObit uninstaller, if that makes any difference).
    2. Install NordVPN.
    3. Install Unity.

15. aifirst

aifirst

In Unity3D 2020.2.2 patch note, it said that this issue was resolved.
    But, when I ran Unity3D 2020.2.2, editor was launched normally,
    then after launch, "EditorApplication.update" popup shown and crashed :(

16. crazydaze

crazydaze

Same issue here, been talking with Tech Support for a while now. I'll let yo know if anything comes from it. ExpressVPN didn't have issues connecting to Unity when I used it.

17. crazydaze

crazydaze

If you disable the nord network adapter, then you are connecting online as if you weren't using Nord. It's better to just quit the application from taskbar then relaunch the program as needed.

18. Totalschaden

Totalschaden

1Year+ later, officially stated as "fixed" still not working for anyone.

19. msnz

msnz

Same here. I've even tried NordVPN's "Split Tunneling" feature and added Unity to the list... still won't work.

What happens is Unity launches successfully, and then after a few seconds a prompt appears that says "Editor Application.update". After that, Unity crashes and exits. If I'm not connected to NordVPN, the prompt never appears.

Unity version: 2020.3.5f1

20. FYI: Private Internet Access is working seamlessly with Unity and they didn't hide a potential breach in their network, unlike NordVPN. Just sayin'.

21. msnz

msnz

Maybe it's time I switch to something other than NordVPN.

22. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I just installed NordVPN and found my projects were crashing (I'm mostly on 2019 with only a few on 2020/2021). Did a quick test by connecting to the VPN and launching Unity. Within 30 seconds (doing absolutely nothing) Unity 2019 crashes hard (no error box, not freezing, just dies a horrible death). Turn off VPN connection and everything works fine. Turn it back on (just to test) and get the same behavior. Bottom line, unless something changes with Unity I'll just be turning off my VPN while I'm in the Editor. PITA.

23. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

NordVPN has known about this problem in their software for over a year. My suggestion would be to just choose a different VPN. Unity is not going to redesign how their software works to work around the laziness of a single VPN provider.

24. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

That isn't an option when someone chooses a tool for their own reasons like I did to go with a certain VPN provider. If Unity had some error on Windows but not their Mac client I suppose you would say "well just choose a different OS".

It's just plain ridiculous, as some people have said on the logged Unity bug for this, that Unity cares about how your network is setup and can't work with it. 100% of every other tool I use doesn't have a problem and those also reach out to their respective servers for updates, license checking, etc. and don't crash like Unity does.

Like I said I've made the choice to go with NordVPN for my own reasons and unfortunately with this broken system I simply have to disable it whenever I use Unity until either of the tool changes and can work at the same time without crashing. I don't suggest anyone make a decision on something as generic as a VPN system based on it's compatibility with a game engine editor.

25. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

But that isn't the issue though. Those aren't examples of local IP traffic. The NordVPN bug is the software is taking local IP traffic between different processes on the same computer and redirecting it out the VPN when it shouldn't even touch it. Using local IP traffic to communicate between different applications on the same computer is a perfectly valid way of doing things, and Unity shouldn't need to redesign how all their software works just because NordVPN can't be bothered to look at a destination IP address.

Pretty much every other VPN provider has put in this minimum amount of effort with their software design. You're complaining to the wrong company.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    OccularMalice likes this.
  26. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Duly noted and thanks for that clarification. I'm invested now in both tools and not about to abandon it given the situation. Not sure I would have chosen a different VPN system knowing this, but I agree with you that it's not Unity's fault here and NordVPN has dropped the ball.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  27. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We investigated it, and tried very hard to fix it. NordVPN is altering Windows API behaviour in a way that causes them to error out and we cannot really recover from it. There's not much we can do there unfortunately by ourselves. Here's the issue tracker link FWIW: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1308797/

Note we are in conversations with NordVPN about it. As the issue tracker link says, we are still trying to chase this down.

Joe-Censored and OccularMalice like this.
  28. Totalschaden

Totalschaden

Thanks for the Informative feedback. My NordVPN Subscription runs out next month, I will look for another VPN Provider for sure. How long do they know that the Problem is on their side already ? The NordVPN Support always blamed Unity, and i had contact with it several times...

I was always hoping it will get fixed "soon" and now the 3 years subscriptions runs out... unbeliveable how long this Issue is already present.

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Looks like we received the initial bug report in January of this year (the one I linked). We did the first fix which came out in Unity 2020.2.6f1, 2021.1.0b9 and 2021.2.0a6. However, after a couple months we reopened the bug because our initial fix didn't appear to work on everyone's machines. It was still crashing on some.

We started conversations with NordVPN at end of April. They confirmed they could reproduce the issue in July and are investigating.

30. ironunity2020

ironunity2020

31. jeberl

jeberl

We had a similar issue with OpenVPN. However, we are using a private Package Repo and Plastic SCM server, and are somewhat forced to be on the VPN when working with Unity. I have tried everything like allowing UnityEditor, PackageManager and ShaderCompiler through my firewall explicitly, without much success.

I found a temporary workaround however. We just started removing standard Unity packages we don't really use (such as Ads, Purchase and the like), and I found the culprit to be a package named Collab-Proxy. I did not experience another hang after removing this package. So try removing it if you don't use it, and see if it works for you.

32. jsteave

jsteave

I am also having the lots of issues with the nord vpn

Last edited: May 20, 2022