Search Unity

can't upgrade materials/textures

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Loffen7, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Loffen7

Loffen7

i have added the 7.21 verision to a unity project.
    when i try to update the textures/materials i get a "error" reading like:
    dirt material material was not upgraded. There's no upgrader to convert Hidden/InternalErrorShader shader to selected pipeline
    UnityEditor.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader:UpgradeProjectMaterials() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.2.1/Editor/UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader.cs:25)

how do i fix this?

pavanganesh likes this.
  2. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

You will encounter this error if the material in question does not have a valid shader to begin with, for example this material 'dirt' had the shader 'Hidden/InternalErrorShader' which means it was already missing the shader before converting, or is pointing to a shader than no longer works.

I would check back before upgrading to see what that material had, and if it was missing before this is expected, but if it was not missing before then it would be great if you can send a bug report with a repo project for us to take a look at.

3. Padzz

Padzz

i've encountered the same issue, when i imported some trees form the assets store but when i tried to upgrade them it didnt work even they had valid shaders like the Leaf material had the Nature/Tree Creator Leaves....

etaysch99, Kerphelio and pavanganesh like this.
  4. YAIBAzz

YAIBAzz

same

pavanganesh likes this.
  5. zloivan

zloivan

Guys any solutions to this one? Got two asset packs from asset store both has trees and for both was not able to convert materials.

alribeiro and pavanganesh like this.
  6. moosesnWoop

moosesnWoop

Have the same issues with a few different asset packs purchased from the store.

LWRP is installed and I have tried 'upgrade (selected/project) materials' to no avail. Kind of stuck at this point.

firebird721 and pavanganesh like this.
  7. uonlyliveonce

uonlyliveonce

Any word on this? I'm having the same problem as well. The pink objects all have valid shaders before URP.2020.1.6f1

It doesn't say "Hidden/InternalError" it says:
    Default-Terrain-Standard material was not upgraded. There's no upgrader to convert Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit shader to selected pipeline
    UnityEditor.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader:UpgradeProjectMaterials() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@9.0.0-preview.55/Editor/UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader.cs:25)

I have the asset set in my settings
    upload_2020-9-26_18-51-50.png

8. MattESqr

MattESqr

@Andre_Mcgrail - when it finds a 'Hidden/InternalError' shader, why doesn't it just apply the URP/Lit anyway? Or ask? Or suggest something? Moving from BuiltIn to an SRP can be a huge step for large projects, so I would expect Unity to support this more rigorously.

Bhanuteja_g and cyber_demon like this.
  9. vrman3dfcc

vrman3dfcc

Agreed.... Or when converting any project, why not have an option to '[ ] Pause and give solution options' or something like that.

10. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Same - I have a BIG project and there's no way it upgraded ALL materials in 0.1 second. It acted as if it instantly succeeded. There's a serious bug somewhere. I had this issue in both LWRP in 2019 and URP now in 2020 (and it was reported everywhere by numerous people). @Andre_Mcgrail ?

AGarita likes this.
  11. moosesnWoop

moosesnWoop

Back again, seems that the issue is on-going. I have the same assets in a project I started on 2019 and updated to 2020. It works perfectly fine, but I wanted to start the project anew. Followed the usual steps with setting up URP, and I have LWRP and HDRP installed.

Throws the error that the materials can't be upgraded because the upgrader is missing from the URP.

DL 2019 editor now and will work on the LTS version as that seemed to work originally. Not sure why the 2020 editor won't upgrade. I mean, it's 8.2.0 version (latest) for all the RP packages.

Should be straightforward, but it's not.

12. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Having flashbacks of porting from Unity Text to TextMeshPro Text. This is Unity's primary flaw: Beautifully easy to lure folks in, but seems to abandon UX completely for anything even remotely advanced like this. It is... unprofessional (dare I say amateur) for Unity's size:budget.

13. moosesnWoop

moosesnWoop

Here again.

After spending an hour trying to get the package manage to connect to Unity servers, I loaded a normal URP scene.

THE DEFAULT SCENE IS PINK.

How can this be? I have versions on my backup that work normally if I open those projects. How can a brand spanking new projects default scene, with URP assets upgraded etc. still remain pink?

Is URP completely broken? This is some ridiculous disruption because I still can't find a solution. Seems like 2019 was the final good year for Unity?

wangtaoETO and MrLucid72 like this.
  14. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Yep, I can confirm this happens to me too. Depressing. Any QA going to actually test this stuff before release? X_X Unity execs, you guys are actually spending your funding, right?

15. NicoDicoDingo

NicoDicoDingo

Just happened to me, imported a package (that contained one model and its materials, not even a scene) into an URP project and the entire scene has turned pink, upgrading does nothing no matter how I do it and I still don't understand what makes the shaders behave like this, as they have the same config as they always did, even lost all the post processing...
    Incredibly bad considering how much Unity promotes using URP but stuff that damages completely your project like this is still not fixed. Will stick to the standard pipeline when I get enough motivation to even use Unity again.

FallingRocketGames likes this.
  16. FallingRocketGames

FallingRocketGames

Any solutions to this yet? Also imported an asset form the assetstore and next thing I know everything is pink hell

wangtaoETO and DaveLHOz like this.
  17. mallikebadata

mallikebadata

I had facing the same. FIXED it
    Choose that material, change the shader to URP>Lit (it will appear grey)
    Choose the basemap which is yourtexture for that mat. Adjust other values like Surface type and Render face

18. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Then repeat 10000 times for every single object! Unfortunately, not a solution. This was reported long ago, yet still ignored - sigh.

19. TiG

TiG

Sorry but that is not a solution, thats just using another material/shader alltogether. We need a proper solution.

alribeiro and MrLucid72 like this.
  20. EpicP

EpicP

Did you create a universal render pipeline asset and then reference that in project settings > graphics and quality? That fixed it for me.

Dkp2 and svobodajak like this.
  21. SI_007

SI_007

This also suddenly appeared in one of my project, most likely upon importing an asset. Much more attention should be put into resolving this URP issue. It creates such a bad impression.

MrLucid72 and Clara_Forwood like this.
  22. benzw17

benzw17

Is it really not a proper solution? It seems like the best current alternative, at least. Although it's not convenient to convert every material like that, it seemed to work for me. :)

23. Benzeyne

Benzeyne

This may have something to do with Probuilder materials causing issues if your project is using Probuilder. I've been looking into this, found a couple guides that might help, posted below. In addition to this I did have to change the material shaders to shader graph and it seems to work so far. Still not as easy as clicking one button but at least it seems to work. Luckily my project is only a couple levels long right now. On top of all this I also tried cleaning the GI cache, deleting all my existing lightmaps and generating the lighting again from the Lighting window.

Hope this helps, good luck!

https://forum.unity.com/threads/probuilder-is-bugged-with-lwrp.665542/

24. joeee19

joeee19

It was a big sale on the Asset Store, so I bought an Asset called Feel from the developer of the famous Corgi engine.
    The demo scene is the latest URP for Unity 2020.3LTS.
    I did the Upgrade, but most of it is still pink with the following error

Mystery_01 material was not upgraded. There's no upgrader to convert Legacy Shaders/Particles/Alpha Blended shader to selected pipeline
    UnityEditor.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader:UpgradeProjectMaterials () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.5.0/Editor/UniversalRenderPipelineMaterialUpgrader.cs:25)

This is just an example, but it turns most of the past assets into pink.
    "Legacy Shaders/Particles/Alpha Blended shader" is supposed to be a past Unity built-in shader.
    Can you at least make it possible to automatically upgrade the shaders provided by Unity, including Legacy's?
    It's very painful to see so many useful samples from the internet and the history of Unity's assets being wasted in the past.

BBIT-SOLUTIONS likes this.
  25. SGMB

SGMB

Hey guys I'm really late but I have found another solution as well. My "error" was that there was no scriptable render pipeline setting. This message appeared when I assigned my RenderPipelineAsset in Quality in projectsettings. If this message appears. Go to Project Settings > Graphics and then assign the same RenderPipeLineAsset to "ScriptableRenderPipelineSetting". This is my solution.

26. SGMB

SGMB

Also if you use any values in your shader graph that use Color then make sure that the transparency is not 0

27. hark313

hark313

Fixed.

Step 1. Create RenderPipeLine from Project window.
    Step 2. Open Project Setting / Graphics / Drag & Drop RenderPipeLine

Thanks

kane_unity75 and GGodis like this.
  28. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

On Unity 2021.2.11 I changed to URP 12.1.4 and set the graphics pipeline. All materials pink at this point as expected. Tried to upgrade materials with Render Pipeline Converter and the after selecting Built-in to URP I can't check Material Upgrade so can't upgrade materials for this project. In the meantime, the standard built-in materials for the assets remain no error shown. Back to Unity 2020 where things work

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  29. dingaloo12

dingaloo12

Yep, I've tried all the solutions listed here (other than manually going through every individual material, because that's just not practical on a project of the size I'm working on) and everything is still all pink. About to try reverting to a prior version of Unity.

30. MackNugget

MackNugget

ProCode1560, infernkp and Itzeusmto like this.
  31. papafhill

papafhill

I bought the Beffio RPG Medieval Building Kit last night and I'm now at the same "upgrader can't convert materials" error in the URP Pipeline Converter screen. Nothing above actually fixes this problem and it is sad that this is a 2 year old thread with no viable solution.

If Unity wants to troubleshoot, all they need to do is set up the URP as normal, then import the asset pack above, run the Pipeline Converter on these assets. I'd love to have this sorted so I can look at these assets in depth, but sadly I can't without this solution.

32. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

How is there no QA all over this post? Breaking issue since 2020 and still persists. Ever since 5.6, I swear Unity staff (or fixes in general) has dropped significantly. Not that 5.6 was stable [at all - oh god, it was so unstable, but I digress], but they at least seemed eager to fix issues.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Any way to simply replace the Default-Diffuse invisble material with a URP one ? thanks

34. analogupstudios

analogupstudios

Here's what I did to fix the issue for Hidden/InternalErrorShader:

NOTE: this process is irreversible and will permanently change your materials. Create a backup first.

1. Reimport the broken material package [do not delete the broken shader materials];
    2. go to Window>Rendering>Render Pipeline Converter;
    3. Select Built-In to URP from the drop down list;
    4. Check Rendering Settings and Material Upgrade;
    5. Select Initialize Converters [ this will add all the materials in the project to the queue]
    6. Lastly, select Convert Assets.

Happy Engineering

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    maze6572198 likes this.
  35. Alxapro80

Alxapro80

I solved it, at least for my problem, it was: "Material was not upgraded. There's no upgrader to convert Custom/Diffuse Alpha shader to selected pipeline", what I did was select the material and change the shader to: URP -> 2D -> Sprite-Lit-Default, as it was a texture this worked, I hope it helps someone else.

36. purificationalex90

purificationalex90

I tried this because it wasn't fixing at anyhow.

Attached Files:

• 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      60.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      5.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.PNG
      6.PNG
      File size:
      22.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.PNG
      7.PNG
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.PNG
      8.PNG
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  37. GameActuator

GameActuator

Anyone struggling with the Pink textures or difficulty converting to URP watch this video. Nearly chucked my PC trying to convert some assets I bought from the Unity store as none would render properly. Watched this video and he takes you through the different problems you might be having. Hope it helps.

maimoose likes this.
  38. Mahad_org

Mahad_org

i dont get the check boxses what should i do in your point 4 u say to check i dont get the boxes

39. isabelleus95

isabelleus95

YESSS THIS HELPED ME! Thank you so much

40. ClankedNTHN

ClankedNTHN

If you guys still can't find a solution, I found another. If the built-in upgrader is still returning errors and swapping the shader doesn't help (or is just unreliable), check your imported pack for a URP upgrader.

Some creators like synthy studios provide URP support for certain assets and without running these upgraders, the asset will have no info to support that shader. Example below.

upload_2023-8-20_12-0-31.png

Just open your asset packs imported folder, look up URP, and run the pack they might've provided. If you do not have one then your pack might've been too small. Hope this helps!

41. SuspecM

SuspecM

Unity newbie necroing an old thread. Bought Feel not that long ago for the kick ass features and "gAmEpLaY FeEL" upgrade it provides. Everything in the demos that's not just the default render pipeline is pink and the online documentations only cover the very basics and not once mention all the other features, like the sound manager part of Feel, which I assume is a later addition.

42. jmojico

jmojico

I "solved" (workarounded?) this problem by creating an empty 3D project (no default renderer)
    instead of using 3D URP template. Let's see how this build goes.... :p
    But at least al materials are previewing/playing correctly after importing the asset in the scene

upload_2023-11-7_12-4-13.png