Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't type into text fields in the inspector

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CTCuberHD, Oct 2, 2019.

1. CTCuberHD

CTCuberHD

Whenever the inspector is attached to another window (if that's how you say it) i can not type in the inspector. i can however change values by clicking and dragging my mouse but that is much less accurate. But when i drag the inspector out so its just a separate floating window everything works perfectly fine and i can type again. i'm a beginner and was working on my first full project as this happened so kind of annoying that unity is like that to me on my first game.

rashaad23367 likes this.
  2. RuruKawaii123

RuruKawaii123

The same thing happens to me!! It happens when I click the X button to close Unity or any of those 3 buttons. Nobody answered this? That bug is very annoying...

ImShinx and rashaad23367 like this.
  3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report so we can investigate.

BestTess likes this.
  4. ishaanbose123

ishaanbose123

I faced the same problem. The solution is :
    1) go to layout.
    2) set the layout to default.
    3) now everything is working again.

I think setting it to default defaults everything.

5. tjduffy4

tjduffy4

That worked instantly thank you

CarfunkledFlip1 and sbrodie like this.
  6. whoisxiri

whoisxiri

Thanks, I had the same problem and this worked! Does anyone knows what's the cause?

7. A3miz

A3miz

Thank You soooooooooooo much
    you saved my life

luireed likes this.
  8. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

I had this issue in 2020.1.11f1 setting layout to default fixed it as well.

9. martinmarty

martinmarty

I just found this thread because I was having this problem on 2019.3.6f1. Normally I use my own custom layout Marty1 but I had messed with it yesterday when I lost my Scene Gizmo and I was trying to get it back. I noticed that my Layout was on Default when I was having the problem. After switching the Layout back to Marty1 it fixed the problem, so apparently switching between layouts resets whatever it is that causes the problem. I do not know exactly when I lost the ability to type in the Transform fields. All I know is I went to work on an animation and like the other posters said, I could adjust Transform values by dragging but not by typing - very imprecise. THANKS for the clue how to fix. I am a beginner at Unity.
    p.s. I am considering making a Marty2 layout that is just like my Marty1 and then if this happens again I can just toggle between them.

ImShinx likes this.
  10. IrishTorch

IrishTorch

How is toggling between layouts or doing a dance between game tab, asset tab, etc. any kind of solution?
    This bug presents itself constantly. I do not have time to 'fix' the issue every time it does.
    I have tried all of the above solutions, but the issue just reappears again within a few minutes.

11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did anyone ever file a bug report? We could fix it if you did ;)

Haxel0rd and Joe-Censored like this.
  12. gurbrindersingh

gurbrindersingh

I could have filed the bug report if am sure about the steps to reproduce. Unfortunately, there is no specific project or version where it happens. This appears to be happening randomly even in past unity versions as well. Currently I am using Unity 2019.4.24f1 it's still there. Is it necessary to add steps to reproduce? I wonder if it never happened for team at Unity. Or it is being ignored.

ImShinx likes this.
  13. JakeStaines

JakeStaines

I just had something that looked very similar to this issue - I can't click, focus, and type into numeric and text input fields on the inspector. For me changing the layout didn't help, but undocking the inspector made the fields editable again. As soon as the inspector was re-docked, the problem came back, and it's a pain to use floating over the top of the IDE.

I've submitted a bug report, but it was definitely working fine when I first opened the Unity IDE, so I get the impression it's something that was triggered by some other factor - perhaps just because Unity was open for a certain period of time, perhaps some interaction with Visual Studio (where I was editing scripts at the time), who knows.

For me, closing and re-opening the IDE fixed the issue at least for now.

14. MaxLohMusic

MaxLohMusic

Mine entered a weird state where I couldn't type in any text boxes, and my cursor had to become a "slider" to drag left/right and that was the only way to change any values. Not sure if this is a "feature" but no idea why anyone would want to use it this way. Restarting Unity fixes the issue.

15. UmutKaan50

UmutKaan50

Thanks it solved my issue too!

16. NxT01

NxT01

i just had to restart unity and thats it

17. ErwinsArm

ErwinsArm

How is this STILL not fixed?

ImShinx likes this.
  18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I don't believe we have had a bug report yet. It seems hard to reproduce and we have been unable to reproduce it also. Hard to fix something when you don't know what's going wrong and there's no reproduction.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  19. ajeets1978

ajeets1978

I am wandering that Unity can be so careless and they themselves have not find it and one irresponsible person with a Tag of "Unity Technologies" telling others to file a bug and believe they need to wait for big reports, May be because of your careless responses no body bother even to file the bug report.

Steps to reproduce
    • Create a public or SerializedField as String array
    • If you keep the Game Tab in the same window as of your inspector and other tabs, you won't be able to type anything in it.

Workaround: Either move the Game tab window out or inspector window out it works.
    Following is the one liner you can test it with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField] public string[] randomName;
    and then test it in Inspector, keep the game tab all in same editor window.

Please let me know where to file the bug, I will do.

AGregori, ImShinx and jeremedia like this.
  20. ajeets1978

ajeets1978

21. Plague_Agent

Plague_Agent

I just closed out Unity and it's working again. Same thing happened to me.

Sara_01 likes this.
  22. jeremedia

jeremedia

Moving the Game tab into a floating tab worked for me. The Game tab is definitely continuously stealing focus when docked with an inspector. 2022.1.9.

23. AlexanderConstan

AlexanderConstan

ill try it thanks

24. Owen0

Owen0

Lol, why did this work for everyone else but not me. I did it but it changed nothing.

Afrina_shu and heartingNinja like this.
  25. BestTess

BestTess

Feb '23- bug still exists, setting layout to default still fixes it :eek:

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

27. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Feb 3, 2023:

I encountered this bug for the first time today on Unity version 2021.3.0f1 where text fields and float fields could not be edited, and property fields with text input couldn't be edited either except with the arrow slider on the label. This was true while in edit mode and play mode.

Unfortunately unable to reproduce it, I encountered this bug while developing a rather complex custom inspector and am not sure at what point the bug occurred.

• Setting the layout to default did not fix the issue.
    • Redocking the inspector did not fix the issue.
    • Restarting Unity fixed the issue.

I am checking if the application is in play mode and calling some functions on the SerializedObject target that the custom inspector is displaying so the GUI is updated while the app is playing. Maybe there is a clue in there.

If it happens again I'll try and learn more.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    karl_jones likes this.
  28. unity_PwXfMGmzHmDcsw

unity_PwXfMGmzHmDcsw

worked for me. you can even save your current layout and switch right back

29. huqules

huqules

I'm on 2018.3.0f2 and I've found that clicking on separate detached unity window and then clicking back to my main window fixes the issue for me.

30. HeavyWizardAlchemist

HeavyWizardAlchemist

Hi guys, i have the same problem, but none of the options worked. what am I supposed to do