Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't set streamingMipmapsRenderersPerFrame via code

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by greengremline, Jun 30, 2018.

1. greengremline

greengremline

Hey guys, testing out the new texture streaming and loving it! However, I am unable to set the property in the title through code - or rather I can in the editor, however when I go to build, i get a compiler error:

Assets/Project/Scripts/Settings/TextureQualitySettings.cs(46,23): error CS0200: Property or indexer `UnityEngine.QualitySettings.streamingMipmapsRenderersPerFrame' cannot be assigned to (it is read-only)

This is 2018.2.0b10 btw

Thanks!

2. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

Glad to hear the texture mipmap streaming is useful to you. Your feedback is appreciated.

The streamingMipmapsRenderersPerFrame property can currently only be modified in editor.
    It was setup as a deployment time optimisation setting.
    The internal buffers can currently only be safely resized when the streaming system is inactive.
    Sorry that detail was not clear from the current documentation.

Can you explain further what you were hoping to do with this control property.
    Were you hoping to dynamically change this value over time, or perhaps just set at startup based on a platform hardware configuration ?
    I'm also curious as to which platform you are testing the feature on.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  3. greengremline

greengremline

Thanks so much for your response!

I was hoping to use this control in our options menu when changing texture quality settings - so that the number of renderers being updated each frame would hopefully scale better with different hardware levels

So it would only be changed at specific times in our options menu

I am testing this on the Windows standalone platform

Btw I had actually spent three weeks setting up mipmap texture streaming myself before being told you guys were implementing it, it has been really useful - we have a ton of high quality textures (2k and 4k) so our texture memory was getting way out of hand. Since implementing streaming, people have reported massive frame increases and loading time increases as we instantiate our level prefabs, so thanks so much for adding this!

richardkettlewell likes this.
  4. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

That sounds like a reasonable use case. Please could you raise this as a bug report / feature request.
    There is information on how to do that here in case you've not done so before.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting