Search Unity

Can't set FOV less than 1 in Unity later than 2018 1.7.f1

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by loki-void, Jul 16, 2018.

1. loki-void

loki-void

Hello, I'm developing a sniper simulator so I'm working with very little camera FOVs - about 0.8. Since U2018.2.0.f2 Camera FOV less than 1 can't be set nor via script not in inspector window. Can you please fix this or tell some workaround how to set little camera fov?

2. loki-void

loki-void

Hello?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There's probably not a lot of people using that small of camera FOV. If this is a bug, it won't be addressed in response to a forum post. There is an official bug reporting process to follow.

karl_jones and Kiwasi like this.
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Sounds like something is set up wrong, a 4x Scope would be something like 15 FOV when 60 is the normal and a 12x scope would be 5 FOV so a FOV at 1 would mean something like 60x zoom, not very common scope optic I would say :)

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Good point.

Nonetheless, FOVs below one degree should still work.

Kiwasi, hippocoder and AndersMalmgren like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed, it should still work or get as close as 0.01 if is capped as a bug workaround.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Agreed, should offcourse work. Just to demonstrate what I talk about, here I changed one of our power scopes to FOV 2

edit: And in VR you can keep the other eye opened for situational awareness

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Common or not, there are commercially available scopes with 80x zoom.

And games are all about pushing past whats possible, regardless of reality.

hippocoder likes this.
  9. loki-void

loki-void

Hmm my calculations for FOV give me other numbers. Let's take a rifle scope for very long distances - for instance Vortex-TCS-1501. From it's data sheet we read a Field of View = 1.7 feet at 100 yards at zoom 60, which gives us an angle = 0.32 degree
    Moreover, after shot being made I zoom camera even more to let player analyze the shot spot. So I need such a little angles of FOV and Unity prior to 2018.2.0.f2 made it without any problems

10. loki-void

loki-void

So guys, can u please point me to forum where this issue could be listened by devs?

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's this forum. Developers do lurk here and I can easily point them here if it's really necessary. Just make a topic in the forum you believe is most suited to your situation. Perhaps Graphics Forum?

The direct path to developers is making a bug report. Put an example in there, and throw all the math at them you like - they will love you for it.

You can also check out the physical camera, and report any bugs you believe might arise from this new feature.

angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  12. Sluggy

Sluggy

Hmm if you get a bug report going I will happily vote on it. I'm currently using 2017.4 but this is concerning to me as I frequently use an FOV at the lowest possible setting since I tend to need an orthographic view while using features that aren't available when the camera is set to true orthgraphic rendering.

Something like this would mean I have no future upgrade paths in sight for Unity :(

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Sure, but Military marksmen use alot lower. Here in Sweden the military standard issue is a PSG 90 (A Swedish adopted version of Accuracy International Arctic Warfare) with 3-12 power magnification from Schmidt & Bender (Which cost around 5k USD so that 60x for 1.5k USD seems cheap :D).

edit: I verified the bug in 2018.2.1

14. bgolus

bgolus

15. loki-void

loki-void

Thank you for your advice. I've submitted a big to Unity QA and mentioned this as a workaround. They promised to have a look: "I've sent the bug case for resolution to the developers and will keep you updated on any changes.". Hopely the fix it.

16. loki-void

loki-void

Hey guys! The bug has been fixed:
    "I just wanted to let you know that your bug has been fixed and should no longer be reproducible in the upcoming 2018.3.0b1 beta version and also a backport to the 2018.2 version is coming in a near future. If you are still able to reproduce it on the mentioned version of Unity, please respond to this email."

Sluggy and richardkettlewell like this.