Search Unity

Bug Can't select UI elements through Scene without enabled Gizmos

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by RunninglVlan, Oct 8, 2020.

1. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Using Unity 2020.2.0b5.3233.
    When Gizmos are disabled I can't select UI elements. Need to enable Gizmos first.
    With disabled Gizmos I still can select them through Hierarchy and then, e.g., move them on the Scene.

unleech likes this.
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

This still irks me as well. Selecting UI with disabled Gizmos used to work, but in 2020.2 it stopped. Was this intended for a specific reason or should we report a bug?

HeshamAkmal and unleech like this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

RunninglVlan and Xarbrough like this.
  4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

The issue has been marked as Won't Fix, but I don't think this change is a good one.

For a long time, it was possible to select UI GameObjects when Gizmos were toggled off and now this is considered a bug, but I think it'll annoy more people than help them. As an example, I built a tool for the Asset Store that allows users to select objects including UI in the scene more easily and it relies on objects being selectable. Now, my tool doesn't work if Gizmos are disabled, which is confusing my users, prompting them to send me bug reports that my tool doesn't respond to selection.

I really don't see how Gizmos are related to selection in general. Sure, some Gizmos can be selected, but in general, if I turn of Gizmos, I can still select any 3D or 2D object in the scene, so why shouldn't I also select UI GameObjects?

@LeonhardP Not sure if you have any influence on this topic, but would it be possible to revisit this decision and bring it up again within the team?

unnanego likes this.
unityunity