Search Unity

Can't select objects in scene view

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willemsenzo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

Yesterday I installed Unity 3.5.7 free version. It seems I'm not able to select objects in the scene view by just clicking on them. When I click and drag the mouse it selects the object, but its very hard to select specific child objects this way. I know I can go through the hierarchy and select the object in there but that's not the workflow I'm after.

On my hunt for a solution I haven't got any luck so far. I searched for information on this issue, but either there is no answer, or people recommend to reinstall Unity which in my opinion is a bit too harsh for something like this. There is no guarantee anyway that this will solve the problem. I'm sure there must be some workaround or there is something I'm overlooking. I hope someone can help me on this, and if not then ofcourse there still is the brute force option of a new installation.

Thanks for reading this :)

2. ksam2

ksam2

Hi I have same issue in Unity 5.2.0 b4
    Please help

3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I have had this issue for many releases of Unity so far. So far it has happened about 20 times today. It selects objects behind the object which I am trying to select. When I close Unity and re-open I can then select the game object again. I guess Unity cannot reproduce this issue. But it is very annoying. I have to start disabling items behind the current items I am working on.

4. ksam2

ksam2

Re docking scene windows will solve this issue

alphadogware and ArachnidAnimal like this.
  5. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Ok, I'll try that the next time this starts happening.

6. ksam2

ksam2

Sorry but this solution was for my problem (I couldn't select anything). after docking scene windows solved. but don't know about you're issue

7. bocs

bocs

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Charlivi and ArachnidAnimal like this.
  8. TUNev

TUNev

This is ridiculous. -- Unity, please fix. I have the same problem, and I have tried everything that has been suggested. I am having to look through every rock in my project and guess randomly until I get it right which rock it is I want to move.

9. TUNev

TUNev

It won't even let me select ANYTHING

10. prossouw

prossouw

This is happening to me too.. constantly..

11. ksam2

ksam2

Closing scene view windows and docking it again doesn't solved your problem?

12. DPiddy

DPiddy

Hello,

This is happening to me as well.
    Closing/opening new Scene tabs does not fix this issue.

13. paulblue

paulblue

I am also having this issue. Creating a new scene works, except I have a lot of work put into the old scene. Changing the scene tab, closing it, restarting Unity, restarting my computer, nothing works. Once every 100 clicks while encountering this issue I may be able to click an object, then I click again and I am not able to select again.

Edit:
    Found finally in the middle of this Thread:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ects-in-scene-view-without-dragging-around-it
    Comment out/Delete the Code [ExecuteInEditMode]
    Water is not visible in edit more, but it works now.

14. cooperm211

cooperm211

I've also had this issue before (when it still doesn't come back after reloading the scene tab) and disabling the water did fix it. It's somehow like blocking clicks in the scene view.

15. tobiasforsling

tobiasforsling

Had the same problem working on our game! Sooooo frustrating! (Version 5.3.4f1)
    Found a guy who had a solution that in fact DID work! Quoted below!

"Oxeren

Apr 01, 2016 09:46

Had the same issue after updating to 5.3.4, as people are saying it was caused by water reflections. The solution that does not include changing water type is to remove [ExecuteInEditMode] line from the water script, though there will be no reflections in the scene view."

16. Cascho01

Cascho01

Confirmed

17. Corpano

Corpano

Hi.
    I`ve found some other solution that worked for me...
    Try to go to Layers and uncheck all Lock Layer for Picking for Default,TransparentFX....I`m using 5.5 Unity version.
    Hope It will work for you :)

MFen, Chosenator and honor0102 like this.
  18. honor0102

honor0102

That's my solution! thanks

19. michaelday008

michaelday008

For those having issues with this:
    In 2019.8.f1 I could not select anything in scene view. I clicked the "Layers" dropdown (which is located *under* the menu bar near the mimimize/close/maximize window controls at the top right of the editor.
    After clicking the lock beside "walkable" I could select objects again.

roshan090 likes this.
  20. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This worked for me, although I didn't have a "walkable" layer, for me it was the default UI layer

21. shmlalex

shmlalex

22. roshan090

roshan090

This worked for me

Chosenator likes this.
  23. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

24. dblqt

dblqt

Maybe stating the obvious but there is a gutter in the hierarchy window/tab where the visible and selectable property of each and every object can be set:
    upload_2020-6-29_16-1-46.png

hmpalo and jfragos like this.
  25. jessesloan1

jessesloan1

I locked and unlocked every layer. No joy. I used the gutter mentioned by dblqt above. No joy. The only thing that worked for me was to close Unity and restart it.

I wish they would refine the interface some. It would be nice to be able to disable selection of children but still be able to select the parent. For example i have a crate i made from several parts. They are all children an empty gameobject. If I disable selection (in the gutter) of all the child objects it automagically disables selection of the parent object. If anyone knows how to change this it would be awesome. I want to be able to point at the screen, click and ONLY select the parent. As it is if you point and click you are very like to select one of the children. Very annoying.

26. ammarbuthani

ammarbuthani

upload_2020-9-7_22-20-4.png

Had the same issue in 2020, solved by hitting W or clicking on that arrows instead of the hand

27. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

haha! Unity became the biggest crap on earth! Problem still in 2021.x ^^

restart? for what? why not uninstall?

Sorry for being destructive, but I lost faith in Unity. It's a pure bug-fest from 2019.x till now.....

PlanarBit likes this.
  28. mhardy

mhardy

2021.2.7f1 and this is still an issue. The only solution I've found is to close scene view and re-open.

Ne0mega likes this.
  29. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

2021.1.14f

BTW, when mhardy says close scene view and reopen, he means restarting unity will not help. You must close the scene tab and reopen it.

I have no idea when this started happening. It could be a third party software, although I have only two of those. It's been an issue for months, and I finally decided I did not like picking though a file tree to find what I wanted.

I tried all the other suggestions in this thread, most were not applicable. The only one that worked was closing scene view tab and reopening it again.

30. sisF

sisF

I can't believe this is still happening in 2022. It's such a simple bug but Unity still don't fix it? Unity, what are you doing?

31. Gravesend

Gravesend

Not a general solution but if you have "ClickToAdd" from the Asset store:
    pressing shift + left click will enable placement mode and you can't select GOs in the Scene view then. Press shift + right click to go back to normal mode (or "Stop placing" in the plugin window).

A bit specific, but I thought I'd post this anyway, it was driving me nuts until I realised it. I thought it was a bug, but for me it was just this.

(You can edit the Editor script for the ClickToAdd, I changed it to Shift + Control + LMB for now, or comment out completely, just use the manual buttons).

Edit: No shade on ClickToAdd! It works great, just be aware of this quirk! :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  32. harlandpj

harlandpj

Had this exact problem, only thing I found which solved it enabling me to select stuff in the scene again, was in the Hierarchy Window, if you see a (forgot the icon now - probably a lock symbol with a line thru itl!) to the LEFT OF your scene object name. eg <symbol> myBigBox, then clicking on that symbol unlocked it so I was able to select it again in the Scene.

I have NO idea how EVERY object suddenly became locked in scene by itself, but that's what fixed it.
    Another Unity bug?

Unity 2021.3.22f1

33. cwelbon

cwelbon

This bug is still around in 2022.3.10 LTS. Impressive.

34. DgoodingIndi

DgoodingIndi

None of these solutions worked for me, so created something to at "least" be able to select colliders.

Put on Emtpy GameObject - Right mouse click
    It's cumbersome, but miles better than drag selecting.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using System.Linq;
    6. using System.Collections.Generic;
    8. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    9. public class SceneViewRaycast : MonoBehaviour
    10. {
    11.     public bool ShowDebug;
    12.     public bool ShiftHeld;
    13.     public bool ControlHeld;
    15.     private void OnEnable() { SceneView.duringSceneGui += OnSceneGUI; }
    16.     private void OnDisable() { SceneView.duringSceneGui -= OnSceneGUI; }
    17.     private void OnDestroy() { SceneView.duringSceneGui -= OnSceneGUI; }
    21.     public void OnSceneGUI(SceneView sceneView)
    22.     {
    23.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyDown && Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.LeftShift)
    24.             ShiftHeld = true;
    25.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyUp && Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.LeftShift)
    26.             ShiftHeld = false;
    28.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyDown && Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.LeftControl)
    29.             ControlHeld = true;
    30.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.KeyUp && Event.current.keyCode == KeyCode.LeftControl)
    31.             ControlHeld = false;
    34.         if (Event.current.type == EventType.MouseDown && Event.current.button == 1)
    35.         {
    36.             Ray ray = HandleUtility.GUIPointToWorldRay(Event.current.mousePosition);
    37.             RaycastHit[] Allhit = Physics.RaycastAll(ray);
    38.             if (Allhit.Length == 0) return;
    40.             if (ShiftHeld)
    41.             {
    42.                 List<Object> Objs = Selection.objects.ToList();
    43.                 for(int i = 0; i < Allhit.Length; i++)
    44.                 {
    45.                     Object Obj = Allhit[i].collider.gameObject;
    46.                     if(!Objs.Contains(Obj))
    47.                     {
    48.                         if(ShowDebug) Debug.Log("Added object name: " + Obj.name);
    49.                         Objs.Add(Obj);
    50.                         Selection.objects = Objs.ToArray();
    51.                         return;
    52.                     }
    53.                 }
    54.             }
    55.             else if(ControlHeld)
    56.             {
    57.                 Object HitObj = Allhit[0].collider.gameObject;
    59.                 List<Object> Objs = Selection.objects.ToList();
    60.                 for (int i = 0; i < Objs.Count; i++)
    61.                 {
    62.                     Object Obj = Objs[i];
    63.                     if (Obj = HitObj)
    64.                     {
    65.                         if (ShowDebug) Debug.Log("Removed object name: " + Obj.name);
    66.                         Objs.Remove(HitObj);
    67.                         Selection.objects = Objs.ToArray();
    68.                         return;
    69.                     }
    70.                 }
    71.             }
    72.             else
    73.             {
    74.                 if (Allhit[0].collider.gameObject != Selection.activeGameObject)
    75.                 {
    76.                     if (ShowDebug) Debug.Log("Hit object name: " + Allhit[0].collider.gameObject.name);
    77.                     Selection.activeGameObject = Allhit[0].collider.gameObject;
    78.                 }
    79.                 else if (Allhit.Length > 1)
    80.                 {
    81.                     if (ShowDebug) Debug.Log("Hit object name: " + Allhit[1].collider.gameObject.name);
    82.                     Selection.activeGameObject = Allhit[1].collider.gameObject;
    83.                 }
    84.             }
    85.         }
    86.     }
    87. }
    89. #endif