Search Unity

Can't see "Attach to Unity" button in Visual Studio

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CesarOrozco, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CesarOrozco

CesarOrozco

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest Unity and Visual Studio versions, and I'm trying to debug a script but I can't see the "Attach to Unity" button in Visual Studio, I have seen some videos and the button should be here:

I tried to search but I couldn't find anything related to the missing button, any ideas?

Thanks!

DoomDude99 likes this.
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

What version of visual studio do you use? The one that comes packaged with unity seems to work fine out of the box for me...

3. CesarOrozco

CesarOrozco

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Did you try the one packaged with the unity install? Or downloaded separately?

5. CesarOrozco

CesarOrozco

I tried both of them, first with the one packaged with Unity and then the other one

whatnotory likes this.
  6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hmm. So you say you also used the "vs tools for unity" (I think thats what the installer says) when installing right? If that all went correctly I'm not sure why thats happening, because I see the button:

7. Zenix

Zenix

The 'button' is a menu item under 'Debug'. There's no button on the main interface. The 'Attach...' button that MD_Reptile is showing is for attaching to standard applications (not Unity ones).

russpatterson42, damobe and Danarchy like this.
  8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Opps my bad.

9. Reahreic

Reahreic

I question the correctness of the highlighted (red) portion of the above statement. The below is a screenshot shows that the Start button is replaced with Attach to Unity.

[Image lost to time, Sorry]

Currently I have it attached correctly, yet my co-worker next to me can't get it to attach. We've both selected VS 2017 in the unity preferences as that came installed by default (5.6) Both have VS2017 tools for unity installed and enabled.

EDIT: This fixed it for my co workers (YMMV):
    1. Close VS
    2. In Unity Select File > Build Settings
      1. Select the Development Build Checkbox
    3. Save Project
    4. In Edit > Preferences > External Tools
      1. Re-select your VS IDE (VS 2017)
    5. Double Click a script and let Unity initialize VS

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. Zenix

Zenix

The highlighted text is correct. The standard "Attach..." button that is shown when you have no solution open is for attaching to non-Unity applications. It is equivalent to selecting "Debug->Attach to Process...", when what you want for Unity apps is "Debug->Attach Unity Debugger".

If you have a button on the main interface that says "Attach to Unity", then that's a different button to what I (and MD_Reptile) was talking about. If you have this button (I don't, "Attach..." becomes "Start" for me when I have a solution open) it's probably safe to use it.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  11. lilQ

lilQ

This worked for me as well. Thanks!

12. bhallion

bhallion

Thanks !

This was crucial for me.
    Also I didn't installed the unity extension at all so you might need to install the extension using "Visual Studio Installer".
    vsi.png
    (Source: https://forum.unity.com/threads/support-for-visual-studio-2017-rc1.444124/ )

jayamohanan96, isgoed, EVART and 2 others like this.
  13. BrockKunz

BrockKunz

I am having this same issue. I have tried all of the suggestions posted here, and it still has not fixed my issue. My debugger button just says "Start". I do seem to have Unity specific intelliSense. However, if I right click as I have seen some do there is supposed to be an option to implement some Unity specific methods, and I am not seeing that option either.

I have uninstalled Unity and Visual Studio and reinstalled them several times without any real result. Also when installing Visual Studio Community 2017, I only select the to install Game Development with Unity option, everything else is default.

I have set Visual Studio 2017 Community as my default external editor in Unity preferences. I also have "Create Visual Studio Solution" and "Development Build" selected in the build settings.

I have no idea what else to do... I am able to attach the debugger through the debug menu. However, doing this over and over becomes cumbersome and inconvenient when you have to do it so many times.

Current Unity Build Version: 2018.3.0f2

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017
    Version 15.9.5
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.9.5+28307.280
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.03190
    Installed Version: Community
    C# Tools 2.10.0-beta2-63501-03+b9fb1610c87cccc8ceb74a770dba261a58e39c4a
    C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.
    NuGet Package Manager 4.6.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.
    ProjectServicesPackage Extension 1.0
    ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info
    Visual Basic Tools 2.10.0-beta2-63501-03+b9fb1610c87cccc8ceb74a770dba261a58e39c4a
    Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.
    Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package 1.0
    Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity 3.9.0.3
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity

Any help will be much appreciated!

14. sonicsquirrel9999

sonicsquirrel9999

Same problem here. Odd thing is, when at first I am starting up VS, as it is loading I can see the Attach to Unity button. However when it finishes loading, the button is replaced by the Start button. Not sure what's going on...

15. furkan59

furkan59

may be some updates make this error. Same thing happens to me today. I am using vs 2019 for unity. Tools for unity is installed. But I can not see attach to unity button.

16. furkan59

furkan59

I have vs 2019 and vs 2017 both could this be a reason for this ?

17. furkan59

furkan59

I have deleted vs 2017 and problem still exists

I have tried deleting vs tools for unity for 2019 and reinstall it. Still not solved.

18. furkan59

furkan59

19. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Thanks for posting what solved it for you! :)

20. x421

x421

removing the (hidden) .vs folder from my unity-project-folder finally resolved this problem for me :)

kasuyakema, nyizhar and MD_Reptile like this.
  21. EVART

EVART

frite333 and bhallion like this.
  22. Bakhtiyargill

Bakhtiyargill

My VS2019 Tools for Unity was disabled by performance manager. These tools caused visual studio to be unresponsive. That's why performance manager disabled it . I enabled it and this worked for me

23. bhallion

bhallion

Annotation 2020-02-18 114719.png

24. Chrisc2600

Chrisc2600

My VS2019 was missing the attach to Unity as well. Here's how i fixed it.

The Attach Unity Debugger will not show up unless you have installed the "Game Development with Unity" addon by going to youre menu item Tools / Get Tools and Features. From the Visual Studio Installer under workloads you'll see the option to turn on 'Game Development with Unity'. May take a few minutes to install.

you can all so open the Visual Studio Installer separately and select modify from the installer which will bring up the above dialog.

Once installed you should see the Attach to Unity under the Debug menu.

25. andreapomposelli

andreapomposelli

In case you still have an issue, this should automatically fix potentially issue on the project :
    Preference > External Tool > Regenerate project file

upload_2020-5-23_23-49-51.png

26. favoritjj

favoritjj

27. amcakebread

amcakebread

worked for me - thanks

CaptainNoah and kevomara like this.
  28. pablolluchr

pablolluchr

This solved it for me!

29. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Yep, same here. Weird that this was literally fine yesterday.

30. unity_Cz2KQCPxNfDI3g

unity_Cz2KQCPxNfDI3g

You're a hero.. Thanks xD

IndieMarc, CaptainNoah and kevomara like this.
  31. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

For others who might come this way: Intellisense was helping with Unity classes (listing methods when I typed a class name or variable of a class type), but not with private methods. So "void OnM" wasn't prompting me with a list including things like "OnMouseDown." As it happened, I did not have Visual Studio Tools for Unity installed, so I added that with the Visual Studio Installer.

That's when everything went wrong.

First up, upon next opening of Visual Studio, it complained that I was lacking some kind of reference to System.Void, and about a hundred other errors I'd never seen before. I tried "Regenerate project files" and that made things worse. My errors remained, but upon next opening of Visual Studio, it added eleven more projects to my solution, one for every package in the "Packages" folder in my Unity project, and three more (not sure where from). I fussed with this for a couple of hours, including using Visual Studio Installer's "repair" option. No help.

A complete uninstall and then reinstall of Visual Studio, with the Visual Studio Tools for Unity included, fixed all problems.

Using Visual Studio Community 2017 and Unity 2019.4.7.

32. Simpowitch

Simpowitch

This happens every month for me, seemlingly randomly the "attach to unity" disappears in projects and versions of unity that worked the day before. Has happened for me for 2 years now in different versions of both unity and visual studio. A more permanent solution is needed. I can change "external script editor" in preferences to something else and then back to visual studio and it will fix itself, but only until next month or so.

33. kasuyakema

kasuyakema

That solved it, thanks

34. urbiman

urbiman

It seems there are also issues in case you are using directory links. Moving the scripts out of the linked directory did solve the issue in my case.

35. V1adosK

V1adosK

The only solution for me was: Assets -> Open C# Project
    And only after this action the button "Start" was changed to "Attach to Unity" and also the correct markup

DevJaydee and DiegoWw like this.
  36. Maark7

Maark7

Thanks it worked for me

37. Khoray

Khoray

After I deleted the following files/folder and then re-open the project the my problem was solved.

.vs folder (this folder is hidden)
    .csproj files
    .sln file

38. rishitsood

rishitsood

Thanks a lot this works for me

39. metroidsnes

metroidsnes

I'm not sure if it wasn't mentioned before but one reason for this problem to happen ("Attach to Unity" button replaced with "Start") is a mismatch between VS and Unity versions. I was using Unity 2018.2.14 with VS 2019. Changing to VS 2017 fixed the issue.

40. pjbaron

pjbaron

This attach button changes to Start as VS2019 loads happens to me quite frequently with Unity 2020.1.17f1 and VS2019 fully patched and with Unity Tools installed (of course).

Many of the above solutions did not work for me. What finally did work is deleting just the .sln file and letting Unity/VS Studio rebuild it.

Other things I tried previously that did not work:
    - set Unity build settings to 'development' and reselect the external editor
    - delete the hidden .vs folder
    - delete the .vsconfig file

I believe that changing VS version is just doing the same thing but will take a lot longer so I hope this suggestion helps others get going again quickly when hit by this incredibly annoying problem.

I didn't try 'regenerate project file' before I found my own solution (or, in this case, deleted it ;) ) but I wonder if that is also a better way of forcing a refresh of the .sln file.

41. eddyb

eddyb

This worked for me, thanks! (Quick & easy solution too.)

42. ayresjeremiah

ayresjeremiah

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

43. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

@ndreapomposelli 's solution worked for me, thanks a bunch !

44. rrtenz

rrtenz

This worked for me (I'm on a MacBook):

Go to Run -> Attach to Process
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 11.38.33 AM.png

Then I saw my Debugger had been switched to ".Net Core Debugger" so I switched it to "Unity Debugger".
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 11.38.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 11.38.50 AM.png

Then I had the option to connect to "Unity Editor" (I think you have to have the app running in Unity first). Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 11.38.56 AM.png

Attached Files:

45. DevJaydee

DevJaydee

Bump, This solution works for VS2022

46. flexprods01

flexprods01

This worked for me. my issue was that i did not have VS selected in External tools

47. anilreddy1353

anilreddy1353

Thanks, it's Helpful.