Search Unity

Can't save RPG Project because Editor doesn't recognise that I'm in the Assets folder.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MatthewShiers, Oct 20, 2019.

1. MatthewShiers

MatthewShiers

Primary Problem:
    I'm attempting to complete the "Creator Kit: RPG" project as part of my course training with Upskilled, but I can't seem to save my project as directed at Step 2.6.
    Each time I try, I get the following error message:

"The scene needs to be saved inside the Assets folder of your project."

This is exactly what I'm doing. Ctrl + S automatically puts me in the Assets folder, showing 4 sub-folders titled "Creator Kit - RPG", "Gizmos", "TextMesh Pro" and "TutorialInfo". The full directory path for the newly-downloaded project is:

C:\Users\Matthew Shiers\AppData\Local\Temp\9fb1664147e746145901aaf0c1509553\Assets

Capture.PNG

I'm working with Unity 2019.2.9f1 Personal, following the instructions for "Creator Kit: RPG".
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the Unity Hub and the Editor. This has not fixed the issue in any way.

If anyone knows what I need to do in order to save my work and continue with the tutorial, please let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to fail my course because of an issue with something as fundamental as saving my work.

Secondary problem:
    It's also worth noting that this default directory is located on my C drive, but the Unity Hub and Editor were both installed on my E drive (due to C running out of space). I don't know how to change the directory to somewhere in E, but if anyone can tell me how, that would save me from running into problems later.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You should not store your projects in AppData folder.
    At most in Documents/Unit or relevant.
    Preferably perhaps creating Unity projects folder on your E drive.
    And create online repository.

Providing Locate button works correctly, here is where installations are put in
    upload_2019-10-20_17-9-3.png

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity creates temporary files in the background while it's running. What you're seeing aren't your project files but rather the temp files that it has created. You need to locate the actual project files. If you don't specify a custom folder Unity will save your project to your personal documents folder (for Windows 10 that would be C:\Users\Matthew Shiers\Documents).

By the way some applications (I don't know if this is the case with Unity Hub but it wouldn't surprise me if it were) can't handle being installed on a drive other than C and will cause problems if you try to do it. Unity project files can be saved wherever you specify though.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

It happens to me spread twice, when Unity Hub installed Unity in wrong directory. I haven't changed that particular local path. But I changed project path. Somehow it was intertwined. I would be very careful at each installation, where local directory points into.

5. MatthewShiers

MatthewShiers

The installations aren't the problem. The directory for the Project files is the issue.

How do I set up downloaded tutorial projects, such at Creator Kit: RPG so that they are downloaded to a folder on my E drive instead of a Temp folder in App Data on C?

Edit: Do I have to manually copy the whole Assets folder from that Temp folder to where I actually want it? With every Creator Kit project I download?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. grantmcme

grantmcme

I am having the same problem. This is causing a huge headache.

7. adamc03

adamc03

Has anybody found a fix for this

phil_olo and Rosin_EJ like this.
  8. phil_olo

phil_olo

same here. but found a fix:
    • just close the project
    • unity will ask you if you want to keep or forget the project
    • choose "keep", then select a folder to save it to and give the project a name
    • unity will save it and closes
    • open the project again - continue
    I didn't try it but I actually think it's a documentation error.
    There's also an option to "Save Project" under the file menu. This is doing probably what is expected. The default shortcut CTRL+S links just to "Save", which is for sure just trying to save the currently selected Scene, causing this error.

9. adamc03

adamc03

Yes, I have found that solution works, you'll just need to make sure it doesn't save in the TEMP folder on your computer.

10. CSBGaming

CSBGaming

Thanks so much for this, was doing the same starter course beforehand and managed to get through it without this, but this should be a good fix for the time being. Who would have known something would be useful 1 1/4 years after it was posted?

Also, I found it useful to set up a folder under which one could put their games etc. because otherwise they may end up losing track of where it was. Also, I do not know if I am just being stupid but there is no way for me to access AppData folders regarding Unity on my PC. Any problem with that?

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah, I always create a folder on the root of my drive called MyProjects, and put all projects in there. Keeps things organized.

As for AppData, it is a hidden folder. Either enable viewing hidden folders or just type the full path directly into the address bar. You can also get there via command line, and open the file manager from there too.

Code (csharp):
    1. cd \
    2. cd Users
    3. cd MyUsername   (replace with the name of your user's folder)
    4. cd AppData
    5. explorer .   (this is how you can open the file manager from the command line in the current directory, I've always found it extremely helpful to remember how)