Search Unity

cant record simple 2d animations with more than 1 body part

Discussion in '2D' started by droden, Apr 6, 2019.

1. droden

droden

i have a simple character with a body head 2 arms and 2 legs. i can create a new animation and hit record and as long as i only select 1 body part (either by the hierarchy or through the scene view) Unity records it correctly. as soon as i click on the next part i want to record a different body part (right leg moving instead of left) to animation the recording stops. why isnt this working? How to i record multiple body parts correctly?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Rockaso

Rockaso

Select all the parts you want to animate on the hierarchy at the same time using SHIFT, then all parts should appear on the window below, let me know if it works

3. Rockaso

Rockaso

Btw animate using the animation window now scene view

4. droden

droden

none of the parts down appear in the animation window property pane until i click on them in the scene view. if i select different parts from the heirachy while recording the recording stops. if i select different parts while in the scene view the recording stops. selecting the parts i want via shift does not do anything. nothing appears in the animation window add property pane. the animation window just shows the time line. how am i supposed to animate with that? the scene views allows me to move the object so the rotation / translation / scale is picked up for that frame in the animation time line... i know im not supposed to animate from the root object so the player object is just an empty game object. the tutorial im watching is 2018.1.8f so its recent and he doesnt do shift click he just grabs the part from the scene view and it gets picked up in the animation window for the frame selected.

5. Rockaso

Rockaso

Ok, before selecting another gameobject while recording, at the Animation window, clic the lock button on the Animation window, it's in the top right corner,

Does it help?

6. droden

droden

no it still stops the recording. when i select the other part even if i lock it the recording stops. is there a tutorial for this for 2d? i dont want a bone system or 3d just animating a simple 2d set of sprites in the shape of a thing. the one im trying to follow is https://www.udemy.com/creating-a-cool-2d-action-game-in-unity/learn/v4/t/lecture/12442262?start=0 and the process looks very simple but i cannot get it to work. im using the same hierarchy and even the same sprites.

7. Rockaso

Rockaso

Ok I went to create an empty new 2D project.
    The workflow to be able to record multiple objects in your animation would be as follows:
    1. Open the animation window
    2. Create a new animation clip
    3. Add the gameobjects' transform-> position/scale (depending in what you are recording move/scale using mouse) to the animation (The objects must be childs of the same parent on the highest hierarchy)
    4. Press record, and start moving the desired object,
      IMPORTANT note! Don't select another gameobject by using the hierarchy, but rather by selecting it using the Animation Window!!!

:)

8. droden

droden

i can add both legs as properties if i select their parent and individually add them via the add property button parent -> leg leg and parent -> right leg but this seems extremely tedious. even then i still cannot select individually to move vial the scene view as im recording so i cant make adjustments even if i use the position in the animation window to select the object and not select them via the scene view or heirarchy. so how do i even move them this way? i appreciate you help!

9. droden

droden

do you have a video or tutorial i can follow that works and explains all the settings / keys i need to hit so i can make this work? it seems like a core feature and im probably just missing a shift or alt select somewhere...sigh.

10. droden

droden

here is a similar idea on youtube its the same author of the udemy toturial.

11. droden

droden

i still cant get it to work even with this tutorial. it should work just by clicking on the part at the time you want the position or rotation to change. argh!

12. Rockaso

Rockaso

What version of Unity are you using?
    I have 2018 the latest of thar year

I will record one video soon and come back

13. droden

droden

i have the latest 2019 beta. previously i was using the most recent version of 2018. the video above was 2018

14. Rockaso

Rockaso

Download 2018, maybe it's a bug,
    2018 the newest includes prefabs and most of the new 2D stuff

You can do so by downloading Unity HUB and downloading the 2018 3f I think

15. droden

droden

i have 2018 as well. earlier in the post I was trying it with Unity 2018.3.11f1 (64-bit)

16. Rockaso

Rockaso

I recorded a video for you
    I forgot to record the cursor, please note that at the end where you select the game objects to record, you don't select them at the hierarchy but at the ANIMATION window, that will make them get selected on the Hierarchy view automatically so you will be able to manipulate the game objects at the Scene view

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. droden

droden

ill give this a shot tonight thanks! it still bothers me i cant do it like the other tutorials. having to add things via the property pane rather than it automatically being added when you click on it in the scene view seems like its poorly designed.

18. Rockaso

Rockaso

There is a good reason for it though (adding properties to to an animation before modifying them that is).
    Doing this forces you to understand how properties inside a Animation works, you can animate without recording and by adding keys and editing values directly into the animation window.

Regards

19. droden

droden

dude i hate this so much it should be simple to select a part move it , next frame, rinse and repeat. ahhhhh. i did what you did but when i select the part in the animation pane and it doesnt set the focus in the scene view nor does it allow me to select it any other way without cancelling the recording

20. droden

droden

i figured it out. for some reason i had created animations off other parts as the "root" and they had animator components attached to them. you only want to do this once for the root object and then you can hit record and select via the hierarchy or the scene view by clicking any part below the root and it will auto add whatever property you modify to the property pane.

bmaxatron likes this.
  21. Rockaso

Rockaso

Cool, hard to catch off without looking at your actions, if you watch the video I recorded for you, I selected a child object, realized I did, then canceled the save animation dialogue, and went back to select the root object prior clicing on new animation, and since I created the gameobjects from scratch, they had no components.

That's why it's important to follow up steps in an strict way when issues are reocurring.

Regards