Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't play animation, am i missing something?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Oshigawa, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Hello,

i'm having some really simple animations out of spritesheets for my simple 2D game (i don't need mecanim), but i can't make them play. I googled around and found no answer.

I made an animation from dragging and dropping the sprites, enabled legacy, but it doesn't play. I tried creating a new animation and then using powersprite animator to insert single sprites from the spritesheet, checked legacy, but nothing. Tried all the wrap modes, lenghtening and shortening the clip, nothing.

The thing that's also suspicious is that i can't play animation in the animation window. I'm using playmaker, but the states and actions are ok, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

The animation on the object.

Any help is appreciated, i'm going out of my mind.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Too many variables in the project to attempt a guess.
    Try playing the sprite animation in a brand new project - without all the extra stuff - in order to deduce what is causing the issue. If the animation does not play in a new project - you know the reason is something in the sprite set up process.

3. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

I made a new project, sliced the spritesheet, dragged and dropped it and it automatically creates the animation and the animator component on the object in the scene. When i hit play, it loops, as set in the animation clip with checked loop time.

Then i mark the animation as legacy, put the animation component on the object, put the animation in the appropriate box, add the play animation FSM, choose the animation and nothing happens. I tried deleting the animator from the object, nothing.

All the tutorials on animations are some mumbo-jumbo let's animate the player walking and shooting and let's attach that to a character controller and play around in mecanim, i really don't need that, just PLAY ANIMATION, STOP.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    remyb likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sorry - I don't use the legacy system so I can't assist here.
    You can also control this with generic and mecanim through playmaker.

5. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Yeah, in the end i used the animator. It feels like using a nuclear reactor to make a cup of coffee.

6. Ketneten

Ketneten

Hi, I know it's an old thread, but the problem hasnt been solved and I am having trouble with it. I also use the playmaker. I use a simple "play animation" command. Animator existing, animations rooted to the gameobject. In playmaker debug console it says "missing animation". I am not so experienced with Unity. Maybe I overlooked something. Please help.

7. Greviouss

Greviouss

in Unity 2019.1.14f1 :
    I had experienced this problem enough that i ended up here.
    I solved this seemingly while sitting here by ensuring to create new animations from within the animation window using the create new animation options.
    With the animation window open select a game object and if no animation exists on that object create a new animation using the button on the right side of the animation window.
    You can add additional animations through the animation array list in the upper left below the "preview" text and record buttons.

and ..... NO OTHER WAY - doing this any other way seems to break the animation array list?
    This includes :
    do not generate new animations from the top menu
    do not generate new animations from the context menu
    do not generate new animations from any addon that generates a new animation for you -see step one and then let the addon index the animation

8. Greviouss

Greviouss

also - if you have animations that were created not in this way i think you have to remove them form your project or delete them and start again :mad: