Search Unity

Can't open my scene in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeilyFan124, Mar 26, 2021.

1. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

2 nights ago I saved my Unity Project and shut down my computer. The next day I couldn't open my main scene. I tried reimporting the scene, that didn't work, I tried deleting the Unity Lock File, which I found the other forums post said to do to fix this. None of these solutions worked. Is there a solution I am just not finding?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does "couldn't open my main scene" and "that didn't work" mean exactly? Are you receiving a specific error message? If so, what is the exact error message? Do you have any errors in the console? Also, check the editor log file as to what it reports when you try to open the scene.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

3. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

My main scene is the scene I have everything I worked on in the past year. My NPCs, my player character, my Map. Everything Screenshot (94).png Screenshot (95).png It justs opens another window with the unity icon with a red exclamation mark and says an unknown error has occurred. and then closes the window afterward.
    EDIT: All I have to do to make this error occur is Double click the scene Game to open the scene.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does the editor log say happened? That's the first place to look if you encounter an editor crash.

5. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

A lot of the error file says : ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF6E59B8552)
    Does this help at all?

6. altepTest

altepTest

What did you do before closing the editor last time it worked, did you edited a script perhaps?

7. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

I just was moving some 3d models around, that's what I remember doing before saving and closing the program. No editing scripts I can assure that.

8. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

I don't know if this will help, but I found this in the Editor file in the latest crash folder

"Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
    a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
    used by your application."

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you create a new empty project, are you able to open that project? This test will help to narrow it down whether the issue is with your project or not. If the issue is isolated to just your project, you could try deleting its library folder, which the next time Unity goes to open it will be automatically regenerated.

The library folder holds a lot of files Unity generates for your project. It saves them there so it doesn't have to regenerate them every time you open the project, which can be a time consuming process. But the folder can safely be deleted. If something is corrupted in the library folder it can cause a wide variety of project issues.

10. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

The new project opens fine and when I load the old project, it justs opens a new scene, but when I try to open my main scene, it then crashes. I will try deleting the library folder and see if that works.

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If the problem is just with the 1 scene, and isn't related to the library folder, the usual way to resolve this kind of issue is using your source control system or your latest backup. If you're not using either, you may need to recreate the scene from scratch.

12. JeilyFan124

JeilyFan124

Yeah, Deleting the Library Folder didn't work. Thanks anyway for your help.