Search Unity

Can't open existing projects, Editor log file suddenly 50GB.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Koak, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Koak

Koak

Hi,

As of yesterday I can't open existing projects from Unity Hub anymore. I don't remember doing anything that might have broken it since the day before, when it was still working.

Unity Hub version: 2.3.0
    Unity Editor version: 2019.3.6f1

When I try to open an existing project it shows the editor's splash screen, and then reopens the Hub. It also displays a message in Unity Hub for a split second, reading: "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version". The editor process runs (not responding) in the background for a little bit before shutting down.

The weird thing is creating a new project works fine, but after closing the Editor I can't reopen it. Even importing everything from my project into a new project while running works fine.

While looking for a solution I realized my SSD had 0 bytes available. I knew that couldn't be right, so upon inspection I found a 47.5GB Editor.log file. I didn't think opening it was a good idea so I just deleted the file. After deleting this file the new .log files were a lot smaller.

upm.log after trying to open an existing project:
    Editor.log after trying to open an existing project:
    I've tried:
    1. Running the editor without Unity Hub (just opens the Hub again).
    2. Reinstalling the Hub and the Editor.
    3. Logging out and back in on Unity Hub.
    4. Returning my license and activating a new one (automatically and manually).
    5. Turning AV & firewall off
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Simon

EDIT:
    So it seems the log file was something entirely different and had to do with VPN software (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-creating-huge-editor-log-file.613600/page-2) I found out I can open projects in the editor using a batch file. Which is a lot better than nothing.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

So just to make sure I understand correctly... despite deleting the massive log file, projects are still not opening? Are you completely removing it from the Recycle Bin? I'm starting to think the drive having no space may be the cause but I just want to make sure the log file is fully being removed?

Regarding the log file being so large, it's something on our radar and being discussed in https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-creating-huge-editor-log-file.613600/

3. Koak

Koak

You understood me correctly, I shift-deleted the log file. I'll take a look at the thread you linked.

4. Koak

Koak

In the thread you linked people seem to think it might have something to do with VPN software. And now that I'm thinking about it, I did open up Windscribe VPN at some point while importing assets into a new project. So it might have been downloading packages while I connected to the VPN. However, this took place after I already couldn't open projects. Now I'm thinking that the log file might not have anything to do with me being able to open projects.

I'm a little hesitant to try and replicate the log file problem since my SSD has to last me at least a couple more years.

5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

How long have you had it for? The last I checked, SSD's seem to only run dry quicker if you're like, defragging it every day (which you shouldn't do in the first place :p)