Search Unity

Can't open Build Settings

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JoeTheGG, Aug 18, 2016.

1. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

Hey everyone, I am currently experiencing a very strange bug where I can't open the build settings.

File->Build Settings does nothing, Ctrl+Shift+B does nothing.

I have restarted my computer, reinstalled unity, tried old and brand new projects.

Do I have a problem with my build setting? Or possibly build path??

2. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

Ahh, it does seem like it's a path problem. I reinstalled and this is the first thing that popped up. I must have cleared it quickly first time.

Edit: Currently Unity is installed into C:\Program Files, so I am not sure why the error points to my E:\ drive. However, I had 5.4 installed there previously, and when the error first occurred I uninstalled Unity from the E:\ drive and reinstalled it to my C:\ drive.

Also, I have 5.3.4 still installed on my E:\ drive, it has a different file path though, so maybe that is causing some conflict?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Hmm... this is a bit odd. Those paths are generated from what Windows returns as the path of the Unity executable. The E:\Unity\Editor part of those paths is coming directly from the OS.

It's difficult to say, but it sounds like you're still running the executable from the E:\ drive, but many of the files that are expected to sit next to the executable are missing (an incomplete uninstall maybe?). Or Windows is very confused.

4. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

I got rid of the errors by deleting my AppData directory and having Unity recreate after both reload and reinstall. However both Build Settings and Build & Run are still unresponsive when I click them or try the keybind shortcuts.

5. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

I just tried uninstalling, deleting all of my registry files for Unity, reinstalling, and still nothing. However now when I load the editor I get this error:

<ri.Hid> Failed to create device file:
    2 The system cannot find the file specified.

I am able clear the error and run the game fine in the editor, but I can't still unable to create builds or open build settings.

Attached Files:

6. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

I can verify that 5.3.4 still does not open build settings. I tried a fresh install today after deleting the registry files

7. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Do you have any errors in the console or editor.log when you try to open the build settings window?

8. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

Nope, it is just completely unresponsive. Only for build settings and Build & Run though.

9. chechoggomez

chechoggomez

Unity Technologies

@jough, You say Unity is not opening the build settings window when you try to open it, right?
    Just in case, have you checked if the build settings window is out of the monitor's screen space, this has happened to me several times after working with an extra monitor.

10. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

I don't believe so, is there someway to reset it?

11. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

I was having this issue, and the way I reset it was to choose from the default Editor Layout templates at the top right of the editor. I chose one, and then my build settings window opened in view the next time I tried.

aad-acc, Avivyouker, SamK90 and 19 others like this.
  12. mbianchini

mbianchini

Thank you so much! I had a friend of mine with that problem for ages and I couldn't find the solution! It worked and now he can make builds too!

Dleon0920 and LiterallyJeff like this.
  13. lukicamukica

lukicamukica

Thanks a lot ma man! I can build again thanks to you woohoo

LiterallyJeff likes this.
  14. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

Thanks man

LiterallyJeff likes this.
  15. Dr_Fez

Dr_Fez

Thank you so much my problem was it was on a different screen many thanks

16. GSD248

GSD248

I have the same problem. Build settings won't open, and I can't build and I'm not a computer genius so can someone tell me what to click step by step? Thank you.

17. GSD248

GSD248

Oh ok I understand now and it worked for me thanks.

18. Dleon0920

Dleon0920

This just worked for me!!

I was going crazy doing reinstalls of unity :'v

Also, left a screenshot for new versions C:

For future developers, I hope this solves your problem for Build Settings not opening.

Attached Files:

19. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Resetting the UI layout fixed the problem temporarily. After 5 minutes Inspector view doesn't update anymore. Opening a new inspector tab shows the options of the selected project/hierarchy file, but as soon as I click another object it doesn't update again. UI doesn't update anymore. Using 2019.4.14f1 and the same problem on other unity version. There is something in the system.

MrJohnWeez and samuelmorais like this.
  20. jRocket

jRocket

I just encountered this. Four years later, and this bug still exists. :(

21. Bhujanga

Bhujanga

Just ran into the same problem and resetting the layout to default solved it! Thumps up!

syzo333 and MrJohnWeez like this.
  22. Dust999Games

Dust999Games

Resetting the layout to default solve my problem. Thanks!