Search Unity

Cant move object to exact position

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Wehaga, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Wehaga

Wehaga

I have a coroutine I'm firing when I hit a button, that would want to imitate the button being pressed then moved back to its original position

Code (CSharp):
    1.     IEnumerator ButtonPress(Transform objectHit)
    2.     {
    3.         Vector3 originalPosition = objectHit.localPosition;
    5.         float percent = 0f;
    7.         while (percent <= 1f)
    8.         {
    9.             percent += Time.deltaTime * 1f;
    10.             float interpolation = 2f * (-Mathf.Pow(percent, 2) + percent);
    11.             objectHit.localPosition = Vector3.Lerp(originalPosition, new Vector3(objectHit.localPosition.x, objectHit.localPosition.y, objectHit.localPosition.z + 0.02f), interpolation);
    13.             yield return null;
    14.         }
    15.     }
    Now it does work alright, however it doesn't return to the exact position it originated from at the end. Even if I explicitly give it something like:

objectHit.localPosition = originalPosition;

after the while loop

How can I make sure that it goes back, so no matter if a user just mashes on the button clicking a 100 times, the button will stay where it was?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

Get the position on
    Start()
    and set it to that position every time.

Also, instead of using a coroutine to do this, why not just press it inside of OnPointerDown and depress it in OnPointerUp?

Wehaga likes this.
  3. Wehaga

Wehaga

Thanks a lot! Getting the position in Start() did solve my issue. Though I'm wondering why? Both solutions fetch the position before any modifications were done to it

With OnPointerDown/Up, how would I control the speed of the button press? If the user just clicks without holding the button down, wouldn't it just make the there and back movement really fast? If I make the press-in say 0.5 seconds and they release the button before that, would it just cut the movement and start going back?

thanks again!

4. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

My guess here is because of floating point precision, I won't go into detail here though since that's quite a deep rabbit hole.

Ah, okay, ignore what I said then. I didn't realize you were explicitly trying to have it timed instead of just when they click.

Wehaga likes this.