Search Unity

Question Can't move character after duplicated it on a new scene?

Discussion in '2D' started by raining_day0513, Oct 22, 2020.

1. raining_day0513

raining_day0513

I want to make a new scene from the current scene, and I just created one and copy-pasted(cmd+c, v):

1. The character(hero)
    2. The grid
    3. The canvas

after that I also did "Removed Scene" to the scene that I copied from, so it was not shown on the scene tab anymore --- (1).
    After finished so, I clicked the play button and the game acted strangely that:

1. When I pressed <left arrow>, <right arrow>, <down arrow>, <up arrow> on my keyboard, the character cannot move, only heard a "Dung" (warning?) sound. Why?
    2. If I revert the step --- (1) above, then two duplicate characters shown in the scene (overlapped I think), can move. Why?

And I did try to duplicate this problem on another computer(package manager checked, script attached to the character checked, all the same), but no problem occurred. Why?

The Unity version I'm using is 2020.1.8f1.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Have you tried copying the Scene itself, then removing those gameobjects you don't want? That way you're not manually copying things, perhaps forgetting something. Does that work?

raining_day0513 likes this.
  3. webox

webox

A few things,
    1. What you did should work if no other scripts/scene objects are involved in making the character move
    2. Were you using the mac version? it could be a bug of that version
    3. But, why were you copy-pasting the character? it could be better to save the character as a prefab and just reuse it on the other scene
    4. As mentioned above, you can also duplicate the scene and start working from there
    cheers!

4. raining_day0513

raining_day0513

Thanks for your help first, and regarding:

1. Yes, It works on another mac(I have tested it on my friend's computer, I did the same and it works on that computer, not mine.)
    2. I haven't checked, I will reply you later.
    3. I'm new to Unity, thanks for the idea about best practice. :)
    4. Yes, I will try it, thank you!

happy day~

webox likes this.
  5. webox

webox

Awesome! Yes take a look into prefabs You'll use them a lot, it's one of the most core parts of unity