Search Unity

cant lower terrain?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Uniity_live, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Uniity_live

Uniity_live

So yeah, like the title says I cant lower terrain.

Technically I can lower the terrain but I cant past a certain point if that makes sense.

(I changed the height prior to this) after I tried making a hole I changed the height again to see if it really did anything, and the hole got deeper, so that tells me I got all the settings right for the most part

I tried making another hole beside that one ( I did'nt changed the height) and once again it would'nt let me lower it past that point.

i just got this program yesterday so I don't really wanna take the easy route and just make the holes prior to re-changing the height as I'm trying to lean and would like to know how to fix the problem later on

sorry if this doesn't make sense!

2. dudester

dudester

heightmap based terrain can only go so low , heightmaps are based on a greyscale map with colors from 0 to 255:Edit (actually as kurt pointed out its a float from 0.0 to 1.0 my mistake ) if I recall correctly , so you've hit 0 on the heightmap meaning thats the bottom of the terrain , just make everything else higher so that the terrain can go lower.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

As dudester observes above, there's a limit in the range. It's actually a floating point number from 0.0f to 1.0f.

If you look at my grenade terrain damager demo you can see a little runtime script that:

a) copies the Terrain
    b) lifts it all up X units
    c) lowers the main Terrain GameObject down so it matches

This lets me smash craters into the ground even if the ground was completely at its bottom when designed.

It also keeps me from damaging my project terrain when in the editor. Full source code linked in comments.

4. dudester

dudester

ah yes my mistake , but thats awesome!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.