Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't lightmap, can't release.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by mariejuku, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mariejuku

mariejuku

So we basically cannot lightmap any of our scenes with the new system using Enlighten. We've tried several different system setups and had several different people attempt the job, and enlighten will simply hang in the middle of the job, usually at bake indirect. http://prntscr.com/8152ad We've left it for days; it never completes. This has been repeated on several different systems. We've tried breaking up our models into smaller chunks to lessen the load, without results. It just doesn't work.

We were planning to release in September before this new system was added. Now, I'm not sure what we'll do. Right now, we are simply unable to final the game.

Unity Technologies: got any suggestions?

TanselAltinel likes this.
  2. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Don't mean to advertise my post but my request for a simpler bake would solve these sorts of issues. And as I found out (in said post), blending between realtime and baked is no longer possible. Essentially this means is does us no good to bake only some objects (which would lessen the bake time) because if baked objects have to cast shadows on realtime objects (or vice versa) you're out of luck there.

I think of lot of us need a different solution to lighting, yet the devs are busy bees trying to squash the bugs in Enlighten. That said, here are some things you can try that might make baking faster (and a little more managable)
    • Lower indirect resolution. Found out that the devs recommend insanely low values for outdoor scenes ex: .01, or even .0001
    • Lower direct resolution. No brainer
    • Don't use Ambient Occlusion. Cool object intersections are not worth 10 hours of bake time... only to realize you need to change one object and bake again.
    And finally, not really a bake tip... But as I found out in the post above, the realtime calculations have been improved. So susposedly you can just crank that value up to a longer distance. As someone that wants the most optimization for my game however, you can see why I'm weary about this. I don't need realtime distances to cover up what should be baked in my scene. And I want users to be able to tweak their realtime shadow distance as low as they need. (Which would be very bad without baked shadows to fallback on) Hopefully something changes in the lighting department... because I'm finding these issues may hold back my release as well :(

Pawige likes this.
  3. mariejuku

mariejuku

Yeah, a lot of these are workarounds, I really would like the original problem addressed so we can use this Fantastic New System© the way it was intended. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. ATM we're going to try and set up a backup lighting system that's all realtime. I'm wary of this...

4. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

5. eco_bach

eco_bach

You've probably tried this but try using Precomputer Realtime GI only with a Texel resolution of 0.5. If it works at least you know it is directly related to the Baked GI pipeline.

6. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

I know it all too well. Dual lightmaps is a MUST for my game.
    Doesn't that still require a precomputation? (Though I guess it would still be different from Baked)
    Just reading through all the complaints is enough to turn people away! I'm sure most people's repositories exceed 1GB (Mine does at least) and if your scene is large enough to cause problems from long bake times, then you can expect the repository to be over 1GB--which means paying for Pro service. Plus you'd apparently have to wait 60 mins between bakes to get a new one anyways. (Though it would still be faster than the days we have to wait for Enlighten to finish)

Either way, if we get dual lightmaps back I'd be happy. An option for a simple bake would be nice too--if I don't need GI then it doesn't make sense for me to have to wait 4x longer than a Beast build. That or... the Unity devs need to find a way to decrease the bake times. (Or perhaps longer bake times are part of their secret plot to get everyone using could build!!! :p ) Whatever the reason is, I hope a Unity Dev come to our aid we can get some sort of response to these issues.

7. Teo

Teo

@dreadofmondays,

We don't have any details about your problem.

Are you using ONLY baked GI? You have precomputed GI disable? You use both? Did you tried to clear GI cache and start over? Are you doing auto build? Can you post some screens with stats details? Can you post some screens with lights and lighting setup?

I am sure will be some one to can help you.

EDIT: Almost forgot, put GI cache size to max, 100GB. Default size is far from enough.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015