Search Unity

can't import maya assets with Mac version

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DDDiscover, Mar 5, 2014.

1. DDDiscover

DDDiscover

Hi

I'm running Unity 4.3.4 on a Mac. I can not import maya .ma files. It does not recognise the .ma files as valid maya files.
    Now I read on this forum that one need to have Maya on the Mac (which is a strange requirement).
    And a work around would be to import .fbx file instead. The .fbx file is recognised, but when move it into the scene I do not see any object.
    It shows up in the Hierarchy view however (in blue text). The translate arrows are drawn in the Scene view, but no object mesh is visible.
    What could be wrong?

2. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Firstly, it is not a strange requirement; to open the .ma file Maya is needed. It's not an open format.

Now to your question regarding the FBX.
    First, make sure the fbx isn't empty. Look inside the project view, and click on the FBX there. Does it show up in Preview? If nothing shows up in preview, it might very well be empty. Check the file size, if it's really small then it most likely is empty.
    Now, if you see something in the preview, add it to the scene again and then select it and press "F" on the keyboard. It might be that the object is really really small, or really really big. Or the pivot might be messed up and the object is far, far away.

3. DDDiscover

DDDiscover

You where right! It was very very very small. Thanks.