Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Import Blender to Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by BOBBI3-B, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BOBBI3-B

BOBBI3-B

Dear Sirs
    I am using Blender to make 3d models but I am having trouble with impoting the model to unity it appears in my project but when Im in-game the model won't appear any ideas of what the problem is?

Sincerly
    Bob Roberts

2. richardh

richardh

While in Blender, just same your model as a .blend file in the Assets folder of your Unity project. Then open Unity and it will automatically import. Best to create a folder within your Unity project's Assets folder (called something like 'Models' and save all your .blends to that folder. To get your textures to import and show on your models you should save the textures in another folder (maybe called 'Textures') again within the Assets folder of your project.

There is no need to convert Blender models to say fbx if they are static (none animated) models. Just save them as .blends

3. richardh

richardh

Oh also, if the model IS showing in your Unity project but doesn't show when you click 'Play', you need to uncheck the 'Animation' box within your model's Inspector panel.

4. Frigo1706

Frigo1706

Hello BOBBI3 B,
    Did you found a solution for your problem? I have the same problem and i have no idea how to fix this.

Thanks in advance
    Frigo

5. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Sometimes the models are very small when imported into Unity, and if the camera is too close you can't see them because they're inside the clipping plane. Select your model in the project view, go to the Inspector, the Model tab, and if it says Scale 0.01 then change the scale to 1 and click the Apply button further down.

I have a tutorial on exporting a character from Blender to Unity - check my sig. That's for an animated character.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. Foofy69

Foofy69

To everybody having this problem. Check to make sure when you saved your .blend file, you saved it when in object mode. If you save your model when in edit mode, you will ALMOST always get some kind of problem. So make sure you save your blender file in object mode. Hope this helps at least some =D.

7. Thunderous71

Thunderous71

Thank you! Such as simple thing has been causing me so much hurt ;)

8. GGRRCC

GGRRCC

How do you save the textures? (I'm trying to do this from Sketchup to Blender then to Unity, and in Blender, I noticed that there is no texture)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  9. Captain Ouroboro

Captain Ouroboro

Hey! So I was having the exact same problem, I made a 3D model of a level and imported it into unity but Unity couldn't retrieve it. So I hacked around and found out that Unity couldn't find where the .blend file came from because I made a second copy of blender onto my desktop. So I went into my Unity Modeling Assets Folder from my desktop and right-clicked on the file and pressed Open With... then I simply opened it with my Blender App and refreshed unity and it worked! If this helped you, great! if not then hopefully someday it will :)

paulacasanova likes this.
  10. BcCakeman

BcCakeman

Whenever I try to drag my model into the scene view the cursor is the circle with the dash through it, and the consle says "blender could not be found" what's up with that? Does anybody know what to do?:(

11. Crazie Official

Crazie Official

Just as Captain Ouroboro said above you, make sure you right click on the file and make sure it is set to open with blender. After that right click on the .blend file in the assets window in unity and click Reimport.

12. saifryan

saifryan

1) create object in blender.
    2) click on file.
    3) menu open , click on export.
    4) another menu, click on fbx.
    5) chose folder where you export your object.(directly export on unity or another folder its your choice).
    6) its 100% work. try it

13. Jojobahil

Jojobahil

Thank you! i saved the file again while in Object mode then it worked

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

This did it. I had Blender 2.80 beta installed recently and Unity tried to open it with the beta, which did not work. Telling the OS to open .blend files with 2.79 was the thing to do. Unity does not care, if the file is saved in Object or Edit Mode (at least on a Mac with the latest OSX).

15. Abstrath

Abstrath

For anyone else who may have this problem and the above didn't work. If you installed Blender using Windows Store... That could be your problem because it certainly was mine. I uninstalled it and went to the site and used their download file. Unity found it immediately after reinstall. A quick reimport later and everything works fine.