Search Unity

Question Can't import all assets of a package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Cloky, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Cloky

Cloky

Hey,

I am using this Asset Package https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/gui/gui-pro-kit-fantasy-rpg-170168#content working on my project.

Now, after initially downloading and importing it, there were a few updates. Today I downloaded the latest version in order to update (Package Manager -> GUI Pro Kit - Fantasy RPG -> Update). I then clicked on Import and waited a few minutes.

Now that "Import Unity Package" Window opens, where I can pick what to import with checkboxes.

About half of the assets are checked, the others not. I can't really see a pattern there. When clicking an unchecked box, it instantly goes back to unchecked. Clicking "All" in the lower-left corner does not change a thing. Also, some of the parent folders are greyed out.

Anmerkung 2020-08-27 142156.png

Why can I not import certain assets?

2. Derceto

Derceto

I'm having the same issue with a completely different package. Did you ever figure this out?

3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

What version of the Editor are you using? Do you have any error messages in the console?

4. Adrian

Adrian

This usually happens if you've previously imported the package. When you then later import an updated package, Unity will check which assets actually changed or were added and only allow you to select those. You see the circular arrow icon on the right for assets that have updated in the new package. If a folder doesn't contain any updated assets, Unity will still show a checkbox but won't allow you to select it. Assets that haven't updated don't show a checkbox.

qhdcjsxodud likes this.
  5. Derceto

Derceto

I'm using Unity 2020.2.1f1, I don't have any errors. Its true that this was a previously imported package I was trying to update.

I think Adrian is right, I just tried importing a few packages twice in a separate test project and I got the same behavior there each time (I can import everything the first time, and subsequent attempts show me all the files without letting me check most of the boxes), so I guess it may be by design. Definitely not intuitive though. The un-checkable blank check boxes for folders that haven't updated seems like an unnecessarily confusing aspect of the system. The package manager has little icons (with helpful tooltips) that show up to the right of new/updated files, perhaps it would help make the system more intuitive if they added an icon and tooltip to indicate to the user when a file or folder is already up-to-date.

6. pilz3d

pilz3d

same problem here

7. abdallahziani96

abdallahziani96

hey everybody , no import button here :/

Attached Files:

8. Hit the 'Download', when the package gets stored in the cache, you can import it.

9. MarkSharpe

MarkSharpe

I've deleted the downloaded asset from the file folder and restarted unity. Which prevents it from stalling out upon restart However, when I go back into the project the asset is still in the package manager and shows available for import. Is there anyway to simply clear the cache within the package manager to get a fresh download so when I hit import it pulls the assets? Ok. Well, I guess it downloaded the asset again because its showing however, multiple assets will not download today for whatever reason. Seems like clearing a cache might allow for a clean download and import. Following.

10. bridgettedunn777

bridgettedunn777

Started a brand new project, tried to import a package from the store, and I get "Error refreshing packages." Nothing but problems for past 4 hours trying to get Unity set up just to even start playing with it. Am close to giving up and trying Core.

11. abdallahziani96

abdallahziani96

ty for the reply
    it was a unity bug , i created a new project with the same assets (prefabs , scripts ... ) and it's working very well .

12. WindReiter

WindReiter

Just to add to this, I found a solution to the problem for me.
    I was trying to integrate Starter Assets with my custom environment in Unity.

Mobile controller selections were grayed out.

The problem was, there was already a mobile folder imported in my project's assets.
    I had to delete that folder within Unity.
    Once I did this, the option to re-download everything (including the missing packages) was available.
    Hope this helps someone!

13. WindReiter

WindReiter

An addition to my previous comment:
    Unity was asking me to update the assets automatically, since they were not compatible with the current version.
    Doing this excluded some of the mobile assets for some reason.

I deleted the mobile folder, and then reimported only this folder, and it did not ask me to update. Everything is now imported and working as expected.