Search Unity

Bug Can't get Unity to work, seems to be an issue rooted in not being installed in my C: drive?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Isvaelin, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Isvaelin

Isvaelin

Hi, something super weird is happening as I try to use Unity. It seems to continually be attempting to download files and search for them in my C drive, which is full; and I've specifically directed all downloads/ installation to the D: drive which has 700 GB. I have one of those setups where I have a smaller 100 GB SSD for my C drive with my MS OS and a few core applications and a 1TB HD for everything else on D. I've directed all paths to my D drive which is 1 TB. I can't get Visual Studio Community 2019 to install from Unity Hub I believe because of this issue.

I've set all the preferences in Unity Hub to direct to my D:Unity Folder, and Unity Hub is installed on my D drive.

I installed Visual Studio directly from the specific installer for that application in D drive. I was then attempting to troubleshoot this issue by opening a new project in Unity then designating the preferences to use Visual Studio. But when I attempt to create my first project, I again get an error where I can't even open my first project. The first time I tried, it said it can't find a file located on my C drive. It appears that it's trying to find Unity files in C:\Users\MyUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com... and several lines more. Then, when I tried again, it says I'm using the wrong version of unity, even though I only one one edition.

At this point I'm thinking Unity is probably more trouble than it's worth as I haven't been able to get the engine to run for a few days now and it feels like it's going to be a headache to use moving forward. I've tried fresh installs etc. I can't get to the point where I can use some of the workarounds people have suggested and am wondering if someone has figured out how to make this software work when they had to install it on a drive other than C:

I've uninstalled Unity Editor with all modules, and uninstalled Unity Hub. If there's an indepth guide to installing this software outside of C: drive I'd like to give it one last try before giving Unreal or Gamemaker Studio2 a try.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The AppData folder is a windows thing for storing settings and temporary files. Unity is just using the default that Windows provides. It sounds like you need to move this folder to somewhere with more memory.
    You can move this and the windows Temp directory. This gives a guide on how to do it `How to Clean AppData Folder?`
    https://theitbros.com/appdata-folder/