Search Unity

Can't get Thai characters to show up in iPad build

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by recon, Apr 15, 2013.

1. recon

recon

I'm trying to localize my clients app to Thai but all the characters always shows up as question-marks inside boxes on my iPad (It shows correctly in the unity editor on Win and Mac).

I have tried using a custom font (set to be dynamic), and the built in arial font. Iv'e tried storing the text in a .txt file in the Assets folder (saved with utf-16 encoding) and storing text straight in a TextMesh component.
    Iv'e also tried changing the language on my iPad to Thai, then restarting the app, but with the same results.

Is there a setting or some kind of gotcha with dynamic fonts? Can't an iPad display characters from a different language or is there some kind of setting I need to be aware of in the xcode project?

This looks like a bug to me but maybe I just missed something?

2. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hi, its probably not a bug.
    Foreign characters can be tricky sometimes.

You don't need to save as utf-16 encoding. save as UTF8.

You can see Thai characters on your editor because you probably have the Thai font on your computer.
    Try to include a Thai font on your Unity project, export it and see how it go.

3. Laurent_de_Medicis

Laurent_de_Medicis

Hey recon,

I am having the same problem with Thai characters. Did you find a solution by any chance?

Cheers,
    L