Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

cant get post process volume to work with cinemachines.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by dictatorship, Aug 26, 2020.

1. dictatorship

dictatorship

I've been repeating this tutorial from unity

I can't get any of the post processing effects to work when it is assigned to the main cameras or the virtual cameras under cinemachine.

However if I create a separate volume in the hierarchy and then add a post process effect to it, then it does work.

I am using :
    Unity 2019.4.8f1
    Cinemachines 2.6.1
    post process stack 2.3.0

Following along the tutorial this is the steps that I do.

1. I create a cinemachines virtual camera.
    2. I goto the main camera and create a post process layer. I select the Layer to "postprocess" on both the top right corner of window as well as in the post process layer script.
    3. I then add a post process volume to main camera and then create a new profile. Here i being to lay down my post process effects, at this point i expect to see something happen but none of the effects i select and add show up on scene or game view. I add the effects to main camera assuming that this is what would be the global post process effects that the virtual cameras would over ride
    4. I am trying to do a rack focus which is obviously painful because it is not intuitive and must involve blending virtual cameras instead of keyframes. However, DOF is under post process volume for the select virtual camera and again, when applying post process effects under the post process effect through the cinemachines for the virtual camera, the effects added do not show up on screen.
    5. I test this again and again via timeline but nothing shows up. The only time it works is by creating a separate volume and then applying post process effect, not through cinemachines.

If any can offer assistance, please help. I am at my wits end with unity and really dont want to hop on unreal.
    Cheers

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I am able to get it to work as described in the tutorial.
    Can you post images of your inspectors?

Also: for rack-focus, Cinemachine has a special feature for that, you don't need to blend volumes:
    1. Create an invisible game object to represent your focus target, and animate its position directly in timeline
    2. Then, add a CinemachinePostProcessing extension to your vcam. Give it a profile with DepthOfField. Enable all the DoF checkboxes.
    3. Set up the DoF profile to give the depth you want (example shown below). The Focus Distance setting can be anything (it will be overwritten)
    4. In the CinemachinePostProcessing inspector, set Focus Tracking to "Custom Target".
    5. Use your focus target object in the Focus Target field
    Now, the CM vcam will dynamically set the focus distance to the distance between the camera and your focus target.

upload_2020-8-27_13-38-32.png

gaborkb likes this.
  3. dictatorship

dictatorship

sorry for the late reply here is some of the pictures to diagnose it.

this is my hierarchy

upload_2020-8-31_13-35-28.png

this is my inspector for my main camera

upload_2020-8-31_13-38-31.png

and this is one of my virtual cameras
    upload_2020-8-31_13-39-45.png

I have chromatic abberation set to really high to see if the image is affected. But with the current settings, nothing looks like it is affected.

Much thanks for helping out ahead of time.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

aha! you have an HDRP project! That changes everything.

upload_2020-9-1_16-23-41.png

With HDRP, PostProcessing is built-in, and you don't need the PostProcessing package. You should uninstall the PostProcessing package.

HDRP comes with its own volumes, use those instead of the PostProcessing ones.
    Use CinemachineVolumeSettings extension instead of CinemachinePostProcessing.

See this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...h-postprocess-volume-dof.920192/#post-6063413

Foge likes this.
  5. rocco_wu

rocco_wu

What if it's a URP? I'm also having trouble with my post-processing effect not showing up for my virtual cameras but it does in the scene view.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Same thing for URP

harryjc likes this.
  7. LezCT

LezCT

Hello,

What should we do if the inline editor doesn't appear on the extension just like this?
    upload_2021-1-11_1-20-52.png

when it does that, I can't make it work on game mode. and oddly enough, this only happens on one of my projects.
    I tried to reproduce this on an empty project, but it's working fine when I did it.
    So I tried to export the project as a unity package then import it to the project that was causing the error.

what I found after importing on my other project, the imported virtual cameras are working just fine,
    but never the ones that I made inside the project (Cinemachine > Create Virtual Camera)
    upload_2021-1-11_1-32-57.png

Both the version is 2020.2.1f1, the cm version is 2.6.3

I've already sent a bug report about this, just waiting for a case number.

8. LezCT

LezCT

Okay, nevermind, i think I found the solution.
    delete the old cinemachine post processing extension from the assets folder and it should be fixed.

Gregoryl likes this.
  9. rocco_wu

rocco_wu

I'm using URP and am trying to change the bloom at runtime by changing the bloom of the volume which works since it changed to 10 here.

But on the Virtual Camera Post Processing it doesn't update like this
    upload_2021-1-17_11-11-49.png

Does anyone know how to fix this?

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Volume profile settings are assets and are not meant to be changed at runtime. The correct way to do this would be to make a separate global volume containing only the bloom, and adjust its weight dynamically to blend it in. Adjust the volume weight at runtime, not the profile settings.

Blitz54, harryjc and gaborkb like this.
  11. niozdude

niozdude

Can somebody help me I'm using URP and the post-processing volume shows up on my scene view but when I start the game view it turns off . Can somebody help me.

upload_2022-2-17_15-24-56.png

jukure likes this.
  12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

13. jukure

jukure

I cannot help you, but I have the same problem. Did you solve it?

14. WANhuatong

WANhuatong

select the unity Main Camera in your scene and in the camera component->Rendering->enable Post Processing.Hope this can help you although it's a bit late :)

lemapp likes this.
  15. Kenthria11

Kenthria11

I cant get it to work and Im using Unity's own render pipeline. Removing Post processing, readding, looking for an enable post processing option... nothing, scene or in game or device simulator.

16. Kenthria11

Kenthria11

Got it, still needs the Post Processing layer component

17. kiraravenheart

kiraravenheart

How should I do this if I'm using the built in render pipeline?

18. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You need to install the PostProcessing package and use the CinemachinePostProcessing extension instead of CinemachineVolumeSettings.

19. w62534410

w62534410

That's what I needed, but I still need the Post Processing layer component to complete the task

Gregoryl likes this.