Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Cant get Dynamic OS to work (for Apple Color Emoji)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by sasq64, Aug 29, 2023.

1. sasq64

sasq64

We use Apple Color Emoji for rendering emojis but don't want to include the font file in our builds.

The target is iOS (and I test on an iPhone 13)

According to the docs this is pretty straight forward; Use "Dynamic OS" and uncheck "Include Font Data". This seems to work in the editor but not on device, emojis are always rendered as boxes.

I've tried setting the Emoji Font both as Normal fallback and Emoji fallback, but no luck.

I've tried to see if our Emoji font is not the "normal" apple font, but when I have downloaded it from other places the files are the same, so it seems to be standard.

Is this supposed to work?

(we also want this to work for Android with the Noto Emoji font, but one step at a time I guess).

2. sasq64

sasq64

So I can try and answer this myself, and correct me if I am wrong:

* Newer iOS verions have switched to jpg-based Apple Color Emoji which is not supported by Freetype, so we are out of luck on those platforms
    * Noto Color Emoji has issues with its latest version (renders incorrectly) but the one from one version back actually works
    * In short, using Dynamic OS for emojis on mobile is currently not useful. But the Noto font is small so its OK :)