Search Unity

Can't get Cinemachine 2.4.0 to work with Universal RP and Unity 2019.3.0b7/0b9

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by babalunda, Nov 4, 2019.

1. babalunda

babalunda

When both the Universal RP (7.1.2 or 7.1.1) and the Cinemachine 2.4.0 packages are installed I get these two errors:

Assembly with cyclic references detected (Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Runtime/Unity.RenderPipelines.Universal.Runtime.asmdef)
    Assembly with cyclic references detected (Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/Runtime/com.unity.cinemachine.asmdef)

There are indeed references to the URP in the Cinemachine assembly definition and vice versa. But the references can't simply be removed, as either package requires them.

The project will still compile. However, having both of these packages installed unsurprisingly breaks lots of things. Depending on the order in wich you install the URP or Cinemachine, you will either get a Cinemachine dropdown menu or an Edit > Render Pipeline menu, but not both. If you uninstall the URP, then install Cinemachine, and then re-install the URP, you can get Cinemachine working. But you will lose the project materials and the Render Pipeline is then also broken, as you will be unable to access its menu and upgrade the materials.

So in essence: The most recent versions of the URP and Cinemachine simply do not play nice together, despite the official word being that they are meant to be compatible.

Tested on 2019.3.0b7 and 0b9.

Is this already known? Any chance there's an upcoming fix for either Cinemachine or the Universal RP?

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @babalunda

Thank you for spotting and reporting this. The two teams are treating this as high priority and are investigating a solution now. We'll keep you posted.

3. babalunda

babalunda

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to further updates on this.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Upcoming fix for Universal RP - watch for 7.1.3

babalunda likes this.
  5. babalunda

babalunda

Fantastic! Any chance there's already an ETA on 7.1.3? Or if there's no exact date, is it more a matter of days, weeks, or months? ;)

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Days, I would think.
    UPDATE: Hours.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    monomirror likes this.
  7. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

2.4.0-preview.6 has been promoted to production. Should be available via PackMan.

babalunda likes this.
  8. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

I can confirm above Cinemachine and latest timeline unpack into 2019.3.0b6 with no show stopping errors in HDRP sample template. Good working getting that sorted straight away. I was getting concerned Cinemachine had not received an update since May. Looks like 2019.4 should be just about ready then for LTS?

9. babalunda

babalunda

Hmm... appreciate the quick update! Unfortunately this isn't working for me yet. Using Cinemachine 2.4.0-preview.6, URP 7.1.2 and Unity 2019.3.0b7 I still get the "Assembly with cyclic references" error the moment I have both packages installed :( Is this combination supposed to work? Or do I need to downgrade to 0b6?

edit: @Gregoryl mentioned this would require an update to the URP itself (7.1.3), not just Cinemachine. Is that still the case?

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You need URP 7.1.3 - that's where the fix is

11. babalunda

babalunda

Is it available yet? I don't see it in the package manager in 0b7 despite refreshing and restarting Unity too. @marc_tanenbaum only mentioned an update to Cinemachine being out. Or do I need to update to a newer Unity beta to see URP 7.1.3?

12. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

It sounds like you do you have preview packages turned on. Another thing I didn't realize is you have to also hit "See all packages" sometimes for it to show up.

13. babalunda

babalunda

URP 7.1.3 is simply not available for me. Tried in 0b7 and 0b9. Preview packages are on as you can see. Of course I picked "See all packages" too. Restarted Unity many times, refreshed the window, made a new empty project. It's not showing up.

edit: I also tried 0b10. Nothing. Checked other people's computers with their own Unity licenses here too. Same, no 7.1.3.

urp.PNG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  14. filod

filod

Hours? o_O
    seems landed on github, but no official registry

15. zapposh

zapposh

Any ETA on URP 7.1.3 ?

16. babalunda

babalunda

...is there an ETA?

17. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Don't forget you can easily add the git directly (assuming the repo was setup right - which most are now) from package manger just hit the + and select "add package from git url" hopefully that works and no more waiting. ;-)

18. babalunda

babalunda

FYI: URP 7.1.5 is now officially available through the Package Manager. It works with latest Cinemachine :)

Thanks for the fix, guys!