Search Unity

Can't find unity Tilemap Palette

Discussion in '2D' started by UnityTile, Dec 7, 2017.

1. UnityTile

UnityTile

hi guys, I have a little question. I am running the latest version of unity. I started a 2d project. I was following a tutorial on tile-maps and it instructed me to go to window->tile-map palette. But tile-map palette does not appear as one of the options under window. I would like to know how I can access the tile-map palette. Thank you.

2. binghamd

binghamd

same issue over here! I actually had the tile palette in my work space the other day. restarted Unity and its gone!

3. onemanwolfpack

onemanwolfpack

Hello! I have the same problem!

4. Mysterius

Mysterius

Same. The documentation isn't maintained properly...

Maggi_kakashi likes this.
  5. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

It's called Tile Palette, not Tilemap Palette, and it's towards the bottom of the list. You're certain you're on the latest Unity version? Tilemap was added in version 2017.2
    That doesn't sound like the same issue. Did you save your editor layout as a preset? It can go back to default, or revert if you don't save it. Use the "Layout" dropdown menu at the top right corner of Unity and name/save your layout.
    Which docs are you talking about? This is all new stuff, so the docs are pretty much brand new, there hasn't been enough time for any sort of maintenance. If you spot problems in the docs, tell them here:
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/documentation.59/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    LiamNiz and eistx like this.
  6. onemanwolfpack

onemanwolfpack

Btw I had this issue and I just uninstalled Unity and downloaded the latest version and that was the solution.

eistx likes this.
  7. Robbo_

Robbo_

Any luck on solving this? I had this problem a few times and usually just saving and quitting, then restarting Unity solved the issue. However, yesterday I updated to 2018.1.0 from 2017.4.1 and now no matter what I can't get the tile palette to come up. I tried closing the tile palette tab and re-opening it, restarting my computer, but still no luck. I was wondering if anyone had another option to try without uninstalling/re-installing Unity all together. Thanks!

Uila likes this.
  8. Robbo_

Robbo_

Aw, I just re-installed 2018, but to no avail. Maybe the tile palette has a tough time working with 2018?

9. Robbo_

Robbo_

Also, even though the tile palette appears to have gone away, you can still highlight the tiles where they were and still paint with them. If you use the highlight function then select the whole area around the tiles then use the paintbrush to paint the whole section on your scene, you can see the layout of the tiles once again, giving you the ability to refer to where the tiles are supposed to be on the palette. (Just remember to delete that tileset after you are done with it. Certainly not ideal at all, but better than nothing if you're working on a deadline as I am. I have to have a few levels done by Friday, and not having the tile palette available after making the first levels using the palette is annoying, but thankfully, not the end of the world. Good luck everyone and I hope we see a bug fix on this issue soon. But hey, this is the risk with new features.

So I was watching one of my fav Unity youtube creators/teachers' stream and someone asked him about the tilemap being broken. He says it's just a bug that they are trying to correct and the tilemap in 2018 isn't any worse than in the 2017 versions of unity, however it isn't any better. So basically; still broken a little bit, try again later.

This is the stream he mentions it in, someone asks him the question in the first 20 mins somewhere I believe. The video is not on the subject of tilemap however, it was a stream about the shadergraph:

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. eistx

eistx

+1

Al-Masry likes this.
  11. TitaniumTadpole

TitaniumTadpole

So I was trying to find a solution to this for 3 days. Then found this. Tutorial is just outdated maybe?
    halp 2.png

12. Maigrett

Maigrett

Thanks Titanium Tadpole!!!

13. Green11001

Green11001

whats the tutorial?

14. Al-Masry

Al-Masry

Thanks

15. DuySM

DuySM

Thanks

16. Eleocraft

Eleocraft

Help me, I'cannot find the tile palette in unity 2019, not even in window 2d! The palette was there yesterday, but now the palette is gone.

Charoenboon and VyomThakkar like this.
  17. Tigger0606

Tigger0606

this is getting ridiculous. Just about every tutorial I have tried has had issues. I tried the forums and get no answers, all I see are people with the same or similar problems but no resolutions.
    Now I have this one where the tutorial point to the tile palette and it is not showing in the menu, either where the tutorial says or where I have seen it before

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

What tutorial? Made with which version of Unity? Are you sure you are not missing packages?

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

It cannot disappear like that.

In 2019.1, tile palette is in Window/2D:

Sans-titre-1.jpg
    and tilemap is in Hierarchy/Create/2D:

Sans-titre-2.jpg

20. Tigger0606

Tigger0606

I was using 2019.3.alpha, not realising it was an alpha version, i have just downloaded the 2019.1 stable version and will try again.

eaglethrust likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope your problem will be solved then. :)

22. betomaluje

betomaluje

On the alpha version (2019.3.0a8) you will need to install the 2D Tilemap Editor to see it :/

23. GameJamDiver

GameJamDiver

for me it only appears in 2d sprite editor, sprite packer, comunm > image packer debug editor, can somene help?? im using unitys 2019.2.ob7

24. sebas01pq

sebas01pq

Same problem here, i was following the 2D game Tutorial and i just can't find it :(

25. kuzmaskill

kuzmaskill

26. kuzmaskill

kuzmaskill

I also have such a problem

27. kuzmaskill

kuzmaskill

and there is no way to create a Tile
    upload_2019-7-12_20-30-16.png

28. Wezai

Wezai

First of all, you guys need the 2019.2 version or up. Secondly, you need to add tile maps to your project through the package manager.

If you are using an older version of unity you probably had to import those assets manually through github or something. But for newer version you need to do it through the package manager and import it.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

No. 2019.2 is in beta, not to be used for production.

2019.1 has both tilemap and tile palettes. See my post #19. I don't know about 2018.

Alexander017 likes this.
  30. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

For 2019.2 and above, if you created a new Unity project, you will need to add the 2D Tilemap Editor package from the Unity Package Manager (under Window/Package Manager) to your project to be able to create Tiles and access the Tile Palette. If you created a new Unity project with the 2D template, the package will be added for you automatically. If you upgraded from a previous Unity version, the package will be automatically added as well.

31. daichiy89

daichiy89

That solved it! Thank you!

mu6tu4e, Chabei and EmanuelReis like this.
  32. SerchLP

SerchLP

Thanks ChuanXin. I Had this problem and now i can use the tile palette.

hector2978 likes this.
  33. Suus_

Suus_

Go to Window > Package Manager > 2D Tilemap Editor and install it in case it was not. Now the Tile pallette should appear in Window > 2D > Tile pallette just like the tutorials and even Unity Manual says. I was confused

34. Scorx

Scorx

Thanks Very Thanks You Helped me I install 2d tile And i found tile palette again thank you

35. Cromtoo7

Cromtoo7

SOLVED!!! This solved the issue, just go to Window > Package Manager > 2D TileMaps and Install the package. The Tile Palette was then in Window > 2D > Tile Palette.

Good luck on your games everyone!

- Cromto

36. tudz135

tudz135

I have the 2019 latest version and i cant find it anywhere

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

38. helitao

helitao

I just found solution about this problem(2019.2):
    1. open Window->Package Manager;
    2. install 2D Sprite and 2D Tilemap Editor, and you will see the missing menu items.

39. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Thanks for catching this! This is a bug and will be fixed.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you! It's a lot puzzling to newbies when they want to create a 2D game and the necessary packages are missing. I hope this will be fixed very soon. :)

nvh200403 likes this.
  41. Deleted User

Deleted User

They are installed by default in 2020.1.0a11. It would be good that they are also installed by default in the next 2019.1 2 and 3 though. :)

42. magnusa2010

magnusa2010

I am using unity 2019.2.11f1 and it is not in the window tab nor is it in the window > 2d tab. any help?

43. Valjuin

Valjuin

upload_2019-11-6_22-11-24.png

44. unity_gUwYWyRdjwrdYA

unity_gUwYWyRdjwrdYA

i guess it only works with 2D project, i was trying to find solution for opening it 3D but there is no option for it i guess.

45. eses

eses

@unity_gUwYWyRdjwrdYA

There is no such thing as "2d project" or "3d project" in Unity - selecting either only changes a few settings in project, there is practically no difference.

If you are using newer Unity versions like 2019.x check that you have installed tilemap package installed. Then check the menu for tile palette.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

There are more differences between a 2D project and a 3D one than you imagine. Create each of them and take a look at the camera and lighting settings at least.

47. eses

eses

@APSchmidt

I don't quite know where you are going with this... I've personally started 3D projects from 2D "project" several times no problems.

In 3D template you have Perspective camera + sky box, and GI settings enabled.

In 2D mode, camera is set to orthographic mode, and no sky dome shader either. Realtime GI, baked GI naturally are disabled as pure sprite/2D games don't usually benefit from these.

For total beginner this might be an issue of not understanding the basics of 3D scene setup in Unity, but both modes don't AFAIK have any real differences (unlike comparing standard pipeline / URP / HDRP projects for example), it is not like you have to download some packages, or reconfigure ton of stuff... just a few button clicks.

I was just trying to point out this to previous nameless user and others that there is no issue of "only works with 2D project" - this might give someone an impression that there are some differences in projects that prevent creating a 2D game when you have started a "3D project".

48. KingstonUser1215

KingstonUser1215

I had the same problem, but after a bit of searching I found out how to do it.

1. Go into Package Manger and Search for "2D Tilemap Editor"
    (If you already have it installed, refer to step 3)
    Step 1.png

2. If it is not already downloaded on your computer, Download the Package by Clicking "Install" Through the bottom right hand corner of the window
    (After downloading it, it would give you the option to "remove", don't do that!!)

3. Go to Windows > 2D, then Tile Palette should be there
    Step 2.png

49. Morgankilyas

Morgankilyas

......Again?

Attached Files:

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shut down Unity after installing the packages and restart your project; it should be enough. You can also remove the packages and reinstall them, then quit Unity and restart your project.