Search Unity

Can't find 'Terrain Tools' package

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Waterlane, May 29, 2019.

1. Waterlane

Waterlane

wyckster likes this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

You did activate Advanced -> Show preview packages?

pp.png

3. Waterlane

Waterlane

Yes - that's all done>>>
    (I've searched for 'terrain' in packages as well and no luck)

(I'm using the 3D render pipeline - does that matter?)

Attached Files:

4. XiaoxiLiu

XiaoxiLiu

Unity Technologies

The screenshot shows your package manager's last update was on May 20, which was before the Terrain Tools package released. Maybe try restarting package manager or Unity to force a refresh.

Waterlane likes this.
  5. Waterlane

Waterlane

Yes - that's fixed it.
    I removed the package manager window and added it again - though it was using the latest package manager UI version (v2.1.2) - perhaps this should be looked at as a feature/bug/issue. It's likely this type of thing could happen to other people without them realising as well (I've now got other packages showing as having updates - which were not showing that before I reopened package manager...)

6. dubbeldutch64

dubbeldutch64

Thx for this hint!

7. frajer2464

frajer2464

what if I click on advanced but there is only: show dependencies and reset packages to default. There are no: show preview packages! What should I do? Don't know if it matters but I am on a mac.

nachimore34 likes this.
  8. noyogiisMYusername

noyogiisMYusername

What version of unity are you using?

9. vladalejnikov

vladalejnikov

Unity, it's just terrible! Do you know something about UI? I cant find a package for two hours and It's resolved by more than 5 steps! I had to turn on a parameter in preferences that called "Preview packages". What?!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    zeropointblack and wyattt_ like this.
  10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just in case anyone searches it in 2020.2:

* open Package Manager
    * click the Gear Icon
    * click Advanced Project Settings

pacman 0.png

In the upcoming (or choose it directly) Project Settings dialog

* select Enable Preview Packages

pacman 1.png

Then the Terrain Tools show up for "Packages: Unity Registry" in the Package Manager.

11. SgtLame

SgtLame

Thanks a lot!

12. klodqoshku

klodqoshku

thank you, that helped

Rowlan likes this.
  13. pukimusic007

pukimusic007

Thanks, it works

14. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

this is beyond stupid. and it says 3.0 thats a PREVIEW? unreal. how about finish it. whats taking so long.

... thanks.

wyattt_ likes this.
  15. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hello there. We agree that this is as far from optimal as we can get for our users. This is on our immediate near-term roadmap though we're not yet ready to share a release date. We will make an announcement as soon as we have more information. Cheers

HHuuCCi and DaLexis like this.
  16. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

sounds great. any chance you can have the previously selected brush STAY ACTIVE when i click away from my terrain and come back later to paint some more? currently, my brush keeps going back to something i used hours ago like a mountain stamp for some reason. i think it should remember your previously used brush.

also, the shift SMOOTH shortcut does nothing. maybe a 1 pixel blur radius. it needs to REFERENCE the settings under the smooth section, so we can see it actually doing something to the terrain.

please have them fix these two issues. they make it almost impossible to quickly make terrain.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    wyattt_ likes this.
  17. ahmodmyd

ahmodmyd

That worked for me thanks, man.
    I'm using unity 2020.2.1f1

Rowlan likes this.
  18. Middelbo

Middelbo

Thanks for this!
    Also: If you have package manager open in a floating window, clicking advanced settings WILL OPEN BEHIND THE PACKAGE MANAGER WINDOW! Grrr.

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

I only notice it from the notifications I get from the likes of my post, but maybe someone should consider that the whole preview thing was a very bad decision?

wyattt_ likes this.
  20. WillSMashU

WillSMashU

After enabling " preview packages" checkbox under advance options I see nothing to do with "Packages: Unity Registry" under Package Manager. Why the F*** is half my time In Unity trying to jump through hoops? How many hours before I can get more tools with my brushes. I guess I'll just stick with two options for my brushes for now cool thanks.

21. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

I've just glanced here at your thread, but I'm assuming you're looking for the terrain tools sample pack?

This is actually under the Asset store and would appear in ' my assets'.

More often than not you have to activate it via the website as it doesn't always appear in the 'my assets list until you select 'open in unity' from the web asset store.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nature/terrain-tools-sample-asset-pack-145808

Hope that helps some.

navratilvictori likes this.
  22. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

I thought this was essentially deprecated and now you're supposed to get Terrain Tools from the Package Manager.

I'm also not able to find Terrain Tools under Packages: Unity Registry, even with Enable Pre-release Packages turned on. I've also tried clicking Refresh List and Manual Resolve— no help. Using Unity 2021.1.0f1.

The steps above do not appear to be working for me. Advice?

Immersive-Matthew likes this.
  23. Reticulum

Reticulum

Haven't found Terrain Tools too... i'm using Unity 2021.1.0f1... i guess (and hope) it will be fixed in the next version of Unity.. :)

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

Click the "+" symbol, then "Add package by name" and enter "com.unity.terrain-tools"

upload_2021-4-1_9-14-46.png

25. andreyefimov2010

andreyefimov2010

Another workaround is to add
    Code (csharp):
    1. "com.unity.terrain-tools": "3.0.2-preview.3"
    to your Packages/manifest.json file. Then focus on the Unity editor and it will download and install the package.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  26. vedantsanil

vedantsanil

This worked. Thank you!
    This worked, thank you! Note : for 2021 build

miracalious likes this.
  27. yvesflueckiger

yvesflueckiger

Have same problem please help someone

28. yvesflueckiger

yvesflueckiger

thanks that worked

29. Reaper9000

Reaper9000

I was able to find it and Download & Import it, however, when I do so, only the assets appear in the Project manager.
    The Terrain GameObjects, when selected, do not have any additional tools under Terrain in the Inspector - in a video I watched, it looked like it added several options under the paint brush.

Someone suggested I wait, and I've waited over 30 minutes. I've hit play, and gotten out. I've saved & rebooted. Imported it 5x's trying to see if it missed anything - no go.

It's pleasant having more assets, I suppose, but I was really hoping for the tools more so than the assets. Any pointers to get those additional paint brushes & tools???

30. Reaper9000

Reaper9000

Scratch that - I downloaded it from the asset store, the files were last updated in 2018.
    I found the right one in the Package Manager and all is well in the world!

wyattt_ likes this.
  31. Artik2442

Artik2442

Dumb mistake I've made... I was looking in my assets and not in unity registry. So yeah, after 3 hours I've finally got this package.

So yes. As everyone says, Terrain Tool is in Unity Registry (not in your assets) and make sure to select preview package.

32. navratilvictori

navratilvictori

For Unity 2021, this was the only working solution.

PS: The "Package Manager" project setting "Enable Preview Packages" is now called "Enable Pre-Release Packages" (Which btw, it doesn't work)

When adding package by name, I used: Name "com.unity.terrain-tools" version "4.0.0-pre.2" as this is the latest, but this crashes and is unstable. Now I installed without specifying a version and the latest installed is "3.0.2-preview.3"
    (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.terrain-tools@4.0/changelog/CHANGELOG.html)

All packages and preview packages can be found: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/pack-preview.html

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    omar_dahrawy2000 likes this.
  33. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Which version of the editor were you using with 4.0.0-pre.2 that caused it to crash? I believe it's only compatible with at least 2021.2.0a17 or 2021.2.0a18 and should be visible in Package Manager.

34. aylapants

aylapants

You are a GODSEND! This is exactly the answer I needed!!!

DangerIncreased likes this.
  35. CriticalCoders

CriticalCoders

36. harshsahuomi48

harshsahuomi48

37. marshakross2020

marshakross2020

question: Does Terrain tools work with Unity 2020.3.8 ? and if so..... do you bring it in the same way as mentioned above in several messages?

38. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

It does work, yes.

If you can't see "Terrain Tools" in the package manager, with preview checked or not.

Then you may pull directly from Unity's GitHub with the above mentioned "com.unity.terrain-tools" this goes for any supported and public resource Unity has released.

Terrain tools also has an Add-on from the asset store, to give a few new features, brushes, ui, models.
    This is called Terrain Sample Asset Pack and can also help speed up prototype stages.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    wyattt_ likes this.
  39. Mamello

Mamello

Please help. I enabled "preview packages" & imported the terrain sample asset pack, but the "terrain toolbox" doesn't appear under "Window".
    upload_2022-2-25_17-5-55.png

Attached Files:

40. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

The Terrain Sample Asset Pack is a Unity Asset Store add-on for Terrain Tools which is a downloadable editor package

You can install Terrain Tools directly from Package Manager
    If you switch your package method from My Assets to Unity Registry you'll then be able to search for Terrain Tools.

Attached Files:

wyattt_ likes this.
  41. Mamello

Mamello

Thanks so much. This helps.

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  42. kevcarr111

kevcarr111

I had same issue, very frustrating but this did help. Thank You.

43. anweshadasdesign

anweshadasdesign

Thaanks bro! U r a SAVIOUR!<3

44. unity_IuokGeOCUjMFTA

unity_IuokGeOCUjMFTA

this does nothing i have the same issue and terrain doesnt show up under window tab no matter what i do

45. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Some more context on your issue would go a long way, it's really important to give the information about your unity environment and set-up, otherwise, people can't give you help in context.

Here are the two main ways you can install Terrain Tools in LTS.
    Also, it's important to remember that you cannot install anything if you have console compile errors.

Via Package Manager
    upload_2023-12-23_20-15-55.gif

Via Github link ( in package manager)
    upload_2023-12-23_20-19-7.gif

If you have an older setup, like mentioned in this thread then you'll likely be instaling from the preview section of the package manager, which has to be enabled in your Project Settings before it can be seen
    upload_2023-12-23_20-22-28.png

If you still can't get it to work, check for project compile errors ( can't enter play mode) or consider the thread options above, especially where it talks about unity versions and previews.

Finally, you can try in a fresh install, it's common that after a lot of project exploring or learning, deleting files/library or upgrading versions, the project can become a little unstable. giving yourself a fresh environment to test will help you determine if there's a project, editor or system issue.

Still, I recommend a more concise context overall.