Search Unity

Can't figure out how to set timeline length

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Zaffer, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi,
    I'm using Unity 5.3 in Windows 10. I just made my first animation and it works well, however, I would like to make it happen over a longer time. I've looked everywhere I can think of (see attached) and I can't figure out how to make the animation timeline last more than 60 seconds. Where can I set the start and end frames? Can anybody help me with this? Thanks.
    Zaffer

animation_01.jpg
    Animation_2.jpg Animation_3.jpg

2. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

I've never used 5.3, but you can't just drag your keyframe passed 60? If you click on the icon under the X at the top right of the animation window, that will give you a number of options, but I'm pretty sure animation length is dynamic; just drag the last key further along the timeline.

Alternatively, you can lower the sample rate. Right next to where it says "Sun Animation" there's something called "Samples." That's not actually the FPS unless you're using frame-by-frame animation. If you're just rotating an object, lowering the same rate will slow down the animation, and your in-game frame rate won't be affected.

Zaffer likes this.
  3. Zaffer

Zaffer

HI Weakinteractiv, Thanks for getting back to me. I figured it out :) I tried dragging the last keyframe out -- no luck, but when I started experimenting with the "Samples" box, I discovered that increasing the number made the timeline longer -- without slowing down the game framerate. I also discovered that decreasing the "speed" number in the Sun Animation Inspector also slowed down the animation without affecting the game framerate. Now I have two ways to to it! Thanks for your help.
    Zaffer
    animation_04.jpg animation_05.jpg

4. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

Hey, happy to help, glad you figured it out. The way it works in Unity 2019 and 2020 is a lot more intuitive, but at least you can get your desired effect :)

5. radiantboy

radiantboy

I cant find the option on 2021 any ideas?

6. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

Hey,

I checked on 2021.1.7f1 and the sample rate is in its usual place:

Show_Sample_Rate.png

Samples.png

radiantboy likes this.
  7. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks never saw that show sample rate option.

Unrighteouss likes this.