Search Unity

Can't even start!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mrbothered, Mar 24, 2015.

1. mrbothered

mrbothered

Hi all. I thought I would have a go at Unity. I downloaded it and followed the tutorial 'getting started'. It starts by making a simple Roll a Ball game. The video is nothing like the Unity I have! Right at the beginning it says 'save the scene in the assets folder by clicking new folder'. There is no option for new folder. I did it by right clicking and sorted it out but,,, Then it says click on 'create object' then 'Plane'. there is no option to click Plane! I mean, this is a struggle within the first five minutes of the tutorial. The interface looks completely differant, the one in the video is dark, mine is white and the menus and options are differant/missing. What is going on?
    Thanks.

2. blizzy

blizzy

Try right clicking on any folder in the Project view, or try the main menu. Under GameObject > 3D > Plane there should be your plane.

Even though the video tutorials might be slightly outdated (they could be for Unity 4 where as Unity 5 is the current version), things are not as hard to find as you make it seem.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. mrbothered

mrbothered

I agree. I did find all the things i was looking for, they were just in other places, this is confusing at first though when you have no idea what you're doing. I got as far as editing the script then decided it was too much for me, I thought it was going to be easier than that. I can watch a video of somebody editing a script but have no idea what to do myself. I have uninstalled Unity. Thanks for your help though.

4. blizzy

blizzy

Heh, no problem :)
    Perhaps you may come back some day with a great idea that you'd like to implement with Unity.

5. Kondor0

Kondor0

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yeah, roll a ball is coming close to the end of its useful life as a "hello world" tutorial.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some of those video tutorials are out of date having been made for Unity 4.x. If you are finding it to be simply overwhelming or you aren't positive it may be for you, I would recommend trying an easier tool such as Game Maker.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Second this. These higher level tools aren't as powerful or flexible as Unity, but they allow you to get a feel for making a game without having to get down and dirty in code.

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This may also help.
    Or there is Construct2 as well.

I'd also suggest after going through the documentation, go through learning topics before starting a tutorial.
    Learning all there is about Unity 4x will only help you along when creating things in Unity 5.
    Minus the lighting and audio tools there isn't much fundamentally different between the versions.