Search Unity

Bug Can't Enable FFR w/ URP - Oculus Quest 2

Discussion in 'VR' started by Zaflores, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Zaflores

Zaflores

Hello!

Unity Version 2021.3.4f1.
    URP version 12.1.7

I am working on a VR game for the Oculus Quest 2 using URP and we are having trouble enabling FFR for our title as we're currently GPU bound and would like to have FFR working so we're able to accurately profile our game using all the features we can.

I'm aware there are a number of things that can break FFR, but I don't believe we're doing any of them. No post processing, disabled depth texture/opaque texture in URP settings object, etc.

Is there a best way to figure out what's disabling FFR in our project? I'm launching a scene that isn't currently running at 72 FPS and using the command adb shell setprop debug.oculus.foveation.level 4 to try and force FFR on but it makes no difference.

Any advice on how I can debug this?

Zach

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

I think you are missing some info

3. Zaflores

Zaflores

Hi! Sorry The post has been updated with all the correct information, Made a typo and submitted the issue while trying to fix it.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make sure you use the oculus xr plugin and oculus integration and call ffr via code instead of adb commands. Are you using OVRMetrics to check FFR level?

Also, definitely update unity to the latest LTS for a good performance bump as well :)

Zaflores likes this.
  5. Zaflores

Zaflores

Yes!

I am using the Oculus XR Plugin and not OpenXR, and I am attempting to enable FFR via code.

My code for enabling FFR looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public class EnableFoveated : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     private void Awake()
    5.     {
    6.         InputFocusAquired();
    7.         OVRManager.InputFocusAcquired += InputFocusAquired;
    8.     }
    10.     void InputFocusAquired()
    11.     {
    12.         OVRManager.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    13.         OVRManager.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = true;
    14.     }
    15. }
    I added the FFR level to my OVR graph and it looks like this script isn't correctly setting the foveation level however the ADB command does trigger the foveation level to increase to the specified amount (however I'm seeing no difference in visual quality despite trying to set FFR to the max level, and no changes in FPS graph in OVR metrics tool)

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Does the code even run?

7. Zaflores

Zaflores

Yes!

I was actually able to fix the foveation not being set by changing the code to the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         OVRManager.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FoveatedRenderingLevel.Low;
    2.         OVRManager.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    3.         OVRManager.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = true;
    I saw somewhere it was a bug that a cached value was being used and that by changing the value twice you could set it to the appropriate level. The foveation level is now reflected in the OVRMetricsTool however I am not seeing any sort of visual difference still. I have yet to verify this with a GPU capture in RenderDoc (which will be my next step) but with the level set to HighTop there should be some pretty obvious visual difference with foveation on, I believe

8. Zaflores

Zaflores

Apparently FFR only works with Vulkan!

Switched the graphics API to auto graphics API and things are running a lot better.
    Maybe this could be added into the oculus package as a warning, because I was stuck on this for quite a while. Hope this is useful to someone!

Zach

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

If it's said nowhere make a bug report

10. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

FFR with OpenGL stopped working since URP 10.10.1.

I'm working on a OpenGL project using URP 12.1.8, and FFR is not visible at all regardless of the level, despite the Overlay Tool shows the correct FFR number. Changing DynamicFFR or Intermediate Texture options does not help.

11. DevDunk

DevDunk

File a bug report, otherwise it won't be fixed

Zaflores likes this.
  12. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

13. DevDunk

DevDunk

Disable dynamic ffr and set it to high. If it doesn't work it's different than the bug report, as the solution there was that it was on dynamic reading the reply

14. justdizzy

justdizzy

What are these? Im using Unity 2022.3.4 URP (default performant settings), Vulcan API only, I set dynamic to false to manually control switching, and when I trigger it, I can see the FOV changing in OVRMetrics but I'm not visually seeing any difference. I am using OpenXR plugin but if OculusXR was required I would expect the FOV settings to not change.

15. zezba9000

zezba9000

FYI use "OVRPlugin" instead of "OVRManager" to set "foveatedRenderingLevel" etc then it works with GLES3.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. OVRPlugin.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    2. OVRPlugin.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = false;
    Oculus has major bugs going on right now. Vulkan is also slow as hell.

16. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

That message is months old now, but I reverted that project to Unity 2020 using URP 10.10.0 and everything worked as expected. Using Unity 2021+ was not viable back then due to massive performance issues.

17. zezba9000

zezba9000

BTW spent the entire yesterday trying to figure out what was going on with Quest & Vulkan (tested OculusXR vs OpenXR loaders or combinations of both and settings etc). Turns out URP simply breaks Quest performance if you enable Vulkan. GLES3 it works fine. Or BuiltInRP runs smooth on Quest with Vulkan too. Tested multiple versions but settled on 2023.1.11 for now as 2022 has URP performance issues according to release notes.

Pico 3/4 with URP and Vulkan run smooth as butter. Ever since this OpenXR junk things have gotten worse with Quest.
    Now we have a released game built on URP with these issues. I actually wonder if making a custom Quest loader wouldn't just fix the URP issues as Pico is totally fine here. Otherwise long run need to convert URP shaders to BuiltInRP as Meta clearly is not testing their stuff for URP.

Just posting this for others.

DevDunk likes this.
  18. DevDunk

DevDunk

It can also be that meta has different results. I just did some testing as well and had no issues with vulkan in urp whatsoever.
    Bug reports for stuff like this are always welcome

19. zezba9000

zezba9000

Do you have TMP text to your scene?
    A basic scene with almost nothing in it might run fine.

20. DevDunk

DevDunk

I used some random models to increase gpu usage. I also measured gpu utelization, which was similar across versions

21. zezba9000

zezba9000

Ok so did some more tests. MSAA on is the core thing slowing down URP on Quest with Vulkan.
    With AA off I think Vulkan wins. Whatever this issue is someone at Unity3D probably need to look into this.

I imagine this is a MSAA texture resolve bug in URP that somehow effects Quest (also notice this with Pico now too). Is URP passing Quest/Pico APIs a MSAA texture or a resolved one? PLEASE can someone on Unity3D take a look?

Testing with: Unity 2023.1.11

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  22. DevDunk

DevDunk

I tested 2022lts and 2023.3, which performed good. I also tested with vulkan and msaa.
    For the depth settings on the urp asset, did you use force prepass?

Also if you make a bug report it can be tested by QA so it can be fixed if they can reproduce it

zezba9000 likes this.
  23. zezba9000

zezba9000

Setting this to Forced solve the issue in part.
    * GLES3 is still faster
    * Splash Image no longer renders
    upload_2023-9-7_1-22-24.png

24. DevDunk

DevDunk

Put the priming mode to auto or disabled (or if forced works better that's interesting) and the depth texture mode to force prepass.
    Got them mixed up.

25. zezba9000

zezba9000

What option are you setting for Depth PrePass in URP? (As I thought this is what "Depth Priming Mode" was?)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  26. zezba9000

zezba9000

Do you mind sharing your URP settings?
    Here are mine for reference targeting GLES3.

upload_2023-9-7_2-40-18.png upload_2023-9-7_2-40-1.png

upload_2023-9-7_2-39-42.png

27. DevDunk

DevDunk

28. DevDunk

DevDunk

29. djarcas

djarcas

I've got the same issue - I can't get FFR to work, under OGL or Vulkan. I'm running out of alternatives to call!

Code (CSharp):
    1.       if (Time.realtimeSinceStartup % 4f < 2f)
    2.         {
    3.             Unity.XR.Oculus.Utils.foveatedRenderingLevel = 4;
    5.             OVRPlugin.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    6.             OVRPlugin.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = true;
    8.             OVRManager.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    9.             OVRManager.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = true;
    10.         }
    11.         else
    12.         {
    14.             OVRPlugin.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FoveatedRenderingLevel.Off;
    15.             OVRPlugin.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = false;
    17.             Unity.XR.Oculus.Utils.foveatedRenderingLevel = 0;
    18.             OVRManager.foveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FoveatedRenderingLevel.Off;
    19.             OVRManager.useDynamicFoveatedRendering = false;
    20.         }

30. Timtaotao

Timtaotao

I am trying to use FFR since my project is FILL bound and I'm expecting FFR to boost the performance. I managed to enable FFR, or at least OVR metrics and VrApi info tell me that. However I can't notice rendering quality decline at the peripheral, furthermore, the FPS is almost the same in a somewhat intense scene around 60, no matter how I change the FFR level. My Unity version is 2022.3.8 and URP version is 14.0.8. I'm using OpenXR plugin provider with Meta Foveated and Meta Features checked, and the OVR integration is the latest v57.

Besides, I just can not be sure whether I have successfully enabled FFR, maybe the OVR metrics just gives me false information since no Visual artifacts are noticed by me.

Can anyone help me? Cheers.

31. Timtaotao

Timtaotao

I have encoutered similar issue, have you figured it out yet? Thanks