Search Unity

Can't edit new scripts in Unity 5.3

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Reisender, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Reisender

Reisender

I just updated to Unity 5.3.

I solved all the warnings triggered by obsolete references. Now I want to continue with my project. I created a new script from the Editor, and double-clicked it to open it with MonoDevelop... but I can't write on it!

I also see a small "?" icon on the file name, with a warning stating that the file is not under version control, but even if I right-click it and select "Version control -> Add", the issue remains.

upload_2015-12-28_15-8-4.png

Any ideas on why this is happening? This is totally preventing me to do anything :(

2. Reisender

Reisender

P.S. I haven't even configured any version control for this project under MonoDevelop...

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No idea why that's happening, but I can tell you how to work around this and make your Unity time about 300% more productive at the same time: ditch MonoDevelop for Script Inspector 3. I did this a couple months ago and I can't believe how much happier I've been... scripts and other text files just snap open so fast, it's amazing. No wait at all. You can even do simple edits right in the Inspector panel if you want!

There are many other great features too, like a pop-up menu of the call stack for any console message, that lets you jump right to any point in the call chain. Its autocomplete is also a lot smarter than MonoDevelop ever was for me; rather than fighting an editor that thinks it knows what I want better than I do, I feel like the Si3 editor is actually helpful.

There are only two drawbacks I've found: because it's within the Unity IDE, where cmd-S means "Save Scene," you have to retrain your brain to hit ctrl-S to save a script. And second, it doesn't (yet) have a debugger. So, I haven't ditched MonoDevelop completely; I still fire it up when I need to set a breakpoint and step through code.

But most days, MonoDevelop stays blissfully un-launched on my machine... and coding in Unity has never been so awesome!

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Reisender

Reisender

It would be nice to give that a try, if it were not for the fact that it costs $55...

I found the solution anyway, if it's worth for anyone:
    - Go to MonoDevelop Preferences / Version Control / General, check "Disable Version Control globally" and restart MonoDevelop.

5. Vahok

Vahok

Thank you very much! This problem was driving me crazy!

Twibby and Reisender like this.
  6. Commander N7

Commander N7

I'm new on the unity community and not sure if I'm posting in the right place. every time I right my own script to place on an object even when I look up youtube videos and do what they do to make sure I'm doing it right when I drop it on the object it will say it cant bc of compile errors saying I have to fix it before I can add the script but idk what the problem is can someone please help?

7. StarManta

StarManta

Please make a new thread, this problem is unrelated to this one. Here's some documentation on the Console which will show you whatever errors are preventing your scripts from compiling.

JoeStrout likes this.
  8. doktorstick

doktorstick

If you want to keep Version Control, you can work around the problem by adding the file to Version Control, closing that file, and then re-opening the file. You can now edit the file. You should have to only do this once per added file. Quite an annoyance for certain :(

9. zombikiller

zombikiller

Thank you so much <3

10. k3pp

k3pp

Thanks! That worked for me!