Search Unity

Can't Edit Materials

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by John-B, Jan 21, 2018.

1. John-B

John-B

When I import a new model (never been imported to the Unity project), I'm unable to edit any of the materials in that model. When I select the material in the Project panel, it's dimmed in the Inspector. This just started happening with Unity 2017.3 (MacOS 10.12.6). I can edit the materials of models already in the project, it's just the new ones that I can't. Also, now when I import a model, it creates all new materials in my project, and it puts those materials in the model folder (in the Project panel) along with the meshes. These new models use the same materials as those already in the project, so the new, un-editable materials are all duplicates. Previously, when I added a model that used existing materials, it would not duplicate the materials, and it would not put new materials in the model's folder. I've tried importing a few different new models in native C4D, native Cheetah3D, and FBX, in two different projects, and the result is the same.

I've tried all the various import settings, it doesn't make a difference. Short of reassigning all the materials after importing, I don't know what else to try.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Perias

Perias

Yup, having that too on Unity 2017.3.

My well-established export-import via fbx from blender used to generate materials inside a "Materials" folder, which could then be edited and even shared between fbx files.

Now, I have to manually make new materials and assign them, since it's not even possible to change the shader for the material, which is necessary in 98% of my cases. This is all a bother.

Any chance we could have the old, sane behaviour back?

XyrisKenn likes this.
  3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The new way is the default for 2017.3 and newer.
    If you do need the materials separate just go inside the importer settings of the object go the the materials tab and use under location "Use External Materials (Legacy)"
    I have not seen a option to overwrite this behavior for all new files in the project.

4. Perias

Perias

Thank you, fffMalzbier, I'd missed that!

There is a method to write importer scripts IIRC - if I get around to doing that, I'll make sure to post.

ETA: I don't mind the materials being "internal" to the FBX so much, it's the inability to edit that bugs me. I can see how with a little work, you can probably get the imported material to behave OK with the texture slots - but I can't see how your modelling package could change shader or values like smoothness etc. Meaning, if your asset happens to be opaque+standard shader with maps for everything, you're maybe OK. But how would you set transparency mode and queue from any authoring tool?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  5. John-B

John-B

So the new default is to generate duplicate, non-editable materials for every imported object? Why would anyone want such a default? Is having too few materials in a project ever a problem? Do people prefer to not be able to edit materials?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  6. No-made

No-made

I've the same problem importing daz3D characters. Do someone find a solution?

7. John-B

John-B

See fffMalzbier's post above.

8. No-made

No-made

thank you

9. jexmatex

jexmatex

completly agree what's the point... ?

10. DChap

DChap

Yeah I hope someone from Unity can comment on this post and make it clear what the intended pipeline is here for editing materials from imported FBXs. I'm always hesitant to use something the (Legacy) in the name...

11. Darkroot-Jackson

Darkroot-Jackson

well, its 2018 and I still dont get why its SO hard to edit materials from imported models. I mean, what in the world is the intended pipeline??

12. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

My Guess is that its intended that you use the "Extract Materials" button if needed or use on demand remap in case you just need to overwrite some of the imported materials. This has the advantage that if changing the model and reimporting the importer can automaticly reapply the materials even if they have changed the name (This case would have generated a new material in the old pipeline)

13. John1515

John1515

Yeah, just use Extract materials and you can select a folder to extract the materials to. Then with your 3D model in your scene, you can just select and edit materials as normal.

14. drewradley

drewradley

Did this. Now my massive model with hundreds of materials is pink. Oh great and powerful Unity. Why oh why did you change something no one wanted or needed changed?

15. schifezzevarie

schifezzevarie

Correct pipeline should be:
    Import asset with 1. models 2. their materials.
    Let me edit imported materials at my will.
    Stop.
    That's how everybody works.

16. altair2020

altair2020

Im still having this issue with .fbx files ( exported from blender) and blender files... I cannot see the option (inside the importer settings of the object go the the materials tab and use under location "Use External Materials (Legacy)")

Is there something else i need to check in 2018.2 ?

ria8651 likes this.
  17. thomas4d

thomas4d

same issue Here I search and everyone says change import setttings ? but I see no option only Import material Tick box ??

Attached Files:

18. altair2020

altair2020

This is fixed in 2018.2.14f update your unity.

19. Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

Having same problem here, Im running the new Unity 2018.2.15f1 , exporting from Maya 2018 in fbx, made a grass low poly texture as phong.... and no option to do anything with the materials options...

upload_2018-11-13_17-34-27.png

20. Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

21. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

There are a few posts describing this bug including this one.

With regard to recent versions, the problem appeared in 2018.2.13f1, it was fixed in 2018.2.14f1 and returned in 2018.2.15f1. Rolling back to Unity 2018.2.14f1 should help.

22. Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

Horza_Bora_GoBuchul

thanks for the heads up, '' ) Reverting worked....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Vectorbox likes this.
  23. sonamoo52

sonamoo52

I solved.
    gotoAnd mixamo.com

1.Download Fbx file.
    2.Also download Collada file.
    3.Unzip Collada file. and paste texture folder to your fbx folder.
    4.Go to texture tab
    5.Click config button right side and click reset.
    6.Done

24. thomas4d

thomas4d

shutting down uniity and restartingfixed my issue

25. oliiix

oliiix

you know there are ppl (everyone who calls himself actually an artist) who don't download stuff from mixamo and use their own designs which means they might not even have the option to export to collada files in their 3D modelling software! Maybe read the thread first^^

new Version 2018.3.0 does have the options back and you can easily extract the materials, just downloaded new version as I wasn't able to extract the materials myself with a previous version

26. Shaba1

Shaba1

27. Shaba1

Shaba1

I am using 2019.3 and that checkbox does not appear with my imported FBX files

28. naserbeheshti

naserbeheshti

My problem solved. (2018.4.20f1)
    1. I selected the model.
    2. In the Inspector, I selected the Materials tab.
    3. Then, in front of the "Materials" line, there is a button, named "Extract Materials ...". I clicked on this button.
    4. Dialogue appears, to select a folder. The default folder is Model, in the same project that I was working on. I did it.
    5. Now, materials are extracted and editable.

29. restush96

restush96

You guys are wrong! You don't need to extract materials!

I have found a solution to edit material on FBX ! I'm using URP.
    1. Goto your model folder
    2. Paste this t:Material on the search bar
    3. Highlighting your model folder name on the tab search bar
    4. Select all material
    5. Goto top left corner -> Edit -> Universal Render Pipeline -> Upgrade Selected Materials to RenderPipeline
    6. Done

30. craftlofer

craftlofer

is there any 2018.4.33f1 solutions that work? i tried extracting materials but the models turn all pink, i don't want to manually rematerial everything as there is over 1K materials

31. rosk333

rosk333

November 2021 and Unity Editor 2019.4.31f1 with VRChatSDK3, despite using
    default textures on imported blender .fbx model, then dragging materials Atlas on to model, which then allows Atlas Shader to be changed from 'Standard' to VRChat/Mobile/Toon Lit, VRChatSDK3 Editor, Android mode STILL fails,
    saying that Shader is Standard!!!!

IN 53 YEARS OF PROGRAMMING I HAVE _NEVER_ SEEN SUCH A BUGGY SET OF SOFTWARE AS UNITY + VRCHAT.

They should be ashamed of this product.

CallMeReznov likes this.