Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Download the Viking Village Demo on the Asset Store (Updated)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BHS, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BHS

BHS

Update:
    I was finally able to download the viking demo and now I get this error.

Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.AssetStoreContext:OpenPackage(String)

This also happens with whatever asset I try importing. I've tried restarting and downloading 5 times with the same outcome.

I've been trying to download the Viking Village demo for the last hour and I keep getting an error. Am I the only one that's having this issue? Or is it some type of bug or server type thing?

ErrorDownloading.png

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Abnegation

Abnegation

I can confirm that I'm having the same issue using Unity 5. Incidentally, this is the first result that appeared when I Googled the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. RoloJo

RoloJo

Same problem here.

4. justtime

justtime

same problem

5. Belbertn

Belbertn

I have this problem too, can't find a solution anywhere

6. JakobWagner

JakobWagner

Same problem.

7. Seigman

Seigman

Same problem here :(

8. PeterSed

PeterSed

For mine, it downloaded about 95% before I got the error ( I can see it on the download section of the in-editor store).. When I clicked again , this time it says ´please wait´ then flashes 0% and then immediately says error.

Logain likes this.
  9. Sortest

Sortest

Same problem(

10. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

me too
    am so sad :(
    at first I thought it was because I moved Unity to my E drive and redid paths and shortcuts so went and re-installed it
    but other assets download fine,
    this looks so cool and I just got the DAZ indy license other week too with all those cool PClub DAZ original Genesis vikings to run amok in it, is close enough to Faverals village to do cut scenes in carrara with that,
    If I ever get to figuring out how to make a game that is.
    and don't worry that store is soooo tempting, I will be buying stuff as most FBX rigging works in iClone and carrara too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. BHS

BHS

Can we please get official word that this is being addressed?

Logain and justtime like this.
  12. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Same. Only for Stealth.

13. Tango_Whiskey

Tango_Whiskey

Just downloaded Unity 5, wanted to check this out, same error as well.

14. Seigman

Seigman

Just tried again, and now it's working! :)

15. BHS

BHS

I was finally able to download the viking demo and now I get this error.

UnityEditor.AssetStoreContext:OpenPackage(String)

This also happens with whatever asset I try importing. I've tried restarting and downloading 5 times with the same outcome.

16. tchris

tchris

I get the failed import error as well

17. wendsyluvscatz

wendsyluvscatz

seems to be fixed now

18. alijib

alijib

It's stuck at 38% since past 30 minutes. Tried several times, but unable to download.

Is there a seperate link to to download the asset?

19. Logain

Logain

I am getting that exact same error. Any help would be appreciated!

20. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

When I click download it instantly says "Viking Village failed to download."

21. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Another link would be much appreciated. :)

22. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

same problem ...

23. kristoof

kristoof

24. Gooseboy

Gooseboy

I'm staggered that they haven't sorted this out - a lot of people will be attempting to download this showcase to see what the new engine is capable of & work through the code.

25. Stargazer1974

Stargazer1974

Same Error here. It don't start to download. Just said "ERROR"

joaodamatta likes this.
  26. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Same error.

27. s2quinnh

s2quinnh

Mine imported everything except the /Assets/Textures/Skies/Daytime/SunsetSkyboxHDR.hdr file. I even tried re-importing that file, but it gets to about 85% import then freezes Unity. I have to force quit every time.

28. BrunoCiccone

BrunoCiccone

I've successfully downloaded the package 3 times. It's automatically placed into this directory on MACs:
    /Library/Unity/Asset Store/Viking Village.unitypackage

When I try to import it just as I do with EVERY OTHER PACKAGE I purchase from the Asset Store that imports just correctly, nothing happens. I've gotten these 2 errors:

"Error while importing package: Package has unknown format
    UnityEditor.AssetStoreContext:OpenPackage(String)"​

"Error while importing package: Package has unknown format"​

Tech Support keeps pointing me to solutions that imply I'm doing something wrong but, I'm wondering if anyone has actually checked the file to ensure it was processed properly.

29. Korno

Korno

Sorry to necro this thread, but I am having exactly the same problem. I have downloaded it three times and yet everytime it says it cant be decompressed when I try to import it. Im running on a Mac if that makes any difference.

30. BHS

BHS

I fixed it by downloading it to a new project to the C drive in my documents folder. I was trying the D drive which seemed to be what was causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

31. bizilux1

bizilux1

got the same error with unity labs.

i tried BHS method, creating new project on my main C drive, and it worked.
    even though that is highly against my wishes, since C drive is SSD drive, i dont put stuff like that on it

32. BrunoCiccone

BrunoCiccone

Dear Unity,

We love you. We really do, but I keep getting the runaround from your tech support contact concerning the Viking Village asset. I've never had a problem with assets or packages not importing, including one's I've bought recently. Can you please resolve this problem for all of us who are having an issue with this asset and Unity 5?

My last email from tech support told me to contact the publisher of the asset. YOU are listed as the publisher for this asset, which leads me to believe that no one has even bothered to check if there's a problem. Many of us would really appreciate a solution or fix. If the lower level support staff can't resolve this, please pass it on to someone higher up the technology chain.

If you can't resolve this, please just take the asset out of the Asset Store, because if this is supposed to represent the technology advances of Unity 5, it's not working very well.

Best always,
    Bruno

33. bizilux1

bizilux1

haha Bruno thats funny, so did you contact the publisher of the asset? :D

BrunoCiccone likes this.
  34. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I don't have an official answer, as I'm not part of the Asset Store Team. However, I've been able to download this asset without a problem, and most people don't have a problem - so - let's try to find something in common with your systems.

Can you please tell us as much detail as possible? Like: Unity Version (I assume 5.0 or 5.0.1, but please, still tell us), OS (Win? Mac?) and Version (10.8? 8.1?), connection type (DSL, Dial-up, Carrier Pigeon?) Anything else that will help us figure out what the issue is and why you (collectively) as a small, but not insignificant number of people can't get this package?

35. BrunoCiccone

BrunoCiccone

Thank you Adam. I'm more concerned about a potential Unity 5 incompatibility issue or bug moving forward than I am about this asset.

Unity 5.0.0b9 Professional – AT&T Uverse connection 14.07 Mbps Download, 4.68 Upload – iMac 27" – OSX 10.9.5 – 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 – 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

I reinstalled Unity yesterday:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 6.58.30 AM.png

I imported Viking Village yesterday and got this message:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 7.00.33 AM.png

This is the message I got from previous attempts before reinstalling Unity:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.28.11 AM.png

I also have these Unity versions on my system:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 6.56.20 AM.png

36. BrunoCiccone

BrunoCiccone

Adam, Thanks again. Issue resolved. I removed Unity 5.0.0 and 5.0.0b9 from my directory. Apparently Unity was launching in 5.0.0b9 instead of the new version 5.0.1f1 I installed recently. There must be a significant difference between 5.0.0b9 and 5.0.1f1 that resolved the issue.

I overlooked this because when I "Checked for Update" with Unity 5.0.0b9, it told me "The Unity Editor is up to date." Apparently, it's just checking if that version is up to date locally and not with your servers? Maybe that's something that needs to be looked at.

Just some feedback about the Asset Store that I wish you'd forward to the correct parties. From a Customer Service perspective, while I and others do understand that the Asset Store is "separate" in some ways from your software division, the boiler plate customer service they provide pales in comparison to the outstanding support I'm used to seeing in the forum. If I were Unity, I might want to provide a flawless experience with any service that had my name on.

Thanks for the great software!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Interesting... Good catch.

I'll try to highlight this issue, but could you write a bug report about the updater saying a beta build is up-to-date when it's clearly 2 versions behind?

38. BrunoCiccone

BrunoCiccone

Thanks again for stepping in. I'll do that.

39. aharnam

aharnam

The issue still exists using Unity 5.0.2f1 on a Mac, stuck at 35% for > 30 mins

40. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Has the package simply hung? Or are you getting the same "package has unknown format error that the other people are reporting?

If it has simply hung, have you tried again?

The reason that I ask, is that I just downloaded the Viking Village package yesterday with no problems.

If you are still continuing to have problems can you give us more information about your system? What version of unity? What machine, operating system, et cetera?

41. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

I’ve been trying for some time now to download the free asset Demo Unity Labs from the asset store to no avail. It seems to download to a random percentage sometimes 18% sometime 51% but every time it is incomplete. I’m pulling my hair out here.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core 4.01 GHz
    RAM: 16.0 GB
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 GAMING 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support
    Primary Storage: SEAGATE BARRACUDA XT 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0GBPS DESKTOP HARD DRIVE

Unity is version 5.1.2f1 Personal

Any help with this would be appreciated.

42. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

OK guys I found out what it was for me at least. I had to make sure there was at least 16 GB free on my c: drive for the download. I use an SSD drive for my OS and usually store everything else on My 2TB D drive. Since the asset Store downloads are stored onto the c drive in the Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x folder, I had to make sure there was enough space available to download it. These are huge example project files and demand a large amount if storage.

43. KingLlama

KingLlama

I'm running into this era.
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()

44. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

I have same problem. nothing i do seems to fix this. any updates on this?

45. P4feU

P4feU

(found this topic in one of the reviews, so ill just undig this topic)
    Since this is free, can anyone provide direct link to download the package?

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Just open the asset store window in Unity (or go to the Asset Store on the web) and search for "Viking Village".

And please make sure you have enough free space to download and decompress this rather large package.

47. maki47

maki47

Any update on this one? I have the same problem, got this error when I tried to import the package: "Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()". I have more than enough space on my C drive.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

IIRC, you'll need enough space for the download and the decompression; which can be twice or more than expected. If it's a X-gb download, you'll need at least 2*X-gb of space.

49. maki47

maki47

Thanks for your response. It's 841.1 MB or let's say to 1GB, so basically I need x2 = 2GB, let's make it 4GB. My Drive free space is 310GB. Isn't it a lot more enough for it to work?

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If you are still having issues, then I'd suggest raising a bug report with the in-editor bug reporter as it will take a snapshot of your configuration and may help the support technicians with your issue, as it seem hard to reproduce. I can download it on both my Mac and my Windows machine... :-/ Sorry to be a pain, but I'm unclear what in your set up is causing the issue.

unityunity